• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

NEW Nintendo 3DS (& XL)

Xenoblades is confirmed as an exclusive on the New 3ds, and in the direct they said they also have other exclusives in the works as well.

They haven't announces what the exclusives will be though.

Honestly this is a huge disappointment. I'm not really willing to fork out cash for some new/improved crappy features and some awful redesigned button placements. They're going to have to push out some really good games to get my attention.

This is practically a whole new system. I bet they'll maybe make a new Mario Kart or Animal Crossing exclusively so that we'd be tempted to upgrade.

This is practically a whole new system. I bet they'll maybe make a new Mario Kart or Animal Crossing exclusively so that we'd be tempted to upgrade.

Except not really. If they were next gen systems, they would probably do that (new console generation and such) but they aren't so I don't see that happening.

Swappable covers ♥_♥

I'm getting this as an XL, no doubt about it as I wanted an xl anyway.

Except not really. If they were next gen systems, they would probably do that (new console generation and such) but they aren't so I don't see that happening.

It's more powerful. I never thought that they'd ever make more Mario Karts or Animal Crossing's for one system (except for Japan) but I see it more likely with the New 3DS

Unless something drastic happens to my 3DS, or a new main series Pokemon game is exclusive to it, I don't think I'm going to bother with this. I don't think I would be able to get it anyway though, my parents would never let me or them spend so much money on something with only a few upgrades. It is pretty cool though, it would be nice to have two 3DS's for Animal Crossing and Pokemon purposes.

So in the Japanese Nintendo Direct, Iwata just discussed an upcoming model of the 3DS.

The new features are:
- Better 3D viewing, so that it's even possible to view 3D images when looking at the screen from the side;
- While the New Nintendo 3DS XL's screens stay the same size as the current XL's, the screens of the New Nintendo 3DS will be 1.2 times bigger than the current version;
- C-stick above the face buttons;
- ZL and ZR buttons;
- Start and Select buttons moved to below the face buttons;
- Volume control on the top screen (opposite from 3D slider);
- Game cards, stylus and power button placed on the bottom of the system (where now it has just the headphone jack);
- Full Amiibo support, without the need of a peripheral;
- New CPU for better system speed (especially regarding the eShop and Miiverse);
- Better battery life;
- In addition to the normal SD card slot, there's now also a Micro SD card slot;
- Can move files between 3DS and PC via Wi-Fi;
- Swappable covers (seemingly exclusive to New 3DS, not New 3DS XL);
- Home menu themes. This doesn't appear to be an exclusive feature, but the swappable covers can be used to match up with the theme.

The systems launch in Japan on October 11th. Obviously, no release date for NA/EU announced yet.

Alongside this, Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS was announced, and it will ONLY work on the New Nintendo 3DS (XL) as it uses the increased CPU power.

I'll add more info and pictures to this post later, but hot damn. Way to sell me on a new product, Nintendo.

f6a2af2e5c.jpg

d647768ea9.jpg

be06dce1ef.jpg

82f19b12c5.jpg

423ede8267.jpg

966b6711c3.jpg

af813491bb.jpg

24623a1fca.jpg

226a452562.jpg

4e327ca0a0.jpg

b55cd87f8a.jpg

84da2ee3e0.jpg

96dae24d1f.jpg

6397675794.jpg

c5db9a154d.jpg

70077e43db.jpg

a5a15d97c8.jpg

b336ecd542.jpg

affa80b805.jpg

ef91961a69.jpg

b23845604f.jpg

GET HYPE

why would they move the cirecle pad, I hate the 2ds because it has the circle pad on the top screen, is that what they are doing on this new 3ds? it would be such a pain to play with the circle button the top screen, overall I do not like this new design, will the current 3ds become unavailable to buy?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Xenoblades is confirmed as an exclusive on the New 3ds, and in the direct they said they also have other exclusives in the works as well.

