• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your opinion on ACNL music?

The music is alright but the GC version is definitely my favorite. I wish we could change it somehow to older soundtracks.

Btw my favorite from NL is 9pm :3

GCN had way more synth/keyboard melodies, Wild World had more of an accordian/horn/percussion thing going, and New Leaf has a lot more string instruments and piano, at least from what I noticed. I never played City Folk, so I'm not going to pass judgement on it.

Anyway, let's get some statistics up in here. Each hourly track was compared between games, but not to other hourly tracks within the same game. Lower numbers are better:

12am1am2am3am4am5am6am7am8am9am10am11am
GCN233131211121
WW121222332332
NL312313123213

12pm1pm2pm3pm4pm5pm6pm7pm8pm9pm10pm11pmAverage
GCN3313112111331.92
WW2221331333112.13
NL1132223222221.96

So I like the GCN soundtrack the most, but only barely. Also, all three games have amazing 8am songs.

Last edited:
I really love all of the music, and I am pretty new so every time I pick up the game at a new hour I am surprised by the music. I might get tired of it eventually though. I am migraine prone and although the music doesn't hurt my head I can't play with 3d on, even on low settings. It makes me feel really sick.

GCN had way more synth/keyboard melodies, Wild World had more of an accordian/horn/percussion thing going, and New Leaf has a lot more string instruments and piano, at least from what I noticed. I never played City Folk, so I'm not going to pass judgement on it.

Anyway, let's get some statistics up in here. Each hourly track was compared between games, but not to other hourly tracks within the same game. Lower numbers are better:

GCN233131211121
WW121222332332
NL312313123213

GCN3313112111331.92
WW2221331333112.13
NL1132223222221.96

So I like the GCN soundtrack the most, but only barely. Also, all three games have amazing 8am songs.
That's so detailed... that must have taken a lot of effort.

I enjoy New Leaf's music enough that at times when I don't even feel like necessarily doing anything productive in-game, I'll still turn it on so I can listen to the music. Times I have done that for are (but not limited to): 5PM, 7PM, 11PM, 1AM, 2AM. I also enjoy the mellow tunes on the Island at night, but they're SO relaxing that sometimes they put me to sleep when I'm beetle-hunting. Hahaha.

I suppose I'm strange in the sense that I don't mind repetitive music. Heck, even when I hear a song that I really like, sometimes I'll duplicate it on my playlist multiple times just so I can keep listening to it. And it's mostly true for music that doesn't have words. From an artistic point of view, I find it very inspiring and I also like to write when listening to music like that, as well. Animal Crossing: New Leaf's tunes fit right into those categories. I could honestly listen to them for hours and not get annoyed. It's like having a nice background sound to whatever it is that I'm doing, be it in the game or outside of it. I find that it also helps my mood if I'm feeling particularly stressed/irritated/depressed, etc.

That's just my view on it, though!

I enjoy New Leaf's music enough that at times when I don't even feel like necessarily doing anything productive in-game, I'll still turn it on so I can listen to the music. Times I have done that for are (but not limited to): 5PM, 7PM, 11PM, 1AM, 2AM. I also enjoy the mellow tunes on the Island at night, but they're SO relaxing that sometimes they put me to sleep when I'm beetle-hunting. Hahaha.

I suppose I'm strange in the sense that I don't mind repetitive music. Heck, even when I hear a song that I really like, sometimes I'll duplicate it on my playlist multiple times just so I can keep listening to it. And it's mostly true for music that doesn't have words. From an artistic point of view, I find it very inspiring and I also like to write when listening to music like that, as well. Animal Crossing: New Leaf's tunes fit right into those categories. I could honestly listen to them for hours and not get annoyed. It's like having a nice background sound to whatever it is that I'm doing, be it in the game or outside of it. I find that it also helps my mood if I'm feeling particularly stressed/irritated/depressed, etc.

That's just my view on it, though!
I feel the exact same! Although, I can only tolerate repetitive yet well-written game music rather than repetitive regular music. Weird...

