• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's the last movie you've seen?

OH BARBIE YOURE SO FINE YOURE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND

After recently talking to fellow TBT member Mr.Fox about the classic Universal Monster movies from the 30s and 40s, I felt the urge to revisit director Jack Arnold's 1954 classic Creatute from the Black Lagoon last night. Considering the setting, as opposed to the rest of the Universal Monster movies, this one has always felt a bit more Summer appropriate. As we're at the end of August and about to head into September, with Summer soon to transition into Autumn and inching us that much closer to spooky season in October, this felt like a great time to watch it again. Good movie.

The last movie I watched was the Barbie movie a little over a week ago. Had been trying to plan to watch it in theatres for a while but our schedules never seemed to line up until recently haha. It was pretty good, I wasn't blown away by the plot but I really enjoyed the set designs in Barbie Land.

I watched Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. It was pretty good, easily one of the better D&D movies I've seen. I especially loved the old Dungeons & Dragons animated series characters showing up in the arena. But where was Uni? 🦄

So a friend of the family had their child over today, and that's my obligatory excuse for watching The Little Bear Movie from 2001. Little Bear is something I remember fondly from my childhood, but the movie came out after it would already have been awkward for me to admit to watching those types of shows, so I never ended up actually watching it. And I have to say, it was... uh... it was kind of weird?

The movie will play the show's signature whimsical classical music while Little Bear is in danger of being injured or eaten by wildlife in such a way that feels tonally dissonant rather than a deliberate design choice? I mean, the movie doesn't see these events as funny, per se. It's just very difficult to explain, but their attempts to up the stakes for the movie, while also maintaining a familiar tone (the tone for a series in which there is never any threat of serious injury, let alone death) simply does not work, and as a result, watching the film gives off an extremely uncanny feeling.

The pacing is also bad, feeling less like a movie and more like an episode of the show that's going on too long. As cute and sweet as the original show is, it's the type of show you can really only watch in increments of eleven minutes at a time, and even then it begins to drag. So a full length movie that attempts to maintain the same formula as the source material seems highly ill-advised.

I'm giving serious critique to a Nickelodeon movie made for four-year-olds, and I feel I must thoroughly scrutinize every life decision which led to this outcome.

I revisited director Tony Maylam's 1981 horror movie The Burning last night. I had intended to watch it back during Camp Bell Tree, but couldn't find the time to do so. It's a pretty paint-by-numbers Friday the 13th-esque camp slasher movie but hey, not bad. Some good practical effects on Cropsy and the theme song is cool. It's also kind of neat to see a young, full head of hair Jason Alexander (the guy who played George Costanza on Seinfeld) among the more prominent members of the cast.

I really like this type of thread because it introduces me to things I don't know yet💕
The last movie I saw in theater was a week ago, I went to see the new movie where Johnny Depp is back on the scene: "Jeanne du Barry"
The last movie I saw at home is "The Big country" of 1958 (there is a channel that broadcasts all old movies)

Oppenheimer, it was great. I didnt think I would like it, but I did

Sounds of Freedom, Bottoms or TMNT, will probably be next. Might make it a double movie day :3

I wanna see Elementals but none of the times work for my schedule :(

MalteseFalcon.jpg

L to R: Humphrey Bogart,Peter Lorre,Mary Astor and Sydney Greenstreet inspecting "the stuff that dreams are made of."

I watched The Maltese Falcon(1941).This is one of those rare movies in which the protagonist is just as scummy and conniving as the antagonists.Humphrey Bogart is at his peak here playing the sneaky private eye with questionable morals,Sam Spade and the rest of the cast is just as good.Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre would join Bogart the following year in Casablanca.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

Such a good movie filled with craziness, drama, and laughs! I am looking forward to see the other two movies!

In theatres, Super Mario.

At home, The Visit or half of Frankenweenie (trying to watch with my dog. She’s not a good participant.)

image.jpg

I saw Elemental(2023) today.I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie after all the negative press it received before it was even released but I really liked it.I wouldn't say it's in the upper echelon of Pixar movies(The Incredibles,Wall-E,etc.)but it's good to see Pixar coming up with an original story that's enjoyable and not another so-so sequel.

Elemental on Disney+

I went in with low expectations as it hadn't done well at the box office, however I ended up loving the film that touched on some great subjects about immigration, ancestral traditions and family expectations.

Over the weekend, I watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It's an older animated movie done alongside Batman: The Animated Series. I really enjoyed it.

Barbie-Movie-All-Leaks-and-Foota.jpg

I saw Barbie(2023).I had a feeling this was going to be good when I read that Greta Gerwig was writing and directing and I wasn't disappointed.It has a good story with a serious message but still managed to be funny.When I was a kid my sister(and later my niece) had a bunch of Barbies and Kens and I got to see first hand what can happen to these dolls.I gave my niece a really nice Ken(I believe he was called "Gift Giving Ken") doll for Christmas once.This Ken was decked out in a fancy black tux and came with a nice wrapped gift box(for Barbie,of course).I remember seeing poor Ken a couple of months later on the living room floor with his tux jacket still on but no pants or shoes and it looked like the dog had been nibbling on his feet.

The last movie I saw was Super Mario Bros movie when it became rentable on iTunes for a reasonable price. I am looking to do the same with the Barbie movie.

image_17ad972d.jpeg

I watched Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny(2023).This movie is like all of the other Indiana Jones movies rolled into one but it actually works.The last 45 minutes of the movie are especially well done and the end,at least for me,was pretty satisfying.

Back