• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's your preference for naming side characters?

molas

*cpt falcon voice* whoops
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I'm currently redoing a side character to change some stuff around, and I was wondering what people prefer when they name their side characters whose homes are a dedicated building? Or what they prefer to see in dream towns.

Do you just give your characters normal names, or do you name them for the building their house is?

I'm wondering because while naming them something normal offers flexibility to change a home's purpose in the future, and it's a little weird to walk up to a wandering character in the dream and have their name be "School" or something, giving them the name of their building looks nice when clicked on the map.

I think the latter would work well with the layout my town has, while the former in general is more reasonable, so I'm a bit torn...

I tend to give normal names. But, I have had silly distractions when I was getting frustrated with plot-resetting an incoming villager into an established town. With my second town, Progress, I used one human over and over and just gave them the names of states. (Ones whose individual characters would fit.) That's how I have a human character named Colorado.

Mine have normal names. Even when they have a purpose, I like to play the side characters so I always give them names. That's why Haru isn't "pathmule" or "pictures". And when I plot reset, my third character is always Mako (free, anyone?)
Besides Haru's house being for villager pics, I haven't had a house be a place, so if you don't intend to actually play that character (or if it wouldn't bother you) it might be better for people going to your town or DA to know what exactly each building is.

ミ ☆ is my mayor name and I liked this guy for awhile so I made my second character look like him and his name was ミ ★ lol

I currently only have one side character. I named her Alice for the sole purpose of making her house Alice in Wonderland themed.
I'm planning on also making another side character in the future named Victor and making his house Frankenstein/horror/halloween themed. Not sure when this is gonna happen though because I've been doing some major renovations to my town lately XP

It depends on if I'm going to center their homes around something.
But I usually just go for normal names or names I like personally. Or family, of course

I, too, have this question.
The house for one of my side characters is going to be a garden shop, so I have no idea what to name him/her.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and to answer your question...
I don't have side characters yet.
But my brother uses an actual name for his.
For his side character, he used my son's name.

Last edited:
My side character's name is Lurai, named after the pet bird of Karana in Island of the Blue Dolphins. I couldn't think of any other name. Plus her house is supposed to be based on recreation and serenity, and I dunno, Lurai sounds pretty and peaceful to me :rolleyes:

I'm boring, my residents are (going to be) named after my characters, Liliana and Goni. I have no mules at the moment though, and my mayor's name is Santiago. I wouldn't like a character named "School" or "Hotel", even if Goni's house is going to be something like a hotel/palace (like.. a place where you'd be able to throw parties and stuff? I don't know). My town's not themed, though, I just want a simple town-looking place c: and I want that palace place because I like to imagine my villagers having dinner parties and balls. Might change it afterwards, but for now that's what I'm aiming at.

My one only side character is Cutie, which is a pun to Katy and also because hes a "cute boy" (Human villagers are cute too...).
I haven't got a theme for his house yet, since his name isn't related to any theme. But I have been thinking of turning it into a hotel or restaurant.

My characters are all named after anime or TV characters. Mayor is named Jaden after Jaden in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, plus I really like the name. My two female side characters are named Minako (Sailor Moon), and Kira (Power rangers Dino Thunder).

Mine have normal names. Even when they have a purpose, I like to play the side characters so I always give them names. That's why Haru isn't "pathmule" or "pictures". And when I plot reset, my third character is always Mako (free, anyone?)
Besides Haru's house being for villager pics, I haven't had a house be a place, so if you don't intend to actually play that character (or if it wouldn't bother you) it might be better for people going to your town or DA to know what exactly each building is.
I do have one sidecharacter I absolutely don't want to re-do for the sake of the naming convention, if I do decide to name them all after buildings. But then again her name is Poppy, which I can say is the name of the business or something.

I, too, have this question.
The house for one of my side characters is going to be a garden shop, so I have no idea what to name him/her.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and to answer your question...
I don't have side characters yet.
But my brother uses an actual name for his.
For his side character, he used my son's name.
Maybe give them the name of a flower? Like above you can easily just say the name refers to the place of business.

I'm boring, my residents are (going to be) named after my characters, Liliana and Goni. I have no mules at the moment though, and my mayor's name is Santiago. I wouldn't like a character named "School" or "Hotel", even if Goni's house is going to be something like a hotel/palace (like.. a place where you'd be able to throw parties and stuff? I don't know). My town's not themed, though, I just want a simple town-looking place c: and I want that palace place because I like to imagine my villagers having dinner parties and balls. Might change it afterwards, but for now that's what I'm aiming at.
I really like the idea of a place that has a ballroom, when it's set up I'd love to see how you've executed it.
Would seeing stuff like "Hotel" bother you in someone's dream town?

Mine are hagrid,hermione and josh.Josh represents voldemort but I made him before I started my harry potter town.Yeah most of my characters are harry potter based :D.My mayor is my real name Jasa

My side characters all have names of book characteres. For instance, my second character is called Miranda, from the book series by Fiona Kelly. And my third is Holly, for the same reason :)

I tend to give cute three letter name // whatever comes up to my head. So far I got: Ace, Kei, Nyu, Yui, etc etc etc (since i plot reset lol)...

I gave my two side characters pattern/sewing themed names, seeing as I only made them to hold patterns. I called them Patches and Stitch. I kind of regret it now because it sounds a bit stupid, but I've decorated both their houses and they're holding a lot of my rare stuff, and deleting and remaking is too much work for me :p
If I ever did remake them, I'd probably pick Pokemon character names, maybe Brock and Ash, as my town is named after a Pokemon town. If I were willing to go even further than that, I'd plan to re-decorate their houses with themes and have the character name tie in with that theme. I think that'd be really neat, like the 'School' character name and school-themed house mentioned in the first post.

Last edited:
i named my three side characters after the striaton gym leaders to match my theme.

I name mine after food if I'm planning on keeping their plot (Pudding, Tiramisu, etc) but if I'm just plot resetting or whatever I'll name them gibberish and delete them after.

Back