• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

NEW Nintendo 3DS (& XL)

Reindeer

 
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
July Birthstone (Ruby)
June Birthstone (Pearl)
May Birthstone (Emerald)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
November Birthstone (Topaz)
October Birthstone (Opal)
So in the Japanese Nintendo Direct, Iwata just discussed an upcoming model of the 3DS.

Please note this is still a 3DS, not the next generation of handhelds. This is as much as new generation of handhelds as the Game Boy Advance SP was - it's not.

The new features are:
- Better 3D viewing, so that it's even possible to view 3D images when looking at the screen from the side;
- While the New Nintendo 3DS XL's screens stay the same size as the current XL's, the screens of the New Nintendo 3DS will be 1.2 times bigger than the current version;
- C-stick above the face buttons;
- ZL and ZR buttons;
- Start and Select buttons moved to below the face buttons;
- Volume control on the top screen (opposite from 3D slider);
- Game cards, stylus and power button placed on the bottom of the system (where current models have just the headphone jack);
- Full Amiibo support, without the need of a peripheral;
- More powerful CPU for better system speed (especially regarding the eShop and Miiverse);
- Better battery life;
- SD card slot replaced by a Micro SD card slot;
- Can move files between 3DS and PC via Wi-Fi;
- Swappable covers (exclusive to New 3DS, New 3DS XL has fixed covers);
- Home menu themes. This doesn't appear to be a feature exclusive to New 3DS models, but the swappable covers can be used to match up with the theme.

The systems launch in Japan on October 11th. Obviously, no release date for NA/EU announced yet.

Alongside this, Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS was announced, and it will ONLY work on the New Nintendo 3DS (XL) as it uses the increased CPU power.

f6a2af2e5c.jpg

d647768ea9.jpg

be06dce1ef.jpg

82f19b12c5.jpg

423ede8267.jpg

966b6711c3.jpg

af813491bb.jpg

24623a1fca.jpg

226a452562.jpg

4e327ca0a0.jpg

b55cd87f8a.jpg

84da2ee3e0.jpg

96dae24d1f.jpg

6397675794.jpg

c5db9a154d.jpg

70077e43db.jpg

a5a15d97c8.jpg

b336ecd542.jpg

affa80b805.jpg

ef91961a69.jpg

b23845604f.jpg

GET HYPE

Last edited:
Let's not forget that the game card slot, stylus, and power button are on the BOTTOM of the system.

oh GOD THE SWAPPABLE COVERS

I'm done for.

Let's not forget that the game card slot, stylus, and power button are on the BOTTOM of the system.
It has its downsides, but no matter how you look at it, this blows the old versions out of the water.
Nintendo had completely sold me on this about halfway through the presentation, yet they kept going.

Just kill me. Take my money, Nintendo.

Yeah, I was saving up for an XL for Smash, but I'm definitely getting this instead. (Did Iwata say a release date?)

Yeah, I was saving up for an XL for Smash, but I'm definitely getting this instead. (Did Iwata say a release date?)
Just added the Japanese release date. No word on a western release yet, due to this just coming in.

I feel like the ZL and ZR buttons will be uncomfortable to push, but I guess we'll have to find out.

Can they please stop moving the stylus around and pick a damn spot already?

Welp, I'm gonna save up for the new 3DS then... I'll probably keep my current XL though for trading Pokemon and for when the new 3DS is charging. I like the swappable covers too. It will be a definite purchase in the future, especially if there will be games only playable on it.

i have an xl i want to cry i want this :(

if they make more games like xenoblade chronicles 3ds or w/e which can only work on the new one thats real annoying though

Am I the only person here who isn't pumped up by this at all? I mean, the new features are nice--especially for upcoming games like smash bros. But I have a Fire Emblem 3DS and I held out on getting a 3DS for months so that I could get it. I am not pleased with the idea that I'll have to use another 3DS just to play new games. :(

i have an xl i want to cry i want this :(

if they make more games like xenoblade chronicles 3ds or w/e which can only work on the new one thats real annoying though

I read "I have an XL I want to cry this" then imagined someone crying out 3DS XLs

Am I the only person here who isn't pumped up by this at all? I mean, the new features are nice--especially for upcoming games like smash bros. But I have a Fire Emblem 3DS and I held out on getting a 3DS for months so that I could get it. I am not pleased with the idea that I'll have to use another 3DS just to play new games. :(

I do agree with a lot of this. I'm feeling very conflicted at the moment. It's great that there's all these new features but it feels like a bit of a stop-gap... Like, they're providing the elements of a new handheld generation: New controls check, new more powerful CPU check (with exclusive games), new technology check... but it's not a new generation? I'm not sure I would feel safe buying into this when the REAL new generation should only be a few years away.

And to add onto that, maybe it IS a new generation? Depending on how powerful the new CPU is. I mean, the current 3DS would crawl a slideshow with Xenoblade, so it must be pretty good? Yet, it doesn't seem like they're marketing it as a new generation so I don't understand.

TLDR: Nintendo sucks at marketing and introducing new systems once again?

Can they please stop moving the stylus around and pick a damn spot already?
First it needs to go on the left so that it's been on all sides.

I do agree with a lot of this. I'm feeling very conflicted at the moment. It's great that there's all these new features but it feels like a bit of a stop-gap... Like, they're providing the elements of a new handheld generation: New controls check, new more powerful CPU check, new technology check... but it's not a new generation? I'm not sure I would feel safe buying into this when the REAL new generation should only be a few years away.

And to add onto that, maybe it IS a new generation? Depending on how powerful the new CPU is. I mean, the current 3DS would crawl a slideshow with Xenoblade, so it must be pretty good? Yet, it doesn't seem like they're marketing it as a new generation so I don't understand.
It's not like it is anything new for Nintendo, though. The GBA SP and Nintendo DSi are prime examples of this, where Nintendo upgrades the hardware. With the DSi they also got rid of the backwards compatibility.

But there'll be lovers and haters. I got my 3DS XL on the release date so it's not a limited edition, there's nothing that I feel attached to. But I can imagine that people with one of the bazillion special editions would be mad at this, especially considering that any new 3DS/XL can be a limited edition due to the swappable covers.

I do agree with a lot of this. I'm feeling very conflicted at the moment. It's great that there's all these new features but it feels like a bit of a stop-gap... Like, they're providing the elements of a new handheld generation: New controls check, new more powerful CPU check (with exclusive games), new technology check... but it's not a new generation? I'm not sure I would feel safe buying into this when the REAL new generation should only be a few years away.

TLDR: Nintendo sucks at marketing and introducing new systems once again?

i agree with this so much rip

The 3DS has been out for like 3 years now and idk I just don't feel comfortable having to buy a new 3DS simply to play new games when it isn't even a new generation. IMO this would have been better saved to keep on upgrading with and then just releasing the new generation so purchases would actually be justified other than some new stuff and the inability to play future games. :/

Unfortunately MH4U is coming out next year and that c-stick would be hella useful to me, but I'd prefer to buy the circle pad pro rather than spending a huge amount of money on this.

I don't think the DSi/SP is a fair comparison in this case. Again, we need more data to truly know for sure, but by the looks of the Xenoblade 3DS demo, it's more than a small subtle power upgrade like the DSi had.

On second thought, I don't actually find it appealing. I am attached to my current XL.
But if this is going to be one of those consoles where they abandon the other ones and make games exclusive to it, then it looks like I have no choice but to buy it.

Back