• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How I feel about TBT right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

West8991

Emperor of Arcadia
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Orange (Fruit)
Alright let me be clear, I don't by any means hate TBT. I have just noticed a few things that are really bothering me

As some of you may know, I am a off and on continuously active member of TBT. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Now before I get tons of hate I'll have you know that these are my honest thoughts on the community as of right now. Keep in mind that this does not apply to the entire community, just a small group of people. Anyways, I have been inactive for the couple of weeks due to family issues. I recently made the decision to come back to TBT after playing AC:NL again. It seems as though every time I return from an absence something is different about TBT, if its the layout or the functionality I dont know. If there is something I have noticed it's the small, but noticeable group of people that remind me of why I left Reddit and ACC. The ones that shout facts in your face until you just give up, the ones that are rudely blunt and are praised for it, and the simple trolls. Again I am not saying it is everyone, in fact the majority of us are still incredibly friendly. TBT is known for being one of the friendliest places on the Internet, if not the most friendly place on the internet. I have had many posts here relating to my constant battle with Chronic Depression, and my family issues. I always receive a lot of support in my anti social life from you guys here. If anything I would like to truly thank TBT for its support of everyone no matter who they are. The title did not say just the negatives, and I still have quite a bit of positives to say about this site. In fact the positives out weigh the negatives by about 80/20. The amazing system of trading which actually works unlike Reddit. The over all quick responding community. The sharing of beautiful patterns, and many many more.

Enough with this, I have sleep to do. If you took the time to read this, then please do feel free to leave criticism. At least promise me that you'll read the entire thing before hating on me. Thanks -West

I'm not going to lie, I don't get what you're trying to say here. You put a pretty big wall of text that doesn't really flow well. Are you saying we have a lot of rude members or that we're like ACC? I'm just not getting the point I think.

I'm not going to lie, I don't get what you're trying to say here. You put a pretty big wall of text that doesn't really flow well. Are you saying we have a lot of rude members or that we're like ACC? I'm just not getting the point I think.

I am not saying at all that TBT is like ACC, goodness no were not that bad. I never said we have "a lot" of rude members I tried to make it clear that it was only a small few. I spent half of the "wall of text" talking about how good the community is.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sounds like you won't like most places on the internet then.

You're right! I don't like most places on the internet, hence why I can't stand the Youtube comments. I also quit Reddit due to how immature and absurd people are. TBT is honestly the best place on the internet I have ever found.

Unfortunately as a community grows it becomes open to not so positive people. I hope you can continue to get enjoyment out of the forums and certain users here; try not to stress or pay any mind to those who don't deserve your attention! Don't know any specific users or comments you're referencing to, as I hardly venture out of Re-Tail, but I would try to shift your focus on things that don't bring you grievance :) I think situations like this can't be prevented or changed (unless there's some kind of ignore system here? Haven't looked into it).

I am not saying at all that TBT is like ACC, goodness no were not that bad. I never said we have "a lot" of rude members I tried to make it clear that it was only a small few. I spent half of the "wall of text" talking about how good the community is.
The problem is your wall of text didn't flow. It was just a rant with no real connection. The sentences don't flow into each other like connecting ideas. They seem like single, abrupt thoughts. It's hard to understand.

I don't really think TBT is rude. I think people mistake blunt honesty for an attack. I also think some there's a big age gap in membership. We have young members and members over 18, and those over 18 are older and see the problems of the young members as trivial. Because when you get older and gain experience your priorities change. That doesn't make the younger members problems any less real, it just means the older members are at a different point in their life where they passed those problems and know what it's like later. It's hard to get those two ideas to connect since older members won't go back to a young mindset, and younger members can't make themselves see things from the future looking back.

Goodness, have I made another mistake today. I guess today is just a bad day, a horrible horrible day.

(just wanted to throw in that there is nothing wrong with trading on reddit
k thx)

Don't worry about it. The message you're communicating is pretty clear IMO. Don't see why it's necessary to pick apart the structure of your paragraph; guess some people don't like stringing another person's stream of thoughts together.

Honestly it just sounds like you don't know how to deal with society so you complain about it and leave

Don't worry about it. The message you're communicating is pretty clear IMO. Don't see why it's necessary to pick apart the structure of your paragraph; guess some people don't like stringing another person's stream of thoughts together.

it might be clear to you, but not everyone understood what West was trying to say as well as you did, and it's 100% okay to ask questions when you aren't sure what someone's trying to say
she was pointing out why she didn't understand it, not picking apart the structure of it
just saying lol

Last edited:

Sorry I think very very fast and it likes to translate to my typing. It's something wrong with my head, like the opposite of mental retardation. I think to fast, and that causes problems. Such as my experience with girls, and people in general. I think so fast and about every possible outcome it hurts sometimes. Its one of the things I blame for the cause of my Chronic Depression.

Sorry I think very very fast and it likes to translate to my typing. It's something wrong with my head, like the opposite of mental retardation. I think to fast, and that causes problems. Such as my experience with girls, and people in general. I think so fast and about every possible outcome it hurts sometimes. Its one of the things I blame for the cause of my Chronic Depression.
That sounds a lot more like anxiety than depression. Well, that and schizophrenia, but I'm leaning more towards anxiety. Like, a lot more towards.

Last edited:
i think most people as a rule are at least a little more inflammatory than they probably would be irl, but i mean it's not all bad. on the plus side you at least get people speaking more honestly than they might face-to-face.

i used to think a lot like you but really you just haveta not take the internet so seriously, people say **** to each other all the time and a lot of the time mild disagreement becomes blind rage. :p

That sounds a lot more like anxiety than depression.

Well I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression last year, with the cause likely being Anxiety if you ask me. I only recently started seeing someone about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i think most people as a rule are at least a little more inflammatory than they probably would be irl, but i mean it's not all bad. on the plus side you at least get people speaking more honestly than they might face-to-face.

i used to think a lot like you but really you just haveta not take the internet so seriously, people say **** to each other all the time and a lot of the time mild disagreement becomes blind rage. :p

To be fair I am a rather serious person, which is why I wont go anywhere on Youtube. I can't be immature and loose, as I am way to "up tight" as they call it. I mean IRL I am actually less serious to the people I open up to, but it's just those few.

Well I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression last year, with the cause likely being Anxiety if you ask me. I only recently started seeing someone about it.
Yeah, fast and disorganized thoughts is more anxiety. And it's not uncommon for anxiety and depression to come together.

But, like I edited, it's also a sign of schizophrenia. Different kind of disorganized thinking there.

Yeah, fast and disorganized thoughts is more anxiety. And it's not uncommon for anxiety and depression to come together.

But, like I edited, it's also a sign of schizophrenia. Different kind of disorganized thinking there.

Alright, my brain is calming down now. I think it is time I go to bed, I'll continue and reply to things when I wake up.

Yeah that does sound like you're experiencing anxiety. It's good to try to rationalize what you're feeling upset about - is it something you can't control? Like a rude comment from a stranger? In that case, unless the comment expresses intent to harm you or bring harm to your psyche, chances are the person is either a turd or perhaps you're reading into their comment wrong.
What outcomes are you thinking of, exactly? How others will perceive what you say?

I wouldn't start throwing out diagnoses/mental disorders based on what they're saying.

Anyway, honestly, you need to find a way to either ignore or deal with the "small" group of people. If they're a small group, then that should be easy to do. You can't run away from mean people in real life or the internet. Sure, you can try, but that's not the best decision in the end. Running away from problems solves nothing, whether you deal with depression or not. It shouldn't be an excuse. Yeah, it can definitely be a hindrance, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back