• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do you think google translate works?

No way, I tried converting English to my languages and it did not go so well, lol.

its okay???

it gives me the general idea of what im trying to translate
i used it a lot for spanish class last year. i used my own knowledge to tweak wacky translations

Google Translate literally translates each word, and it either is gramatically incorrect or just plain butchered. I thought it was so weird when people used Google Translate for the foreign language board that was up for a while way back; people complained about rhe weird sentences, lol.
But yeah, personally I don't think any online translator works, and it's best to ask someone that actually knows said language.

For individual words and phrases, yes. For sentences not so well, but if you know the basic grammar it;s really handy. It's also neat for translating pages enough to understand, and as a proxy.

i use it for french, and it works okayish. obviously things arent going to be grammatically correct, but im just using it for recreational purposes so its alright.

one day i will fully learn french and not have to rely on google translate...

When I was rather fluent in German, I school. I decided to check this out, it doesn't create the sentences correctly. In German, they use verbs in different points of the sentence, google translate will take what you say literally and keep it in that order. Therefore incorrect.

Google Translate just added Maori to it's arsenal, my native language. I just about died laughing at some of the things it butchered. Google Translate is crap.
They did?! OMG I have to see this.

Also no, but it depends how you use it. If I need a Japanese word or some Japanese and I can't type Japanese on this keyboard, I either draw in text and copy it, or use its english translation or romaji and see if it knows what I want lol.

But if I just go oh here translate this sentence for me lol, no...

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean it's OKAY, but it doesn't really get Maori so sometimes things are awkwardly worded xD
tumblr_lxnloxzDRr1r2wrwho1_400.gif

Awkward, unhappy kiwi gif?

I'll try it out later.

Last edited:
Oh wow, you weren't kidding lol. Well it is...new?

Last edited:
Can't comment on other languages, but it doesn't work for Irish at all. It can occasionally translate single words correctly but sentences? forget about it

It never works at all, many of the translated words become jumpy and inaccurate.
Though I still use it for Japanese onomatopoeia...just for that awkward manga effect in my drawings.

i think google translate can help you get the idea of what people are trying to speak but not good translator :p i'd say get an online dictionary i have one on my iphone/ipad.

Yea, this Is how I feel about google translate.

I wouldn't say it's crap because it is useful for making a foundation, but anything else doesn't really work

Last edited:
I'd say it's alright for languages like French or Spanish. For languages that developed very separately from latin/greek roots and structrue, like Chinese, Japanese, etc, definitely not.

It's never perfect except for really simple phrases though, haha! But as a program, it does pretty well.

Last edited:
It isn't garbage, it technically works. It's just that Google Translate doesn't take the sentence into context which butchers it.

I think it's good for single words but for longer sentences and paragraphs you need to do the work yourself. A machine can't learn a language for you.

Back