• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Anybody here into woodburning? ;-;

Eldin

hmm
Cherry 🍒
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4949-4649-1278
Pikachu Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
I guess it's more of a craft than original art (since I mostly do video game characters and whatnot) so idk if this belongs here, but if not please let me know!

I'm curious if anybody else here likes woodburning/pyrography (I just makes things for myself/for gifts as a hobby, and am not great at drawing so I find crafts more fun)~

Here are a few things I've done;

tumblr_mvqz5ePeXc1so5nszo2_500.jpg

tumblr_mvqz5ePeXc1so5nszo1_500.jpg

I love making coaster sets, I gave away a lot of other ones but unfortunately don't have pics of all of them

tumblr_mmue1pTpfX1so5nszo1_500.jpg

this was for my friends little brothers room - he loooves mario

tumblr_nc5ydkCHul1so5nszo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nc5ydkCHul1so5nszo2_500.jpg

tumblr_nc5ydkCHul1so5nszo4_500.jpg

these last three I haven't gotten around to sealing yet /slack
tumblr_mvt0hpWVZ91so5nszo1_500.jpg

I loved doing this one (and it was my own little design aha) - it was for a coworker at the bakery I used to work at (we made pretzels at like 3am) to motivate him out of bed in the morning

tumblr_nc5ydkCHul1so5nszo3_500.jpg

tumblr_mvr08aweFR1so5nszo2_500.jpg

tumblr_mvr08aweFR1so5nszo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mvr08aweFR1so5nszo3_500.jpg

I actually made quite a few sets of these with different teams for people

tumblr_inline_n3bbh6imKH1rk2ips.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4nqqbqg1t1rk2ips.jpg

tumblr_inline_n3bbghu4551rk2ips.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4nqhfbEfk1rk2ips.jpg

tumblr_inline_n3bbgv3ebc1rk2ips.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4nqinG5Fg1rk2ips.jpg

these were a gift for my friend for her baby shower to put in the nursery (her bf and her are really into fishing and we used to all go ice fishing all the time, in case you're wondering why I chose that one, aha)

Anyways, has anybody else dabbled it this sort of thing? I find it extremely fun, plus everything you make smells really good (like charred wood). Also you can use anything for material - driftwood, cross-sections of stumps (I have a ton drying out right now, can't wait to use them), whatever wood you can find!

I'd love to see other people's creations if so! Or if you any other sort of crafts I'd love to hear about it, since I mostly see digital/traditional art on this forum. c:

I've never done it myself, but those look really awesome. It kind of makes me want to try it myself now. ^^;;

I did a woodburn of the Triforce eagle. I messed up on the wings, but it turned out okay.

I've never done it myself, but those look really awesome. It kind of makes me want to try it myself now. ^^;;

You totally should, it's really easy to get started. You can get a cheap woodburning tool from most art supply stores (sometimes even hardware stores, mine's actually made by Mastercraft, aha). And then you just need some wood and you're off! c;

Although I would advise drawing whatever you want on paper first - or if you just have a picture you'd like woodburned - and then tracing it onto wood with graphite paper (or carbon paper but I find it too messy).

It's actually quite easy once you practice a bit. c:

@Ehingen Guy; That sounds awesome! obviously big zelda fan here, aha

@Sparkanine; Thank you! c:

Oh my god these are AMAZING! i love these! My friend is into this kind of stuff, and while i'm pretty bad at crafting in general, i still love looking at stuff like this. Keep up the good work! (=?∀`)/

You totally should, it's really easy to get started. You can get a cheap woodburning tool from most art supply stores (sometimes even hardware stores, mine's actually made by Mastercraft, aha). And then you just need some wood and you're off! c;

Although I would advise drawing whatever you want on paper first - or if you just have a picture you'd like woodburned - and then tracing it onto wood with graphite paper (or carbon paper but I find it too messy).

It's actually quite easy once you practice a bit. c:

Ah, you know what, I might just have to try it for myself. I'm really liking those Space Invader ones.
aaagh they're all so cute. When did you start woodburning, anyways? They look really glossy and smooth. ; v ;

Oh god good question. Probably a year or two ago? The coasters are all sealed, I use a gloss varnish so that's why they're so shiny, aha. Keeps them in decent shape too, a guy who I gave one of my Maple Leafs sets to uses his all the time and he just wipes the coffee and stuff right off and they stay nice because of the coating. Probably not necessary for wall hangings and such but I think it makes them look nicer so I usually do those too anyways. c:

@Mewmewmewm; Aha, thanks!

@SmokeyB; Nope! I got my mom into it though and she's done a few craft shows. Although she does more realism like animals and such whereas I do.. well just random, aha.

Mostly I just hang them around (I actually have a bunch just laying around unfortunately but I need like an art room or something idk), or give them as gifts. I make bookmarks as well, so those at least get used. c:

That is too awesome. Your technique is beyond compare OuO Have you ever thought of selling these on Etsy or something? Pretty sure they would go for a hefty price.

That's ****in' sweet. I'd like to try to get into this, but the only time I've woodburned so far, I burned my thumb. Really hurt. Anyways, how did you do the colors? Paint? Or something else?

I concur with the previous posters who mentioned Etsy. You could definitely make some extra cash if you decided to open a shop.

In other words, these are ridiculously awesome. Great work indeed. :)

Aw, thanks guys! :blush: Etsy could be a fun idea (I have bought from there before, love that site) but I don't know how complicated it would be to set up (payment method & shipping for example). But maybe in the future I will look into it! c:

If there was somewhere in my area (craft shows and such) that would be easier, but unfortunately I can't see much of a market for this type of thing. Probably better suited for online.

@Jawile; Yeah the tools leave a nasty burn, I've gotten a few bad ones on my fingers when I zone out, aha. And yep, just acrylic paint. c:

These are really good! I'd love to try wood burning but I tend to collect hobbies and I don't know if I need another right now. :blush:

I don't know what I expected when I clicked this thread, but I'm honestly very impressed. I myself enjoy the art, though I don't do it myself. I love the video game ones! They are very well done. You would make quite a lot of people happy if you were to sell these, or do commissions of them. Keep up the good work!

Thanks guys! Yes, I particularly like doing video game ones - the art style from LoZ; Wind Waker I especially like so I am thinking of doing a matching one to that with Tetra's pirate crew.

@Freckles; I do the same thing, I tend to pick things up and drop them, aha. I go through phases - I'll do a ton of pieces and then I won't do any for like a month - then start going crazy and doing a bunch again. Also depends on if I have a lot of excess wood laying around, aha.

Haha, yep, that sounds about right! I have no lack of motivation (usually) but my interests in crafting go in cycles. :blush: There's a thread in Brewster's Cafe for crafting right now too, you should share these over there too!

Back