They haven't announces what the exclusives will be though.
aww really
Then basically the original 3ds is going to become outdated and old. how do the make then exclusive though? different shaped game cards again?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Am I the only person here who isn't pumped up by this at all? I mean, the new features are nice--especially for upcoming games like smash bros. But I have a Fire Emblem 3DS and I held out on getting a 3DS for months so that I could get it. I am not pleased with the idea that I'll have to use another 3DS just to play new games. :(

Exactly! i Completely agree with you! this new 3ds is basically going to be a whole new console and in a few years they will shut down all wifi and stuff for regular original 3ds. and they wont make any new regular 3ds games probably.

why would they move the cirecle pad, I hate the 2ds because it has the circle pad on the top screen, is that what they are doing on this new 3ds? it would be such a pain to play with the circle button the top screen, overall I do not like this new design, will the current 3ds become unavailable to buy?
You could've simply looked at the images to answer that question. The only thing that's been moved to the top screen is the volume controls, for the rest it all stays on the bottom part.

Whether or not the current 3DS will become unavailable after the New 3DS's release, my guess would be yes. The original 3DS is pretty much unavailable at this point, with XLs having taken over the market of the 3DS in the same way that the DS Lite replaced the original DS. The DSi never fully replaced the Lite, but that was due to its incompatibility with GBA titles. This system is compatible with all DS and 3DS titles, so there's no real reason for Nintendo to keep producing older models.

aww really
Then basically the original 3ds is going to become outdated and old. how do the make then exclusive though? different shaped game cards again?
Either that or software blocking. They haven't yet shown how games will be made exclusive to the New 3DS.

Exactly! i Completely agree with you! this new 3ds is basically going to be a whole new console and in a few years they will shut down all wifi and stuff for regular original 3ds. and they wont make any new regular 3ds games probably.
It all runs on the same firmware, so it all uses the same servers as well. Don't forget that the DS/Wii servers were made before the Nintendo Network was created. Now that that's in place, likely all future Nintendo systems will be using those servers to connect.

And I really don't see why people keep saying it's an entirely new system. It's a minor hardware upgrade, it's not enough to say it's an entirely new handheld generation.

Last edited:
Honestly this is a huge disappointment. I'm not really willing to fork out cash for some new/improved crappy features and some awful redesigned button placements. They're going to have to push out some really good games to get my attention.

It's just an upgraded system, not an entirely new one. So if you don't think it's worth your money, then don't buy it. The only reason I'm considering it is because I never "upgraded" to an XL, so it might be worth getting this once since it will be a much bigger improvement from my first gen 3DS.

I'd say if the 3DS line takes years to "end", they could easily do another Mario Kart, but I doubt it on Animal Crossing, that game is extremely expansive as it is. Besides MK8 is going to be going on until at least May 2015 with it's DLC and what not, who knows if they'll decide to continue it past then or what. But I still wouldn't hold my breath for MK9 or something for the next 3DS.

I'm anxious to find out if they're axing DS support on this like how they took away GBA support on the DS Lite. The 2nd model lost it's backwards compatibility. That'd be a pain in the rear if that ended up happening imo. Especially this time the freakin cartridges are essentially the same shape unlike before.

Ergh, I already have an XL, lol.
Changed my mind. After I actually looked at it, I really don't want it. It doesn't look all too appealing tbh.

Last edited:
I'd say if the 3DS line takes years to "end", they could easily do another Mario Kart, but I doubt it on Animal Crossing, that game is extremely expansive as it is. Besides MK8 is going to be going on until at least May 2015 with it's DLC and what not, who knows if they'll decide to continue it past then or what. But I still wouldn't hold my breath for MK9 or something for the next 3DS.

I'm anxious to find out if they're axing DS support on this like how they took away GBA support on the DS Lite. The 2nd model lost it's backwards compatibility. That'd be a pain in the rear if that ended up happening imo. Especially this time the freakin cartridges are essentially the same shape unlike before.

I don't think they'd axe DS support. DS cards and 3DS cards are similar so you can put them in the slot, while GBA and DS cards are very different, so you can't put them in the same slot.

They've already answered this. It's fully compatible with DS games.

I just saw the trailer and i really hope they dont make any exclusive games to the new 3ds please oh please nintendo don't do this :(

; A;!!! THE ANIMAL CROSSING ONES. Ahhh I'm definitely upgrading if it comes out in the states. My 3DS is looking a lil worse for wear :<

Back