• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Anyone celebrate Día de los Muertos?

Leela

no
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
White Lily
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Me and my friends plan on celebrating D?a de los Muertos this year :D but living in the UK, I've never been to one of these festivals. If you celebrate it, what do you like to do? I can google it of course, but something original to add the the party would be really nice :)

Oh, and we're celebrating it on the 2nd of November (the last day, I believe) so we have plenty of time to prepare ;)

Yeah but I don't remember the date for us. It's a cross cultural thing btw.

Also it's not really a party in my culture, more of a day of mourning.

Last edited:
I see, I always thought it was a way to celebrate the lives of deceased loved ones. I think it is for some people :3

I see, I always thought it was a way to celebrate the lives of deceased loved ones. I think it is for some people :3

Oh yeah definitely, it just depends on the culture! :)

We usually just make a donation and have a dinner.

Last edited:
I think we're going to go to the graveyard and put flowers on all of the graves :)

It's also close to Bonfire Night, so I think there'll be lots of fireworks... I hope not, it would kind of ruin the atmosphere haha

i'm pretty sure we have some kind of event where i live. i live in the rio grande valley and so there's lots of mexicans here (i am one myself). i think the most i'm going to celebrate is to go watch the book of life.

Wow, I've never met anyone who even knew what that was outside of Mexico and America, let alone actually going to do a celebration of sorts. Not that I'm implying everyone is unaware of it or can't do their thing. Even a few Canadian friends of mine were like wat.

Well, my Spanish teacher told us a little bit about it and I thought it sounded good :D

Last edited:
Ooh aha well that makes sense. It's quite interesting and I see a lot of stuff related to it, since I live in Los Angeles. Too bad you can't visit Olvera Street, it's this cool Mexican outdoor mall sort of area by downtown LA. They do big D?a de los Muertos stuff :eek:

Last edited:
Nope I'm not Mexican & believe it's wrong to appropriate their sacred holiday.

I've never celebrated it myself. Nor do I think I've ever really seen anyone else "celebrate" it. Even in Olvera Street, it's just kind of there. There's not a parade or any dancers or music. It's just like "hey it's that time buy your things if you want/need it". It's just pretty large and in charge.

Last edited:
Sacred holidays have to do with religion though. List of sacred holidays. It says All Saints and All Souls are Christian/Catholic Christian holidays.
Listen to what actual Mexicans are saying about it perhaps???

http://this-is-not-our-dia.tumblr.com/post/35571095189/appreciation-versus-appropriation

"It’s a significant, even holy day that has incredibly sacred meaning attached to it. It’s not our version of commercialized Halloween, it’s not the Mexican version of All Saint’s Day – it’s a day unto itself that resulted from a mezcla of Catholic traditions and indigenous practices."

wikipedia lists is as Cultural and Synthetic Christian and that it's only observed by mexico and large regions with hispanic populations, such as where i live. although not in mexico, we're really close and there's lots and lots of people here.
reading further, it says that in the us, dia de los muertos is commonly used to make an artistic or political statement. other countries in europe and southeast asia has similar festivals but are not exactly dia de los muertos.

E:
well, i hear people bake candy skeletons into bread.

well there is something thats called pan de muerto (bread of the dead), which are either shaped as bread with bones on top or skulls. i don't think ive heard of 'baking candy skeletons' into bread but something similar are the sugar skulls that people make. they can be made of pure sugar or other candies and are decorated. i've seen some pictures of sugar skull displays with flowers and such.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sacred holidays have to do with religion though. List of sacred holidays. It says All Saints and All Souls are Christian/Catholic Christian holidays.

Listen to what actual Mexicans are saying about it perhaps???

http://this-is-not-our-dia.tumblr.com/post/35571095189/appreciation-versus-appropriation

"It?s a significant, even holy day that has incredibly sacred meaning attached to it. It?s not our version of commercialized Halloween, it?s not the Mexican version of All Saint?s Day ? it?s a day unto itself that resulted from a mezcla of Catholic traditions and indigenous practices."

dia de los muertos started long long time ago and there are significant ties with religion. there's santa muerte, people make small shrines in their houses, and lots stay by or sleep by their relative's graves all night. dia de los muertos has everything to do with religion and it's about honoring dead relatives.

Wikipedia said:
The Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico can be traced back to a pre-Columbian past. Rituals celebrating the deaths of ancestors had been observed by these civilizations perhaps for as long as 2,500?3,000 years.

if you go to mexico or really any region that celebrates it, you'll see altars and shrines and people praying and priests everywhere. so, mariah, it does have to do with religion.
look at me talking so much about this hhaha ahah ha

Last edited:
I'm Mexican and my family has never celebrated the event. well no that I remember. We did however celebrate it in my Spanish class in high school. It doesn't seem like its celebrated much here in TN from what I know. Here in the part where I live has a big Hispanic population.

Cosmonaut, what I meant was that yes, it does have to do with religion. Motte was saying it was a Mexican cultural thing. Mexican isn't a religion.

Cosmonaut, what I meant was that yes, it does have to do with religion. Motte was saying it was a Mexican cultural thing. Mexican isn't a religion.
This thread pertains to D?a de Muertos; it's a Mexican holiday, therefore, yes, it has everything to do with their culture. Who said being Mexican was a religion, what are you on about? I think we're all aware that Mexican is simply describing the nationality - perhaps you're not?
What you did was nitpick my use of the word sacred, then link me to some random website where D?a de Muertos isn't listed as a religious holiday. Take your foot out of your mouth.

This thread pertains to D?a de Muertos; it's a Mexican holiday, therefore, yes, it has everything to do with their culture. Who said being Mexican was a religion, what are you on about? I think we're all aware that Mexican is simply describing the nationality - perhaps you're not?
What you did was nitpick my use of the word sacred, then link me to some random website where D?a de Muertos isn't listed as a religious holiday. Take your foot out of your mouth.

What is your problem? You're just trying to fight like some Tumblr Justice League idiot. Get down off your high horse. You can't nitpick this entire thread and then get mad at Mariah because she blew you out of the water in a small sentence. No one else here got angry except you, which you've seem to have done on other threads. You got some anger issues, this was a civil thread and you turned it to trash.

Back