• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

College/University tips

Kirito

Sword of the Morning
Bells
Pink Hybrid Rose
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Winter Mittens
Lobo
Mint
I am going to university in three weeks and I am starting to freak out. Any tips on how to make friends, meet some girls, and maintain good grades? Basically I have no idea about anything: for example I am pretty sure I want to study in the main library, but it is so vast I don't know where to sit/which rooms are private. Stuff like that lol :(... Any tips?

Last edited:
We know nothing about your school library. We can't give you advice about it. You make friends the same way you've done in the past. Do your work and attend class every day. Get help if you don't understand what you're doing.

Uh.

First of all, if something is private, chances are it's going to have a big f*ing sign that says PRIVATE / IN USE. Study areas are usually marked off somehow. Idk about you, but my college actually had a program for freshmen that got them acquainted with the campus and its functions.

All that matters is that you get that diploma. I can't stress that enough. Regardless of your social life, you need to get that diploma and then GTFO. You don't even need straight A's. Just pass your classes. Pass your classes, and know when you've taken on too much work. If you're like me, you'll know you've taken on too much work because you'll want to die. Take only as many hours as you think you can handle, and keep the courses you're taking in mind. I mean, a Theoretical Physics class is going to take serious dedication and energy, so it's okay to schedule less hours to make up for that time-suck. Nawmean?

Every freshman is in the same boat as you, man. Nobody knows any of this crap going in. You'll be fine, and the girls and stuff- well, it's always nice to at least start with someone who has the same major as you. Er- not that I'm the best person to talk about dating in college- I've been dating the same guy since high school...but generally, do what YOU want to do, and befriend people along the way. Be f*ing nice. Befriend your teachers.

I say this as a Senior. You need to make sure you're taking care of you- and even if you do spend all night drinking or whatever, know that that's okay as long as you don't make it a habit. Forgive yourself, basically. If you fail something, you fail it and just try again. Skip classes when you're sick. It's okay- unless you're dying or something, then it's definitely bad.

GO BE A FINE YOUNG PERSON, but don't take yourself too seriously. You can do it, and you will. Forgive yourself for not knowing everything.

I WOULD HUG YOU BUT YOU'D BE SCARED SO.

Say hello to people, and start up conversations with people in your classes. Even if you don't become best friends, it's always good to have people you can talk to about the coursework. Remember that everyone is in the same boat: everyone will be just as nervous about making new friends, so go ahead and reach out!

As for the work itself, I think the biggest thing is to make sure you don't let yourself fall behind. Keep up with any weekly readings and try to start working on assignments well before they're due. Important due dates often tend to fall in clusters, and you really don't want to leave things to the last minute if you're going to have two or three things due in the same few days. It can get really hectic and stressful, but it's totally avoidable if you start preparing early.
You have to exercise a lot of self discipline to keep on top of your work, but you'll generally do much better (both academically and emotionally) if you don't let it pile up too much. Use a diary/planner or a plain old calendar so that you can mark in deadlines and start planning your time.

Also, make sure you get a map and maybe try to arrive early for class, just in case you need some extra time to find the right room.

Good luck! :blush:

^Pretty much what those two said ^

As someone in University at the moment, here's some of my advice: JOIN CLUBS AND BE SOCIAL. Seriously. I can't stress that enough.

Study what you have interest in, seriously. Don't be a doctor if you think it's boring as hell.

Yeah, socializing always help, if you can :p

Balance your needs vs your wants. If you want to have fun and make friends, make time to join clubs and meet people. But always keep your studies the main focus. Just get in and out of school as soon as possible, don't set up camp there so to speak and be content to sleep your days away and party all the time. Know your limitations, know that nobody's going to be there to baby you and tell you what you should do and why it's important- it's up to you to be responsible.

I don't know if you've chosen where you're living yet, but my BIGGEST tip on how to make friends is to choose the halls with the most rooms, and where everyone is jam-packed together. I was terrified when I went to uni, but because I'd chosen the most social halls with 12 to a flat, I couldn't NOT make friends. Now almost all my friends are from that flat, and the flat next door.

