What's the last movie you've seen?

Saw Five Nights at Freddy's on Friday, and surprise to say, really enjoyed it.

I use to be a fan, a passive one though, during the original trilogy and nothing more, so my expectation was low. Had a good time though and caught a lot of the easter eggs than I thought I would.

I don't watch a lot of movies, I'm not a big fan. But during my last vacation which ended at the beginning of August, my boyfriend insisted that we go see ✨Elemental✨. Well, it was me who chose the film but I was so lazy. Well I really liked it! It's quite predictable in the end but it's refreshing and fun. The love story, for once, I find cute. It was a really good time. Now, I'm more into horror films, there are quite a few that have obviously come out but I'm alone so I can't go see them because going to the cinema alone isn't very fun.

I intended to post at least once last week to continue chronicling my October horror movie marathon, but my free time was pretty much dedicated to the Halloween events here on the forums like the Nightmare in Paradise and Forbidden Fortunes so I never got around to posting here.

I'll keep it shorter than the other posts, especially since I only got around to one thing I hadn't seen before, everything else being revisiting favorites.

Between the span of Saturday the 21st and Friday the 27th, I watched:

Revisits
- Night of the Creeps (1986, directed by Fred Dekker)
- Re-Animator (1985, directed by Stuart Gordon)
- Suspiria (1977, directed by Dario Argento)
- The Lost Boys (1987, directed by Joel Schumacher)
- The Monster Squad (1987, directed by Fred Dekker)

First Time Watching
- The Curse of the Werewolf (1961, directed by Terence Fisher)

---

After that,

Saturday, October 28th
On Saturday night I revisited Tom Holland's 1985 movie Fright Night and followed it with John Landis' 1981 movie An American Werewolf in London.

Sunday, October 29th
Yesterday night I revisited Mary Lambert's 1989 film adaptation of Stephen King's novel Pet Sematary and Dario Argento's 1980 movie Inferno.

Monday, October 30th
Today I revisited Rob Zombie's 2003 movie House of 1000 Corpses and George A. Romero's 1982 movie Creepshow.

---

Tomorrow's the big one! Day off that can be fully dedicated to an all-day marathon. I'll post tomorrow with the list. 🎃

Yesterday was the big day, Halloween, and that means a day off and full marathon.

I revisited:

- Dracula (1931, directed by Tod Browning)
- Frankenstein (1931, directed by James Whale)
- Bride of Frankenstein (1935, directed by James Whale)
- Son of Frankenstein (1939, directed by Rowland V. Lee)
- The Invisible Man (1933, directed by James Whale)
- The Wolf Man (1941, directed by George Waggner)
- The Mummy (1959, directed by Terence Fisher)
- The Return of the Living Dead (1985, directed by Dan O'Bannon)
- Trick 'R Treat (2007, directed by Michael Dougherty)
- Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982, directed by Tommy Lee Wallace)

So, primarily a classic Universal Monsters marathon alongside two of my favorite Halloween-themed movies (Trick 'R Treat and Halloween III: Season of the Witch) and my favorite movie in general (The Return of the Living Dead). That said, instead of the 1932 classic Universal version of The Mummy (which I still like, mind you), I always tend to opt for the 1959 British version from Hammer Film Productions featuring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee since it's a great movie and also more of what you'd expect from a mummy; slow, shambling, wrapped in bandages, etc.

Yes, I had to wake up quite early, but it was worth it as ever. I kind of wish I bumped one of those back to Monday so I could've fit the 1959 Vincent Price classic The House on Haunted Hill, but alas. Maybe next October I'll bump The Invisible Man to the 30th.

The train doesn't stop there though, October and the main marathon are over but I do a little something special, and nowhere near as crazy, for November 1st and 2nd so I'll post one more time tomorrow or Friday.

Technically The Nightmare Before Christmas yesterday. But that was a rewatch.

The newest movie that I saw was The Invisible Man (2020). Someone mentioned this title in a Reddit post about movies with understandable female rage. By God, was I rooting for her in the end. The ending was satisfying even if it was a bit ominous.

In theaters, I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D. I'd seen it before, but I haven't been the theater in years, so it was a nice experience.

On Halloween, I watched Sleepy Hollow (1999) and The Lost Boys (1987), and it was my first time watching both. I thought the mystery was set up pretty well on the former, and the latter is a movie I've been meaning to watch for ages now. In my head, I had pictured it ending as a tragedy, so I was kind of surprised - although I shouldn't have been, given the type of movie it was.

