• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Crafters unite!

kbelle4

Kandise // Foxglove
Bells
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
I was thinking it would be awesome for people to have a place to talk about crafting, as that is a MAJOR part of my, and many other peoples lives ^.^

So, what kind of crafts do you do? Any tips for people who are just starting your craft? What is your favorite thing you've ever made? What kinds of crafts do you specialize in? What does your craft mean to you?

Crafts to me, are hobbies like scrapbooking, knitting, woodworking, or anything else really that's a creative endeavour outside of traditional arts ^.^ I'd also include my other hobby, DIYing.

--

I do a lot of different crafts because I have the attention span of a peanut. The ones that have stuck with me the longest are definitely knitting and DIYing random things (I've made jewlery holders, a fancy bulletin board that's fabric backed with a hand made frame, dream catchers...). They both stem from my anxiety disorder, and my therapists idea that doing things with my hands when anxiety is overwhelming would be helpful. It has helped me so much, and gives me a sense of achievement along with allowing me to focus my nervous energy and thoughts on something relaxing and productive.

I hope this doesn't belong in the museum xD y'all can post pics but this is more for talking with eachother than sharing our finished work

I did knit for a short period of time. I kinda want to get back into it.

I'm not a real big crafter but I love crochet. I started a few months ago, and making toys is awesome. I rarely finish a project because I can't sew anything together evenly but I'm really liking how my Charizard is coming out so far. Pokemon and sea life are my favorite things to make. I just like having something to do with my hands, and it's fun to gift someone their favorite pokemon or animal or whatever. Also collecting yarn is way too fun. Gotta have all the colors! :)

aww it's good to see there are other knitters/crocheters xD

For the longest time I only bought michaels yarn and was so upset with how rough my scarfs were. Then I went to a yarn store, holy paradise! The colors are so nice, the yarn is so soft, it knits so nice.
I have a problem.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I did knit for a short period of time. I kinda want to get back into it.

And you should get back into it ^.^ have you ever been to ravelry? It's great for inspiration for knitting, my library is full of more projects than I can do xD

I love me some crafting! I like playing around with watercolors, and jewelry making but I also really enjoy paper crafting (/xacto cut paper art?), and recently making tiny clay figures (click here if you want to see my first batch).

Really though I enjoy almost anything creative and love trying new hobbies!

If there turn out to be a lot of crafters here, we should do an art swap! I organized one on another board I was on and it was a lot of fun!

I decoden phone cases and such. (Here's a link to my shop's photo album on FB. It's a bit outdated since I haven't been commissioned in ages, but I would love to get back into bedazzling things for people....) I've gotten really good at it and I've made myself a bunch of cases. I basically glue rhinestones onto anything that's made of hard plastic. I also do shadowboxes from time to time and I've been wanting to get into clay, but I'm just so clumsy with my hands. I can lay down rhinestones individually for hours on end, but my hands can't mold clay properly to save my life.

I think an art swap would be awesome! :D I've done two on tumblr with fellow decoden-ers and it's so fun/exciting to be shipping off something you put a lot of effort in for a certain person, in exchange for something that someone else made just for you. I'd totally be game. :)

Last edited:
I decoden phone cases and such. (Here's a link to my shop's photo album on FB. It's a bit outdated since I haven't been commissioned in ages, but I would love to get back into bedazzling things for people....) I've gotten really good at it and I've made myself a bunch of cases. I basically glue rhinestones onto anything that's made of hard plastic. I also do shadowboxes from time to time and I've been wanting to get into clay, but I'm just so clumsy with my hands. I can lay down rhinestones individually for hours on end, but my hands can't mold clay properly to save my life.

I think an art swap would be awesome! :D I've done two on tumblr with fellow decoden-ers and it's so fun/exciting to be shipping off something you put a lot of effort in for a certain person, in exchange for something that someone else made just for you. I'd totally be game. :)

Your phone cases are adorable!! I've hand painted a bunch of few cases when my other half worked at best buy and got a killer discount on plain phone cases. I love the one with a scoop of ice cream on it! I'm planning on getting a new phone soon and I may have to order one from you if you do any iPhone 6plus cases!

