• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Thousands of pro-democracy protestors in Hong Kong

Okay, how about this...

I was going to make a post myself but I saw this thread and decided to comment.

Occupy Central is a huge deal, Hong Kong is know for civil obedience and doing exactly what it's told to do, but you can only walk on someone so many time. Hong Kongers are amazingly polite people, and are very loyal and giving. But what has been done to them is unforgivable. There was an agreement in 1997 that stated the Hong Kong was to have freedoms unlike any other city in the great nation of China, such as the ability to elect their own leaders as opposed to having them appointed. And China is slowly chipping away at those rights, and their latests chip caused a massive crack. They basically took away that right, which was a part of the agreement to their return to the mainland.

The people of Hong Kong have every right to be pissed off about this, and they are not following the rules. Protests have to be filed with the police before they happen, and get their approval. BS, right? Hong Kongers feel there is a great injustice that has befallen them, their very rights they were promised have been taken away. They are tired of bowing their heads and accepting the blows to their given democracy, that China is leaching away from them. They want this to stop, they want their rights back, they want the rights promised to them.

And I for one applaud the fight.

The protests are amazingly peaceful, no guns, no fights, just people standing and sitting in the streets of the financial district. They have taken pepper spray to the face, tear gas raining upon them, but thousands of people no longer want to sit by and watch their rights being taken, they want their voices to be heard and they want their bloody rights!

This is the very thing America was founded on, and I for one am shocked that people are so indifferent to humans fighting for the right to election in such passive posts. Yes, this is a forum, but while you sit cushy with your freedom to elect whoever you please, people on the other side of the earth are fighting for that very right. You should take some honour and pride in that, and support their plyth. Hong Kongers are fighting a terrible uphill battle and even a little support will be appreciated by them all. Hong Kongers are amazingly nice, polite and respectful people, they are just trying to gain what was promised to them.

#Occupy Central

According to analysis today in the Japanese news program NHK Newsline, quite a few 'notable' people in the financial district have a problem with the protests due to their proximity, and wish it were taking place in a more 'convenient' area.

Because protests should definitely take place where they are unlikely to garner attention by disrupting the centers of influence and power. Grandma's Bakery is a far more suitable location for an issue as quaint as institutionally enshrined democratic rights.

Okay, how about this...

I was going to make a post myself but I saw this thread and decided to comment.

Occupy Central is a huge deal, Hong Kong is know for civil obedience and doing exactly what it's told to do, but you can only walk on someone so many time. Hong Kongers are amazingly polite people, and are very loyal and giving. But what has been done to them is unforgivable. There was an agreement in 1997 that stated the Hong Kong was to have freedoms unlike any other city in the great nation of China, such as the ability to elect their own leaders as opposed to having them appointed. And China is slowly chipping away at those rights, and their latests chip caused a massive crack. They basically took away that right, which was a part of the agreement to their return to the mainland.

The people of Hong Kong have every right to be pissed off about this, and they are not following the rules. Protests have to be filed with the police before they happen, and get their approval. BS, right? Hong Kongers feel there is a great injustice that has befallen them, their very rights they were promised have been taken away. They are tired of bowing their heads and accepting the blows to their given democracy, that China is leaching away from them. They want this to stop, they want their rights back, they want the rights promised to them.

And I for one applaud the fight.

The protests are amazingly peaceful, no guns, no fights, just people standing and sitting in the streets of the financial district. They have taken pepper spray to the face, tear gas raining upon them, but thousands of people no longer want to sit by and watch their rights being taken, they want their voices to be heard and they want their bloody rights!

This is the very thing America was founded on, and I for one am shocked that people are so indifferent to humans fighting for the right to election in such passive posts. Yes, this is a forum, but while you sit cushy with your freedom to elect whoever you please, people on the other side of the earth are fighting for that very right. You should take some honour and pride in that, and support their plyth. Hong Kongers are fighting a terrible uphill battle and even a little support will be appreciated by them all. Hong Kongers are amazingly nice, polite and respectful people, they are just trying to gain what was promised to them.

#Occupy Central

Well, we all support it but let's be real, is it actually going to change anything?

Good for those people, I support them in their goal for democracy through peace. Bless them.

Well, we all support it but let's be real, is it actually going to change anything?

It has the attention of the world. China is gonna feel pressure from the UK at the very least to honour their agreement, as it was part of the original treaty to do so, and on top of that America will try to play the police between China and HK (because let's be honest, we all know America is the police of the world and loves that position). On top of that, I doubt the people of Hong Kong will stop any time soon, it has been a powder keg waiting to explode like this for a while. Protests are common in Hong Kong, but never have they been on this magnitude.

Change like this is always slow, but if Hong Kongers don't give up, they will actually affect the economy of the city, and that in turn will make changes happen faster. That is why the protests are taking place in Central. There can be a change, thousands of people cannot go unheard. China is a totalitarian state but even they don't want an uprising, and this is the beginnings of one.

Change will not happen tomorrow, or within a year. But if Hong Kongers don't stand down, change will come.

From what I gather, since Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region, which entails autonomy in domestic matters, the use of military force would entail the request of support by the Hong Kong government, yet would still be an international political minefield for mainland China since such actions brings into question the bilateral agreement that established the SAR in the first place and Article 31 of their Constitution. Although it is easy to see meddling by an overbearing mainland China on Hong Kong politics, it is one thing to 'vet candidates' and postpone elections, and quite another to roll in with tanks.

Last edited:
From what I gather, since Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region, which entails autonomy in domestic matters, the use of military force would entail the request of support by the Hong Kong government, yet would still be an international political minefield for mainland China since such actions brings into question the bilateral agreement that established the SAR in the first place and Article 31 of their Constitution. Although it is easy to see meddling by an overbearing mainland China on Hong Kong politics, it is one thing to 'vet candidates' and postpone elections, and quite another to roll in with tanks.

This. All this.

Hong Kong is part of China, but at the same time it is not. It's a very sticky situation and I doubt that China would call in tanks, especially after the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

Hong Kong is part of China, but at the same time it is not. It's a very sticky situation and I doubt that China would call in tanks, especially after the Tiananmen Square Massacre.
Indeed. Certainly, mainland China is often seen as a bully by its East Asian neighbors (e.g., because of aggressive territorial disputes), and is oppressive toward its people, but it is far more responsive and sensitive to international political opinion and pressure than for example North Korea because it wishes to portray itself as a world leader and as respectful of law and order, especially now as the world's second largest economy. In other words, it makes business sense for mainland China not to alienate the international community.

Now whether its history stacks up to the desired public image is one matter. Nonetheless, the mere desire to portray that public image means that mainland China would be hesitant to **** on its public image as a 'leader' and 'modern' society by giving the world another Tiannamen Square to point to, especially one in an area it specifically guaranteed domestic autonomy to in an agreement with Britain and in an article of its Constitution.

I applaud that their fighting for their rights, however I am a little worried as some of my relatives live there.

Back