• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Soccer players of TBT

Soccer has several different components, some more important than others, so here are a few helpful tips if you want to prioritize the most impactful skills.

1. Practice running - With many players and one ball, you will spend more of the game running than anything else, so this is the number one thing you can do to improve. Running for long distances, changing pace, and also changing direction are really important.

2. Practice passing, not shooting - There is much more passing than shooting, and generally most goals are scored on shots that could have been a "pass towards the goal". Pass with another person back and forth (or use a wall), use both feet, start at shorter distances and then move to longer ones. In between passes, jog in place.

3. Ball control - The more your feet touch a soccer ball, the better you get at controlling where it goes. There are specific exercises you can do, but the most important thing is familiarity so repetitions are more important.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful, and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Last edited:
I played for ten years, until I got knee problems and had to stop. :(

I still love it though and I started teaching my nephew the "triple scissor move" when he was 2. :D
He still plays his own way though, stopping the ball WITH HIS HANDS. Like seriousy, if you want to learn football, play it a lot and learn to controll every ball with your body/feet, but not your hands.... Seriously.

In the end, nothing in football is more important then good technique, it will give you more time to do something with the ball. So train that. Passing exercises, keeping the ball up in the air, etc, those kind of things. Try focusing on one touch control with your weak foot, making it instantly ready to pass or shoot.

But most of all, just enjoy it. One thing I want to mention is the simple tip while defineding to stand a bit diagnoally. When your in the center, you can drive players away from the goal that way, even when they get by you, they can`t do that much damage. Its a simple way of protecting the box.

I used to play when I was younger! I did a bunch of different after school activities then, and soccer was always my favorite. I would say since you're just playing pick-up is to have fun. To me that's the most important part!

I do! I haven't played recently though. I don't have a good setup, so it can take some of the fun away :p

Last edited:
Back