Watched Fellowship of the Ring extended last night, hoping to rewatch the rest of the extended trilogy soon, but I can't do it all at once, that's a lot of movie to sit through.
The last move especially. There's like three times it looks like the movie is wrapping up only to cut to the next scene lol.

I did something of a small Nickelodeon binge last night and watched three movies.

Hey Arnold!: The Movie: It was... okay. It wasn't completely devoid of charm, but the show's typical comedic stylings were simply not present for much of it, with very few jokes actually landing and the entire plot seemingly not given a lot of thought. I know some people who absolutely hate the film, and I suppose I can understand it, but I don't think I have enough passion to dislike it quite that much. Also, I don't know if this is a problem with the film itself or simply the way YouTube uploaded it, but it looks strangely jagged and pixelated, as if someone had turned off anti-aliasing in a video game. I'm wondering if it was a poor upscaling? The entire film just looked wrong.

The Rugrats Movie: My general opinion on the movie is probably the same as with every piece of Rugrats media. The scenes regarding the adults are more clever than I remember, the scenes with the children are less so. But it was decently fun. The plot was mostly cohesive, and while I kind of found myself groaning at its constant toilet jokes, it was decently fun. My main problem with the film's story is that the writers seem kind of inconsistent as to how aware Baby Dil is. The emotional through-line of the film is that Tommy has to take care of Dil because after all, he's just a baby, he doesn't know any better, and he can't take care of himself. But the movie resolves this issue by having Dil reward Tommy's efforts with an act of selflessness, as if he's become aware of the situation and wants to rectify it. Doing that I think undermines the actual point of the story. I also found the increased animation budget did not necessarily translate to a better looking film. The animation itself is more fluid and lively than the show, but the coloring, shading, and lighting give the film a very sickly color scheme and very uncanny sort of feeling. But otherwise, it's fine.

Rugrats in Paris: The Movie: This is one that I was surprised to find had such a high critical rating. I thought this movie was dreadful actually, made more frustrating by the fact that the makings of a good plot are there. I like the idea of exploring Chuckie and Chaz's desire for a new prominent mother figure in their lives, but despite a genuinely quite good initial ten minutes, the rest of the film nosedives into extremely outlandish plots with jokes and musical numbers that rarely if ever land. This one also suffered from a similar problem I was talking about with the Hey Arnold movie, where I can't tell if it's the movie looking really bad or if the film was just poorly upscaled for YouTube.

I did something of a small Nickelodeon binge last night and watched three movies.

Hey Arnold!: The Movie: It was... okay. It wasn't completely devoid of charm, but the show's typical comedic stylings were simply not present for much of it, with very few jokes actually landing and the entire plot seemingly not given a lot of thought. I know some people who absolutely hate the film, and I suppose I can understand it, but I don't think I have enough passion to dislike it quite that much. Also, I don't know if this is a problem with the film itself or simply the way YouTube uploaded it, but it looks strangely jagged and pixelated, as if someone had turned off anti-aliasing in a video game. I'm wondering if it was a poor upscaling? The entire film just looked wrong.
Didn't know that show had a movie. Well not one from its original run. Seeing mention of this reminded me that there was some kind of Hey Arnold Netflix adaption movie to. I had to look up the years and it's crazy to think it came out in 2017. I thought I heard about it in like 2020s. These 2020 years have been really screwy with the timing for me lol. It feels like not a lot of time and a lot of time has passed at the same time.

Didn't know that show had a movie. Well not one from its original run. Seeing mention of this reminded me that there was some kind of Hey Arnold Netflix adaption movie to. I had to look up the years and it's crazy to think it came out in 2017. I thought I heard about it in like 2020s. These 2020 years have been really screwy with the timing for me lol. It feels like not a lot of time and a lot of time has passed at the same time.
The movie from 2017 is one I remember actually being pretty good. Not without its issues, but a decent conclusion to the series nevertheless. I haven't watched it probably since 2017, however.

In theatres: Five Nights at Freddy's
At home: Coraline

FNAF movie was meh. IDK how you can make a movie about colorful killer animatronics painfully boring but they managed lmao
And Coraline was just as amazing as always, fantastic movie, probably Henry Selick and Laika's best ever

As per tradition over the past few years, I watched a few things on November 1st and 2nd to loosely coincide with Día de Muertos/Day of the Dead and to keep the spooky spirit around just a bit longer.

On Wednesday, I revisited the original, classic Night of the Living Dead which was released in 1968 by director George A. Romero. I also revisited director Lucio Fulci's 1979 movie Zombi 2, otherwise just known as Zombie.

