• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's the one thing you hate the most about the Gamecube version

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Red Balloon
Banana
Green Cotton Candy
Yule Log
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Bee Plush
Frost Easter Egg
Purple Candy
White Tulip
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
The Gamecube version was a lot of fun, but mostly for its time. There are still some things that make this game more superior than the others, but there are also some that make this game totally inferior.

What's the #1 thing you hate about the Gamecube version?

Personally, after playing the others for so long, I would have to say that all towns are similar in almost every way. For example, the houses. We may have our own houses in the GC version, but every house is part of the same acre in every town. In addition, both the upper floor room and main room are simply one in the same. Another example is the limited palette your character has. The only thing you can change is the character's shirt, which is why I was not a fan of collecting clothes since the Gamecube version. The patterns apply to every side, including the hats. Subsequent games had more of a diversity, which made the lack of features the Gamecube version's biggest liability.

The lack of storage space is the worst part for me. You can only put three items in a dresser (and big things won't fit at all). Even though there are other ways to store items (in letters at the post office or in the island house, etc.), those are very inconvenient.

The fact it doesn't have an HD remake with wifi capability. Also that we couldn't take our character into the DS, but that's understandable, considering the Gamecube's limitations with future hardware.

The lack of storage space is the worst part for me. You can only put three items in a dresser (and big things won't fit at all). Even though there are other ways to store items (in letters at the post office or in the island house, etc.), those are very inconvenient.

I totally forgot about that. After playing WW and NL for so long, I would not get used to that. Also, if you pick up a storage piece of furniture, everything inside would be separated and take up more pocket space.

Your storage space was very very small.
Unlike in future games, every storing furniture can hold up to 3 items and...that gets annoying after a while.

Grinding for money was a chore, especially in this game in which there's barley anything to sell for a good price. (That's why they gave you the awesome code in the first place)

The acre system is also stupid, because not only that you can't see that sky at all (I got used to it, because other Top-Down games had this as well), but you tend to get lost....a lot...THERE'S SO MANY TREES.

And no multilayer option other than plugging in another Memory card while going to the train station....even though LAN was an option back then...but I guess nobody used that thing except Kirby Air Ride so...that's a given.

Other than that, I prefer the music, some of the activities you can do in that game, how the villager conversations went, and so much more compared to the future games.

Last edited:
If I go back and look in there now, the only thing that bugged me was lack of storage. At the time I thought it was weird how you'd visit other peoples towns but in hindsight I remember thinking, that I had no idea how you could solve the problem. Wifi was basically nonexistant mainstream for another 2 years when PG came out, and by then we had Wild World and it didn't hinder the GC version imo. As someone else said, they coulda implemented the LAN as an alternative but did anyone even use that for Kirby Air Ride?

Has anyone forgot about the thing where animals can rudely repaint your roof? I hated that. That's griefing in my opinion.

Do you know what else bugs me? The restriction where you need a shopper from another town to buy from your town's store in order to unlock the department store. I'm glad we don't have that restriction anymore.

Has anyone forgot about the thing where animals can rudely repaint your roof? I hated that. That's griefing in my opinion.

Do you know what else bugs me? The restriction where you need a shopper from another town to buy from your town's store in order to unlock the department store. I'm glad we don't have that restriction anymore.
I forgotten about that.
I'm glad they rid away with that system.

I hate the fact you have to run to your gyroid to save the game.

oH MY gOD storage space was ****ing awful. I had to bury my clothes and **** next to my house, long time ago I started the game up and jesus christ, it was hideous, I had dug holes and stuffed them full of clothes for miles.... I didn't like the hats and stuff, I always wished they were optional.

The villagers. I never liked the villagers in the Gamecube, especially the Snooties and Crankies. They were constantly rude and insulting and deprecating, and oftentimes whenever I started a game I would eventually reach a point where I got so sick of it I stopped talking to them altogether. So glad they've expanded and mellowed the dialogue for New Leaf; I personally feel like the dialogue in New Leaf is richer and more dynamic and interesting than any AC game before, and I've played every title as they were released since the very first.

As for everything else, even storage, it never bothered me, because I only actively played the Gamecube before the other titles had been released; and even when I started GC games out of nostalgia after Wild World and City Folk had been released, I knew what to expect. Also, I never kept anything in the Gamecube game, and my game never glitched so running to the gyroid to save wasn't an issue for me. But I tend to accept things for the way they are.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that animals moving out is unpredictable. They don't tell you when they are moving out, and once they move out, it's too late. Worse yet, they will never come back, not even a different animal of the same name.

Back