I think the music in New Leaf is above average. At the bare minimum, I find the all the music to be at least tolerable. some are catchy in a good way.

My favorite tracks would be the 8pm and 12 pm tracks as I love piano music and they have a tranquil feeling to it, but that might just be me though.

I think the music in New Leaf is above average. At the bare minimum, I find the all the music to be at least tolerable. some are catchy in a good way.

My favorite tracks would be the 8pm and 12 pm tracks as I love piano music and they have a tranquil feeling to it, but that might just be me though.

I couldn't agree more! A lot of it is really catchy and I think that's why it doesn't really start to get on my nerves when it repeats over and over.

I love the piano themes in general. The amount of piano tunes in the game makes me incredibly happy. I'm a sucker for beautiful piano (also jazz/ragtime piano, but there isn't anything like that in AC. haha) and that's why 7PM, 11PM, and 1AM are some of my absolute favorites.

I feel the exact same! Although, I can only tolerate repetitive yet well-written game music rather than repetitive regular music. Weird...

I think it's an acquired taste, maybe? I'm not all that big on regular music in a lot of ways, either (unless it's classical/orchestrated). But since I grew up gaming from a very young age all the way until the current date, I've become very accustomed to listening to repetitive themes (since video game music tends to be short and hits refrain areas many times to repeat several parts). It's become my music of choice and what I find the most inspiring. I try not to question it too much, nor the weird looks I might for my preferences, and just enjoy what I enjoy.

Last edited:
In my opinion, 3pm, 5pm, and 6pm were so relaxing in ww :D especially 6pm because it's pretty much like "It's time to settle down after a long day"

Yeah, I always play WW around that time, the music really fits the atmosphere.
Even the title theme music is so welcoming. Just starting the game, hearing the song, then you press start/A and be greeted with, "Hello! You came to play, did you?"

Just opened my WW file again and now I'm sad ;_;

I don't really like the ACNL music at all tbh, I find it really boring and forgettable, and some of the hourly music kind of gets on my nerves (3pm music I'm looking at you!). The ACWW music on the other hand I found wonderful, I still listen to the soundtrack on youtube sometimes. I don't know if it's a nostalgia thing, but I think ACWW music was just better, it seemed to have more personality, whereas ACNL music I find SO bland. I actually used to look forward to playing ACWW at certain times because of the music..8pm and 1am music were the best!

It's.. okay, but repetitive eventually. I think it really just gets annoying, and I wish I had the option to turn the music off completely. Before someone says to mute the 3DS, I mean where I can still here myself walking, speaking with villagers, etc.. unless there's something already like that?
I like the hourly night music better, also.

Compared to Wild World and especially the original's soundtrack, it's pretty underwhelming.
They're only a few tracks that are excellent, while the rest are kinda bland and forgettable (If 10 AM is not a prime example, I don't know what is.)
I know I'm pissing off a lot of people, considering that New Leaf's their first game. But, that's how I honestly feel.

Even the title theme music is so welcoming. Just starting the game, hearing the song, then you press start/A and be greeted with, "Hello! You came to play, did you?"

Just opened my WW file again and now I'm sad ;_;

Yes! I remember this! It makes me sad to think about it, though... :(

I like the New Leaf music, but I find it with not as much personality as Wild World. It seems as if every hour is an altered version of the opening title, if you think about it. :/

The hours I play the most have the most annoying songs in my opinion (11am-4 or 5pm). The early morning, night, and rainy songs are the best. ACGC music is much better to me :)

It's alright. Since I play at the same usual time it eventually gets my nerves so I turn the volume off. The music is night is my favorite though since it's more relaxing in my opinion.

i like new leaf music, idk how it could cause headaches to be honest, thats a bit extreme lol...

my favorite was animal crossing game cube

GCN233131211121
WW121222332332
NL312313123213

GCN3313112111331.92
WW2221331333112.13
NL1132223222221.96

I've noticed this too. Except, in NL, I also sometimes hear a clarinet/flute melody (Like in the Town Hall music and 3am)

Back