• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Error While Traveling?

spacefawn

Bells
I'm supposed to do a trade with someone from Australia, but whenever they try to come to my town, they get an error sign, and vice versa. I live in the USA, East Coast, so I assume distance has something to do with it?
Is there a way we can fix this?

I'm supposed to do a trade with someone from Australia, but whenever they try to come to my town, they get an error sign, and vice versa. I live in the USA, East Coast, so I assume distance has something to do with it?
Is there a way we can fix this?
Sometimes your DS' cant connect. I had the same issue but from US to UK

I traded with people from Australia/the States plenty of times and I live in Europe, if there ever was a problem it was because of someone's wifi. Maybe try to switch the button on the side of your 3DS and switch it back? Or fix your wifi? Or tell them to fix their wifi. That's all I can think about.

Good luck! n_n

I traded with people from Australia/the States plenty of times and I live in Europe, if there ever was a problem it was because of someone's wifi. Maybe try to switch the button on the side of your 3DS and switch it back? Or fix your wifi? Or tell them to fix their wifi. That's all I can think about.

Good luck! n_n

I agree and was going to say the same thing. Almost always a wi-fi issue on one end or the other.

I don't want to be rude or sound ignorant, but have you tried opening and closing the gates?
Sometimes it happens to me and my sister, we just can't connect, but then we both open and close our gates and we can trade again. Pretty weird but hey, if it works, I hope this helps you.

I have heard of people who simply cannot connect to each other, but I've never heard any explanation. I do think it can simply be wifi. I don't think Lois447's suggest is weird at all. I have even closed the game and powered off the DS before reopening the gates and had that solve the problem. I am US, and I have friends in Ireland, England and one in Australia and I've never had an issue. Hope you can get connected!

For some reason, the 3DS connection appears to be very unstable. My wifi at both locations where I use my 3DS is strong and hardly ever cuts out, only in case of thunderstorms or something. However, I get an "error" about every ten minutes or less on average when playing with others, no natter who the person is. :/

Does it happen regularly at the same time(i.e., it always cuts out upon the visitor arriving to the town)? If so, then it may be a specific issue. But if not, then it may just be the 3DS connection. Try turning things off and back on again, restarting, closing and opening gates, etc. And save very frequently when you have people over.

is the error code 018-512/511 by any chance?
i almost always get that error when wi-fi-ing, it's nothing to do with the connection, there's just an incompatibility there that stops certain people from wi-fi-ing (nintendo says it's to do with the router)
no amount of shutting off the 3ds or opening and closing gates will help unfortunately :/

maybe try updating from the main menu? i've heard that's worked for some people.

Back