@ Freckles: Your clay figures are so adorable, the Marshal has the perfect enormous tail ^.^ What kind of jewellery do you make? I've always been interested in it

I think art swapping would be awesome! I made this thread to try and find other crafters because there's a lot of really talented artists here, but I didn't know where to find other people whose creative skills were outside of drawing

--

@littlemissmarzipanmermaid: Your cases are so adorable :3 I especially love the music themed one! I've seen some decoden cases before, and I am always super fascinated by decoden nail art from Korea. I know what you mean about sculpting. I can knit/DIY for days because it's very concrete steps, but when it comes to more freeform arts I'm less confident and really harsh on myself.

I like making earrings and other trinkets from shrinky dinks. I don't normally wear earrings, but I like making them and having one of my friends model them. She gets a lot of compliments on them. So far I've made some based off kingdom hearts, danny phantom, and attack on titan.

I like making earrings and other trinkets from shrinky dinks. I don't normally wear earrings, but I like making them and having one of my friends model them. She gets a lot of compliments on them. So far I've made some based off kingdom hearts, danny phantom, and attack on titan.
I've seen some really adorable shrinky dink charm bracelets :D, it's an under appreciated jewellery medium because it's super flexible to what you want

@ Freckles: Your clay figures are so adorable, the Marshal has the perfect enormous tail ^.^ What kind of jewellery do you make? I've always been interested in it

I think art swapping would be awesome! I made this thread to try and find other crafters because there's a lot of really talented artists here, but I didn't know where to find other people whose creative skills were outside of drawing

Haha, it is literally marshmallow sized! It's kind of ridiculous but I love it :blush:

I have been obsessed with making wire jewelry lately, after making some copper midi rings for my sister's birthday. I like making feather earrings too with feathers that my parrots molt out. That's kind of seasonal though since I only have two birds and I use naturally lost feathers from them.

Haha, it is literally marshmallow sized! It's kind of ridiculous but I love it :blush:

I have been obsessed with making wire jewelry lately, after making some copper midi rings for my sister's birthday. I like making feather earrings too with feathers that my parrots molt out. That's kind of seasonal though since I only have two birds and I use naturally lost feathers from them.
I've always wanted to wear midi rings because they're so freakin adorable but I have no knuckles. It was a huge issue with getting my engagement ring sized because I don't have a knuckle to catch the ring on so they took exact measurements so it wouldn't cut off circulation but it would stay, it's not actually a ring size. Because of that midi rings always either slip off or cut off circulation (PS I do techinically HAVE knuckles, but they're the same width as the rest of my finger.)

The ones I've made so far are adjustable. But I don't have delicate, nice sized knuckle hands so I have no problems keeping them on. ;)

The ones I've made so far are adjustable. But I don't have delicate, nice sized knuckle hands so I have no problems keeping them on. ;)
I'd love to see some pictures ^.^ I bet they're gorgeous and no you have normal non freakish hands.

I really like the little dainty ones that are simple and minimalist. I'll take a pic tomorrow when it's light out. I have this photo on my flickr where you can sort of see one that's an infinity symbol. I'll edit this post tomorrow with a less gratuitous shot of my face to one of my jewelry :blush:

When I was a freshman in high school I was really into collecting Blythe and Pullip dolls and I would sew clothes for them and knit little hats. I got really into it at some point, and then just stopped (I distinctly remember it was because I picked up a new hobby called World of Warcraft -_-) I remember it was really relaxing and I loved to go through different websites and pick up clothing patterns to sew. Maybe I'll get back into it one day or perhaps try human-sized clothes lol.

I hand dye/tie dye all varieties of clothing and have sold them at various local craft/street fairs (examples here). I've also been known to make Perler Bead sprites on occasion, which oddly enough is great for stress relief. Examples of my Perler sprites can be seen here.

Another rather recent crafting endeavor of mine: I've been making and distilling my own perfumes and essential oils. I've made scents for a few friends and family members thus far and everyone's been pretty pleased... or so they claim. ;)

If anyone's interested in learning more about any of the aforementioned crafts, feel free to send me a PM and I'd be glad to offer any assistance or guidance. It's awesome to see so many fellow crafters here on TBT. :)

Last edited:
I've made an iPad case, and some Swan Lake Sock Monkeys

tumblr_lsnhhj99YW1r3b9ino1_1280.jpg

Gotta find the pic of iPad case lol

I made the sock monkeys for a french presentation~

Last edited:
Back