Also, join societies etc
For studying - don't procrastinate, and DON'T do all-nighters. Work hard and play hard.

Yep, there's already a lot of good advice in this thread! Keep in mind that nearly everyone else in your class feels the same way you do! Everyone is going in to something totally new with no idea what to expect. Try not to get frazzled if you get lost or something doesn't go quite as planned-you're there for the learning experience and you'll have plenty of them.

See if your campus has any clubs or groups that interest you, whether they are academic or otherwise. The start of the new school year is a great time to join up, try some new things, and meet new people. If you're living in a dorm on campus, try to prop your door open most of the first weekend (or even week). I know that sounds like silly advice but it will let your hall mates know that you are friendly and welcoming and lots of people will drop in to introduce themselves if the door is open!

If you are ever going to miss or skip a class email your professor ahead of time, especially if it's a small class. Having a good, friendly relationship with your professors can really help you through your classes! Don't be afraid to ask questions or get help if you don't understand something...just don't be that guy that holds everyone up at the end of the lecture with a bunch of philosophical what-ifs.

And finally, be able to laugh at yourself! If you end up in the wrong building, or don't know where the cafeteria is, or ask something that may seem obvious-just don't take it too seriously! I had my fair share of stupid embarrassing moments my freshman year, but they're all funny talking point between my friends and I now.

Take your 3DS and obtain streetpsses. See anyone with a DS, pull up a chiropractor and talk out your nose

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not chiropractor, I ment chair

I don't know if you've chosen where you're living yet, but my BIGGEST tip on how to make friends is to choose the halls with the most rooms, and where everyone is jam-packed together. I was terrified when I went to uni, but because I'd chosen the most social halls with 12 to a flat, I couldn't NOT make friends. Now almost all my friends are from that flat, and the flat next door.

Also, join societies etc
For studying - don't procrastinate, and DON'T do all-nighters. Work hard and play hard.

I am going to be living in a living learning community residence hall for pre health students since I want to try to go pre-dental. I don't really have extra money to join fraternities, but I will try to join dental and volunteer clubs so hopefully I can meet people there haha.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yep, there's already a lot of good advice in this thread! Keep in mind that nearly everyone else in your class feels the same way you do! Everyone is going in to something totally new with no idea what to expect. Try not to get frazzled if you get lost or something doesn't go quite as planned-you're there for the learning experience and you'll have plenty of them.

See if your campus has any clubs or groups that interest you, whether they are academic or otherwise. The start of the new school year is a great time to join up, try some new things, and meet new people. If you're living in a dorm on campus, try to prop your door open most of the first weekend (or even week). I know that sounds like silly advice but it will let your hall mates know that you are friendly and welcoming and lots of people will drop in to introduce themselves if the door is open!

If you are ever going to miss or skip a class email your professor ahead of time, especially if it's a small class. Having a good, friendly relationship with your professors can really help you through your classes! Don't be afraid to ask questions or get help if you don't understand something...just don't be that guy that holds everyone up at the end of the lecture with a bunch of philosophical what-ifs.

And finally, be able to laugh at yourself! If you end up in the wrong building, or don't know where the cafeteria is, or ask something that may seem obvious-just don't take it too seriously! I had my fair share of stupid embarrassing moments my freshman year, but they're all funny talking point between my friends and I now.

Thanks for the tips. I am just nervous about everything really. During orientation they didn't tour us around the campus a lot, so I am afraid of getting lost/not knowing where to go.

- When choosing classes and dormmates, don't just collaborate with your friends to put yourself together; meet new people
- take advantage of everything that's given to you, college is now privatized, you're tuition fees automatically pay for use of facilities all over campus
- take advantage of all academic resources available when facing a class with hard tests such as TA office hours, tutors, study guides, practice tests
- when studying for a difficult test, do it 3-4 days before; when studying for a final, start a week before it
- when doing HW, studying, get rid of all electronic distractions

Last edited:
drop out after one day. thats what i did 8)

Back