NEW Nintendo 3DS (& XL)

With the arguments people have given I am feeling conflicted now about actually purchasing one... I might wait a bit after it has launched, read some reviews of the new systems and any exclusive games then decide- I don't want to storm in and find that I don't like any of the exclusive games or whatever...

I'm quite happy that the home themes are coming to the current 3DS models, the Animal Crossing one looks really cute! (They have a picture on the Animal Crossing UK Facebook page)

I don't think the DSi/SP is a fair comparison in this case. Again, we need more data to truly know for sure, but by the looks of the Xenoblade 3DS demo, it's more than a small subtle power upgrade like the DSi had.

Adding to this point:

Here's a list of all the exclusive DSi games...

y1VQSGM.png

Yeah. Grand total of 3 released in the states. And nobody cared about any of them.

But this system is going to have Xenoblade ported right off the bat, a very big game? With very obvious graphical improvements. Presumably more to come. This is not comparable to the DSi at all.

I don't think the DSi/SP is a fair comparison in this case. Again, we need more data to truly know for sure, but by the looks of the Xenoblade 3DS demo, it's more than a small subtle power upgrade like the DSi had.
Adding to this point:

Here's a list of all the exclusive DSi games...

y1VQSGM.png

Yeah. Grand total of 3 released in the states. And nobody cared about any of them.

But this system is going to have Xenoblade ported right off the bat, a very big game? With very obvious graphical improvements. Presumably more to come. This is not comparable to the DSi at all.
Those are game cards. Look up the list of DSiWare and see how many games were actually unavailable on the DS/DS Lite. Apart from that, some games (like the Pokemon Black & White titles) had features made especially for the DSi. The DSi also completely dropped support for GBA titles, unlike the New Nintendo 3DS models since they don't drop DS game support.

So I still stand by that point. In fact, I think Nintendo is doing better with the New 3DS than they did with the DSi. There's fewer downsides to it.

Those are game cards. Look up the list of DSiWare and see how many games were actually unavailable on the DS/DS Lite. Apart from that, some games (like the Pokemon Black & White titles) had features made especially for the DSi. The DSi also completely dropped support for GBA titles, unlike the New Nintendo 3DS models since they don't drop DS game support.

So I still stand by that point. In fact, I think Nintendo is doing better with the New 3DS than they did with the DSi. There's fewer downsides to it.

I think you're misunderstanding my view. I'm not saying the new 3DS isn't a good system or anything, it's definitely better than the DSi by far. Not disputing that!

My concern is that it's maybe too good for being a current gen revision. It seems confused between being a totally new handheld and being a revision ala DS Lite/DSi/3DS XL. It's going to split the user base with good exclusive titles like Xenoblade 3DS, like a new generation would. But it's not one?!

And regarding DSiWare, the vast majority of those titles were exclusive for the sake of that only the DSi supported an online digital store for digital downloads. Not because of the power increase or anything.

I think you're misunderstanding my view. I'm not saying the new 3DS isn't a good system or anything, it's definitely better than the DSi by far. Not disputing that!

My concern is that it's maybe too good for being a current gen revision. It seems confused between being a totally new handheld and being a revision ala DS Lite/DSi/3DS XL. It's going to split the user base with good exclusive titles like Xenoblade 3DS, like a new generation would. But it's not one?!

And regarding DSiWare, the vast majority of those titles were exclusive for the sake of that only the DSi supported an online digital store for digital downloads. Not because of the power increase or anything.
Ahh. I think Nintendo is just following the trend of revisions of other consoles like the PS3, 360 and Vita, upping the power of the system and streamlining the older features. I don't think it's worth saying it's an entirely new system though, it's still the 3DS at the core of it all. Regarding hardware, it's a CPU upgrade, a Micro SD slot and usage of the camera to adjust the 3D. The battery power is something you'd expect to come with a new version. The other features were available for the 3DS/XL, the only difference is that now they're built directly into the system.

It's been confirmed that these new systems won't be releasing until 2015 in Europe. And presumably NA as well, not confirmed.

I just hope that they won't release any main series Pokemon Games for it since I just got my XL a year ago and don't feel like getting the new one after not having my XL for a long time. My GBA SP was around 3-4 years old when I got the DS Lite and the DS Lite was around 7 when I got the XL.

I just hope that they won't release any main series Pokemon Games for it since I just got my XL a year ago and don't feel like getting the new one after not having my XL for a long time. My GBA SP was around 3-4 years old when I got the DS Lite and the DS Lite was around 7 when I got the XL.

Someone was scaremongering on another forum that ORAS would be exclusive to the new models, so many people believed them... But the lack of full release date for Europe and America puts that rumour in the bin. I hope that Nintendo would just give any future games added features if they were played on the new systems, though if they do make them exclusive that will seal the deal of me buying a new 3DS

Wow, I was really hyped until I realized I'd have to buy the new 3DS for some specific games. I know some games would work even better due to increased CPU, but wow.

But there'll be lovers and haters. I got my 3DS XL on the release date so it's not a limited edition, there's nothing that I feel attached to. But I can imagine that people with one of the bazillion special editions would be mad at this, especially considering that any new 3DS/XL can be a limited edition due to the swappable covers.
I'm just surprised at the massive numbers of lovers on this one. Sure, the new features are great, but being force to pay 200+ more dollars (the normal 3DS models don't seem to exist in the US anymore) for something I already own just to play new games? Yeah, that's bothersome. I don't have money I can just throw around on these things. ;_;

The swappable covers are nice, but I seriously doubt they'll have my shiny, sparkly cobalt blue 3DS with fire emblem decor as a swappable cover. lol

That being said, I WAS thinking of saving up for an XL, because some games are just too difficult to see on a 3DS standard, so I'll probably get one when they come out here. If only to play smash bros on, lol.

Also, am I the only person who is ever bothered by the headphone jack being dead-center on the bottom of the 3DS? :(

On the other hand, I wonder if X/Y will run better when played on the new system.

If any Pokemon games are going to be exclusive to the new 3DS, I would assume it would be the 7th generation titles, and those are still some ways off.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm just surprised at the massive numbers of lovers on this one. Sure, the new features are great, but being force to pay 200+ more dollars (the normal 3DS models don't seem to exist in the US anymore) for something I already own just to play new games? Yeah, that's bothersome. I don't have money I can just throw around on these things. ;_;
A lot of the lovers quickly turned around though. I guess it doesn't bother me that much. I already own both an XL and 2DS, as well as two or more of various other handhelds. But I can see how it'd be a problem for some people.

I just read another article stating that the new 3DS's won't have a western release this year. D:

(and just as I feared, only the standard New 3DS has changeable covers :()

I like the swappable covers, but otherwise it's not something I really want to buy. I haven't even had my 3DS XL for a year, so it would suck to replace it already for an upgraded version and not a next generation Nintendo handheld instead. I also don't have the money to burn on that, so the news is a little disappointing for me especially if new games will not work on the current 3DS XL.

On the other hand, I wonder if X/Y will run better when played on the new system.

If any Pokemon games are going to be exclusive to the new 3DS, I would assume it would be the 7th generation titles, and those are still some ways off.
I think they will run better with the new CPU. Perhaps the lag during horde battles and when 3D is on will disappear.

Back