• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Having kids

I'm sorry someone brushed off you're insomnia like that, that was incredibly rude and ignorant.

Having kids doesn't make you some great person, and neither does not having kids.

That woman has no right to tell you when you can and can't be tired, especially since you have insomnia. That's not something you can help all the time. She especially does not have the right to be condescending to you just because she has kids. Granted, while parenthood is a difficult thing and anyone who chooses to do it and does it well deserves credit, it doesn't make them a "better" person. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't have kids that still contribute to society and what not.

Wow, how rude of that woman, I can definitely relate.

I'm 23 and have never wanted kids. I love them and don't mind babysitting from time to time but don't want any of my own. I also have been battling reproductive issues for the last couple years and based on what my doctor says I may never be able to have a baby, which is fine. It's something I've made peace with. All that being said, I can't stand it when people tell me that I'll change my minds about kids... Between one of my past babysitting jobs (super long story) and working in retail my mind is firmly made lol. And I can't stand people like the OP's coworker. I have insomnia as well, work odd hours for my job and the hormones I have to take for my reproductive issues tend to make me either tired, nauseous or give me a headache - just depends on the day. I understand that taking care of kids is alot of work... I mean, I once babysat 3 kids for a couple of days, so I know. I just can't stand it when my problems are trivialized because I don't have any kids.

Just try telling someone you don't want kids. The constant reply is 'you'll change' or 'you're not old enough yet to make that decision'. Yeah um thanks. I'm old enough to consent to surgery, marriage, drink etc. I'm old enough to do a degree which will likely determine my career path for the next 40 or 50 years. But I'm not old enough to decide I don't want to surrender my uterus to some sprogs. Hmm.

Another thing people can't seem to comprehend is that, whilst I like kids, I do not want one of my own. People around me just can't seem to wrap their heads around that. It's like. I like raccoons. But I don't wanna have one in my house. Actually that's a complete lie I really want a raccoon.

But oh my gosh talking about people not being 'accomplished' till they have kids. There's this submission on stfu parents where some chick has just received a doctorate in neuroscience or something awesome, and some genius has commented 'now you just need the title mommy : ) ' like um. Nah. Pretty sure she's k with the super rad title 'Doctor'.

Also I'd take the opportunity to completely troll the hell outta this woman. Every time you yawn, jump backwards and look absolutely terrified. Tell everyone you can't comprehend why someone like you, childless and bookish, would even yawn or have the right to be tired. Maybe do a fake phone call to 911 or something and ask them if it's a normal body function to feel tired WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS. Report yourself to the police as a tiredness imposter. Beg for forgiveness. Become a martyr. Say you'd been inflicted with tiredness by a higher power, despite not having kids. Tell her you finally understand what it's like to suffer. Ask her to inflict her tiredness upon you, so you can die for her sins.

Last edited:
OP, reading between the lines, it seems like your coworker is a person who needs to look down on people to make themselves feel better. If you DID have a kid, she would just pick something else to try to bring you down. Some people are just like that.

My advice, which you are of course free to ignore, is to not engage this woman as much as possible. I have dealt with b1tches like this my whole life, and I have done it both ways... That is either fully engage and argue with them or to deflect and not engage. Not engaging has worked better for me. As my mom always says, you avoid dung because its dirty, not because you are afraid of it.

Next time she says you look sleepy, dont tell her the truth, just say you went out with your friends, its tiring. Keep it vague, dont give her details. She is not your mom, or friend, or teacher, you owe her nothing - You dont need to report to her in anyway.

Good luck, dealing with judgmental nosy coworkers are the worst.

Back