• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Any advice on catching a Gar?

R00T

Bells
Switch
8390-1249-1811
I'm having the hardest time finding this fish. I save and continue all the time hoping for it to spawn but it never does.

Any tips from those who have caught it?

I wish I could help considering I caught one, but it was completely by accident and I don't even know what I did. And of course it was in my second town that I barely started. I can't seem to catch one in my main.

Just keep fishing. Fish, and fish, and fish. Look for the larger shadows in the stream. I caught mine by complete accident too when I was fishing up near the top of my town.

Instead of looking for it at the bottom of the waterfall, try for the top of it. Thats how i caught mine.

Edit: Sorry, ignore that, i misread it and thought you said char, not gar.

Last edited:
Gar are biiiig shadows, and finding one is really just up to luck :[ Like others have said, keep at it, but don't get too burned out (I didn't fish for a long time once after binge fishing for another rare species). You're sure to catch one sooner or later!

Save and continue. The gar is a really large shadow, like huge. If you don't see one, then save and continue and keep trekking.

In my towns,I usually find the big river fish near the bridges.The AC Wiki says the gar is found in the river pool but the ones I've caught this summer were near a bridge.

You probably know that they're river fish, and their shadows are really big. I think they might be starting to go out of season too though, so that might be another explanation.

Back