Then, yesterday, I revisited the original 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead and followed it with the original 1985 Day of the Dead, both from director George A. Romero.

i’ve watched a few movies since i last posted in here, haha.

barbie (in theatres and at home)
i’ve watched and talked about barbie a lot over the past four months, but my first time seeing it was in theatres on opening night! i’d been excited for barbie ever since i first heard about it late last year. barbie dolls were one of my favourite toys growing up, and the casting for this movie was incredible! margot robbie and emma mackey my beloveds finally in the same movie, ncuti gatwa and connor swindells, america ferrera etc! i wasn’t sure what to think about ryan gosling as ken at first, but he turned out to be one of the biggest highlights of the movie for me! he was equal parts insane, sweet, funny and annoying; i don’t think anyone could have played ken better. 💖

barbie quickly became one of my all-time favourite movies, as well as a big comfort movie of mine. the aesthetic was absolutely incredible! i loved the fake water in the pools, the sticker of a stocked fridge instead of the fridge actually having real food in it, the food being plastic and there being nothing in milk cartons, glasses etc, barbie floating down from her house instead of taking the stairs, the exact same way i would put my dolls where i wanted them to go etc!! i also loved the inclusion of real dolls such as growing up skipper, midge, video camera barbie, etc! i actually owned a video camera barbie when i was younger, so i was especially excited about her!

i still don’t know how to put all of my thoughts about this movie into words, but it is such a good movie. seeing it in theatres, surrounded by strangers all wearing pink just like i was, was absolutely incredible and honestly kind of cathartic. i would do anything to be able to watch it for the first time again. 💖 i’ve been struggling with change, growing up, and how different my life looks for a while now, and barbie helped to soothe that a little. i’m struggling still, but it made my struggles feel seen in a way that nothing else has. i’m forever grateful for that.

live-action the little mermaid (at home)
the little mermaid (animated) has been one of my favourite movies and has brought me comfort ever since i was a kid. ariel is also my favourite disney princess. i’d been wanting a live-action the little mermaid for a long time, so i was super excited when this was finally announced! i was thinking about going to see this in theatres, but i ultimately decided to wait until it came out on disney+.

that being said, i didn’t like it as much as i thought i would. halle bailey was a gorgeous ariel, and i loved jessica alexander as vanessa. i was initially so excited about melissa mccarthy being cast as ursula, but i didn’t love her adaptation of the character as much as i thought i would, either.

i liked the parallels between ariel and eric that weren’t in the original movie; ariel feels controlled by her father and has a collection of artifacts from land, and eric feels controlled by his mother and has a collection of things from the ocean. max was also adorable. i loved that jodi benson made a cameo as well!

i’m not sure why i didn’t like the movie overall that much. it just didn’t have the same magic and charm that the original did, though maybe that has to do with me being older now.

animated the little mermaid (at home)
it probably would’ve made more sense for me to watch this version before the live-action one lol, but i couldn’t watch one without the other, regardless of the order! it’s still one of my favourite disney movies, even after all of this time. 💙 the original voice castings are just unmatched, tbh. i don’t think anyone will ever beat samuel e. wright as sebastian, pat carroll as ursula, and kenneth mars as king triton for me. may they all rest in peace. 💙

it probably would’ve made more sense for me to watch this version before the live-action one lol, but i couldn’t watch one without watching the other, regardless of the order!

monster house (at home)
my mom and i have made it a tradition to watch monster house together every october to kick off spooky season, and this year was no different! though, we ended up watching it in late september this year instead of october, haha.

the art style definitely looks stranger to me now than it did when i was a kid, but it’s still a good movie! i can’t believe i didn’t know that mitchel musso voiced dj. :’o

five nights at freddy’s (in theatres)
i’ve been eagerly waiting for this movie and losing hope that we’d ever get it for 8 years, so there was no way that i wasn’t seeing this in theatres! i’m not going to say much about it right now since it’s only been out for less than 2 weeks, but i enjoyed it! it was pretty lacklustre horror movie-wise; it wasn’t scary at all, and the few jumpscares there were were predictable. but as a fnaf fan, i really liked it!

i’ll forever be bummed that markiplier wasn’t in it (though i understand why he wasn’t) since he got me into fnaf and fnaf got me into him, but i’m happy that matpat was in it and that the living tombstone played during the credits! i loved all of the easter eggs and callbacks to the games. josh hutcherson and matthew lillard in the same movie was also… 😮‍💨

in the cinema: i know where i'm going - this is an old film and one of my dad's favourites, it's set in scotland and i loved it, so beautifully shot!

in general: i watched the original japanese ring! it was good and atmospheric! didn't find it scary but think i would have when i was younger

Back