Birthdays getting less exciting as you age?

Mayorofarcadia

My name is Emma c:
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
New Horizons Token
Pumpkin Cupcake
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Last year, I had a big 18th with all my school friends and family. It was wonderful.

This year, I spent the days leading upto it with my mums family as my grandmother died.
She died on the 26th. My birthday is 27th. The 28th was the funeral. It felt like my birthday was overshadowed with grief and just "aw you okay?" Etc.

It's getting to the point where next year, it feels like it will be just another day.
I love my birthday. It was a day where nothing else mattered. I could be loved, celebrated etc.

What do you guys think?
Do you still find your birthday exciting?

My birthday typically means nothing to me.

It's just another day in my life.

Ever since my Grandad died, the family's become a little disjointed, and so my birthday just doesn't feel the same. My friends always try and make it a big deal, which makes me smile, but it's never what it used to be anymore.

This year should be different though, I'm turning 20, and my fianc? from America, and two very good friends are coming down to see me, so it should be epic :D

But I definitely agree, the novelty of a birthday does tend to wear off as you age.

Christmas is the one exception though.. No matter how many years passes, Christmas is the best day of the year, I can finally spend a day with my whole family, and nothing else matters.

its exciting i guess but i dont do anything for it, mostly cause i dont have friends
i went out for my 21st with my aunt. im 22, i dont care all too much i guess. just the clock ticking more and more.

i got bored of my birthday when i was about 9
i think of it as one year closer to dying

Not really. But my birthday is 2 days before christmas so I've just grown accustomed to sharing it :p
It's also my anniversary with my boyfriend on the exact same day, so there's that (it'll be 5 years this year!)
But I think the older you get, the less you really care about them. I'll be 25 this year, there's no more milestones really until you hit 50, so that could be why they don't feel that special anymore. It's really just another day.

Sorry about your grandma. :(

I know how that feels, though. A week before my 15th birthday, my great-grandfather died, and the week leading up to my birthday was funeral plans, crying, family drama, etc.

I've become progressively less excited about my birthdays as they've gone on, and even though this year is my 18th, I'm not too hyped about it. I dunno. It's just become less important to me.

I use it as an excuse to drink way more than usual and take the day off if I can.

Birthdays are what you make of 'em, kiddo. My boyfriend just turned 25 and we had a great time just- being with one or two of our friends and doing a bit of shopping. Like, it may not be the same thing you were used to when you were a kid- but heck, planning your own stuff is pretty fun, too.

Dude, you only get one day to be like "This is the day that my greatness graced the Earth." and do you. **** happens that can make it worse, but- that's just it. **** happens.

TL;DR : I don't love my birthday as much as I love helping other people celebrate theirs.

Sorry about your grandma! :( I got bored of my birthday and stopped celebrating when I was 6. :c As CR33P said, it's just one more day closer to dying. It's not exciting anymore. I turned one more year older a couple days ago, it's really not anything important to me anymore. :/

I've never really enjoyed birthdays. I'm not sure why. I don't like being the center of attention in general so perhaps that's the reason. anyway, I'm turning 21 this year so maybe I'll do something because I'll finally be able to legally drink.

I remember I always wanted toys and stuff, but now all I want are new clothes and a passport to get far, far away from my parents.

Last edited:
No, once I turned 13 I stopped caring. I just hate unwanted attention, and my birthday gives exactly that, so nty

Not really because my birthday is the only day where the families attention is on me and when they're all actually nice to me, so I can't say it's just another day. My 15th birthday sucked a lot though. Nobody really cared and nobody celebrated it.

I get cake, but in terms of presents, the last one I got was a 3DS XL for my 15th birthday, but then I broke it in a week.
Didn't get another one until March of this year.

My parents never remember my birthday. Once I had to tell her that it was my birthday so she gave me money and told me to buy my own cake lol. They generally aren't that exciting to me. I usually just get a few good friends and take them out to dinner, get wasted after.

eh, after turning 14 I stopped having real birthday partys and now I just get money and thats it. I really don't have friends to celebrate it with. (Animal crossing birthdays make me happy anyways)

Awww, I know how you feel.

My birthday is the 23rd of September. I will be 24 this year. These past few years its just another day as any other. Nothing special.

My boyfriend's birthday is the 23rd of August. He turned the big 25 last week. We were struggling financially so much we could hardly celebrate. We were so focused on getting rent paid (late, albeit) and credit cards, and internet and cell phone payments. When we came to university, we moved away from home - both of us - and we have been out of sight out of mind from our families. When he was living with his folks, he used to get hundreds of dollars (sometimes up to $1000) each year for his birthday when he had no financial obligations at all. Now that we have commitments and as the upcoming school year starts, textbooks to buy (which are like $200 a piece) he got like $250 total from his family combined. Some didn't even send cards. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't mean to sound like we are ungrateful, but is family is well-off (and so is mine), but my Dad didn't give him anything and we could really use the money for school and living expenses. We both work and are self-sustaining. Its not like we come crawling to them for money. EVER. But being remembered would be nice. Especially when they ask him what he wants for his birthday and he says "money would be nice, for books for school". And they send enough to pay for one or two maybe at best when they could easily afford to send more.

But yes, birthdays get seemingly more insignificant as you age. Unfortunately. They get less exciting. There is less to look forward to about them.

25 (much like 18) is supposed to be a milestone birthday. Something to be memorable. It was memorable alright. In that it was awful. We spent it going to get a Pay Day Loan Advance so we could pay rent. Thats how we spent his 25th birthday. Adult stuff. Scraping by.

Back