Is fish a meat?

Is fish a meat?

• Yes.

Votes: 98 86.0%
  • No.

Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters
But meat is considered the flesh of an animal - fish are animals. What sets fish apart from other animals like cows or pigs? Are they somehow not an animal like they are?

Well in cooking terms we never talk about "meat fish" but we talk about the fish's flesh. Meat is flesh but not all flesh is meat I think :)

I consider fish to be meat. It's a different kind of meat than say, cow or pig, but meat all the same because it still comes from an animal. That's just me though. I know there are people that abstain from land animal meat and only eat fish.

It depends on how you look at it, I guess it just comes down to personal beliefs. If you look at it from the definition then fish can be seen as a meat, but if you look at it from a religious viewpoint it can be considered not a meat o_O

Pretty much just everyone's own opinion when it comes down to it!

Wrong.

A fish is obviously an instrument.

Case closed.

JK. But in seriousness, I've always considered fish to be meat. :p

To me, yes. But there are different definitions which exclude fish. Culinary speaking fish is very different. It's not like other meat because land animals and sea animals have different structures. So it totally depends on the person and how they define it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes it is a meat. That's why people who are vegetarian don't eat it.
Pescatarians are a type of vegetarian.

Wait - vegetarians do not eat no meat just because it's meat but because it's flesh and it comes from a living being! Same with fish!

Meat = flesh
Fish = flesh
This does not mean that fish = meat! Or flesh = meat!

Seriously? I don't even understand why so many people think of fish as meat, it's so obvious that it's not to me ?_o If fish was meat, then it would be obvious and we wouldn't even need to ask ourselves this question.

I went during primary school to a Christian school, and hence I find it weird to call meat fish's flesh. I don't know, it doesn't sound right. It's also how everybody says it in France. We all call it fish, not meat. I've never heard once someone called Fish "meat". Maybe in other countries, but not in France.
When I think "I want to eat some juicy meat", I think of pig, cow, chicken etc. but not Fish.
If I want some fish I just say fish.
I don't know. It's just how I was raised xD

- - - Post Merge - - -

Fish meets the dictionary definition of "meat", but it is not considered a meat in terms of butchery and the food industry. So, no, it's not a meat in that regard.

Yeah exactly my thinking :)

Last edited:
So... that means food industry > biology. I can't help myself but to smile.

It's one of those topics which no one ever wins, cause there is no right answer for that. Obviously it's a meat, but it's a very different kind of meat (it looks, it's taste), so it's safe/fine to put 'fish' into separate category. Same with tomato... it's a berry, so it's a fruit, but judging by taste it fits more into vegetable category. Tomato is a vegetable and fruit at the same time. So yeah, fish is a fish, but saying you're wrong, because you say it's meat, it's like ???. I suggest just to drop topic with your family. I belive both 'yes' and 'no' is correct answer. Since I had to choose one I voted for 'yes'.

It's not a matter or beliefs here but truth, I'm French and I don't know where you saw that snails are considered inland fish?? :p And just because you put salt on your tomatoes doesn't mean that they're vegetables. It's like saying eggs are meat, fish is not meat, you may still believe it, the same way you have the right to believe that 2 plus 2 doesn't equal 4, but you'll remain wrong.

I can never understand pescetarians who say it is so wrong to eat an animal but eat fish mhm ok

It's not a matter or beliefs here but truth, I'm French and I don't know where you saw that snails are considered inland fish?? :p And just because you put salt on your tomatoes doesn't mean that they're vegetables. It's like saying eggs are meat, fish is not meat, you may still believe it, the same way you have the right to believe that 2 plus 2 doesn't equal 4, but you'll remain wrong.

You can find that information on your own. "Just because tomato is a fruit doesn't mean you can buy tomato yogurt" . I never said eggs are meat - Don't get too excited.

Back