• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

what were you like when you were younger?

Liquid Ocelot

dead + tired
Bells
The Highschool and 8th Grade threads had me thinking about my 'past', and looking back on it from a bit of an older perspective.

I'm 21 now, and my teenage years sucked. I was a mess. I couldn't dress my way out of a paper bag- my hair was completely wild, and I was way into artsy poetry and generally just fed up with everything that wasn't art or literature. I had issues that didn't get addressed (until I was in college), felt like I was being suffocated all the time, and my grades were getting me a solid 3.2 at best. Ooh. Taboo.

I just remember being very angry, and I got in trouble mostly for being contrary. It was kind of a dangerous boredom.

On the plus side, I made some LGBTQA friends, openly declared myself bisexual, and met my partner of five years.

So. Tell me about your childhood / teenage self. I want to know I'm not alone in being kind of embarrassed.

Man, I was a mess from the time I was like...10 until like...a year ago? Being in college has helped me distance myself from a lot of the things that made my anxiety flare up but from middle school to high school I kind of lost my drive. My grades slipped, my anxiety disorders manifested themselves, etc. (I'm a little socially awkward, but my brain tended to magnify and internalize that feeling in my teenage years). Went through some serious issues my last couple of years of high school, but was able to recover with help from people close to me. I guess the plus side of that period of my life was that I made a lot of close friends, but it was...trying, to say the least. There are things I miss about high school, but I'm generally a lot happier where I am now.

One word. Brainless.

Had no idea what anything was, no idea how to act, yeah. Got in trouble plenty of times for doing things I never thought were bad at all. Some teacher somehow thought I was rolling my eyes and from then on I just started blinking every time I had to move my vision to something else. Never knew any cuss words besides "hell" existed until 4th grade, didn't know what 9/11 was until 6th. Too easily angered. Always did stupid things, always picked on, hated a lot of things, never knew when to shut up and never knew when to speak up. I absolutely despise what I used to be and used to do, whether it be a year ago or five. Couldn't act right, ever. People probably thought I was mentally challenged.

And in some ways I feel like I haven't changed.

Last edited:
ive always been shy. ive probably become more shy as ive become more self-concious. i did use to talk a little bit more - whereas now ive entirely shut up.

i was really shy and reserved. i generally didn't talk to a lot of people and i got scared and cried a lot. i havent changed much

ive always been shy. ive probably become more shy as ive become more self-concious. i did use to talk a little bit more - whereas now ive entirely shut up.

noooooo. don't do that. you have things to say and you should share them with people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i was really shy and reserved. i generally didn't talk to a lot of people and i got scared and cried a lot. i havent changed much

gskjg; please don't be scared and cry. being introverted is great, there's nothing wrong with it.

Are you scared of people? Or?

freshman year of high school was pretty terrible for me. bullied about the dumbest things (teenagers can be so cruel), and therefore, i was angry most of the time. i had pretty good friends in middle school; they were all focused on school and grades, but i switched crowds in high school and started hanging out with the ""emo"" or ""scene"" kids ugh. i went to local music gigs a lot, and looking back, i'm surprised my mom was even okay with that considering i was like 13/14, they were held late, and the venues were sketchy to say the least.

anyway, i switched schools sophomore year and got back on the right track i guess.

freshman year of high school was pretty terrible for me. bullied about the dumbest things (teenagers can be so cruel), and therefore, i was angry most of the time. i had pretty good friends in middle school; they were all focused on school and grades, but i switched crowds in high school and started hanging out with the ""emo"" or ""scene"" kids ugh. i went to local music gigs a lot, and looking back, i'm surprised my mom was even okay with that considering i was like 13/14, they were held late, and the venues were sketchy to say the least.

anyway, i switched schools sophomore year and got back on the right track i guess.

Dude, the emo kids were the closest thing my school ever had to "alternative" styles. Half the girls in my class wore those little coontail things.

Did you do your hair all scene poofy and swipe your bangs over your eyes? because i did the bangs thing SO EMBARRASSED.

Dude, the emo kids were the closest thing my school ever had to "alternative" styles. Half the girls in my class wore those little coontail things.

Did you do your hair all scene poofy and swipe your bangs over your eyes? because i did the bangs thing SO EMBARRASSED.

yes i'm still embarrassed about it. 1/3 of my hair was hot pink and there was a lot of backcombing and hairspray involved to make it look big. the bangs thing
WHY DID I EVER THINK THAT LOOKED REMOTELY GOOD?!

yes i'm still embarrassed about it. 1/3 of my hair was hot pink and there was a lot of backcombing and hairspray involved to make it look big. the bangs thing
WHY DID I EVER THINK THAT LOOKED REMOTELY GOOD?!

I used to backcomb my hair to get that edward scissorhands goth kid look.

And I used to think Audrey Kitching and Jeffree Star were the ****. I still listen to him every once in a while when nobody's looking.

noooooo. don't do that. you have things to say and you should share them with people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

gskjg; please don't be scared and cry. being introverted is great, there's nothing wrong with it.

Are you scared of people? Or?

yeah, well i mean, its more of an anxious feeling now and i do feel like crying but i don't really cry in front of the people. i can talk now and i do even if i am not feeling remotely close to be willing to talk to anyone. the crying feeling just has to do with idk.. talking to people? im afraid of people getting angry at me because it's happened from me just trying to talk and not really being able to. which shouldnt be a problem but i seem to think it is.

and scene hair was a huge thing for me like 2 years ago.. my dad use to call it a comb over

I had a lot more energy than I do now, that's for sure. I used to be more outgoing and talkative as well. I was annoying as hell too though so I'm glad I'm not really like that anymore.

I never went through a scene or punk kid phase like a lot of people did.
I always dressed boring and average since that's all I could afford. That and I'm not exactly skinny either :p
I was also really really whiny on the internet and was always moving between forums. If one forum started to act rude to me, I moved to another one pretty soon after.

In the end, some of the forums I'm on today I've been around for 6 or 7 years. I enjoy the forums, even if I don't really enjoy what the forum is about anymore. It's just fun to post and talk with people, honestly.

During my childhood, I was very shy, but I tried very hard to make friend and be out-going, but I ended up having people hate me and being annoyed of me and having nothing to do with me. Now that I think about it, I remember when I tried to play games with people, they didn't seem enthusiastic and they would suddenly get in a bad mood when I arrived, and yeah. I always start to feel down when I think about this time, but I actually had more friends back then compared to now LOL. How ironic. I also had a huge imagination. I also loved my hair because it was a lot more neat and thin compared to now, since right now it's thick, puffy and out of control (I'm a boy btw and I have hair that goes down to my neck, I'm getting it cut soon.) I was also very obsessed with anime from 3rd-6th grade. Also, I was known to constantly throw up during school. Oh god, I once threw up A LOT on my desk and the teacher was like "Why didn't you throw up in the trash?", since the trash was right next to me. The only part about this I liked was getting to go home early.

I'm still a teen but when I was younger I was incredibly awkward and clumsy. I mean, I still am, but maybe slightly less so. In elementary and junior high school I was more outgoing than I am now, and I made better grades. I used to get straight A's but as soon as I entered high school I went into a period where I was just really sad, so my 4.0 dropped to like a 3.4 and I was more uncomfortable talking with others. I also started getting a lot more anxious, while I was never like that when I was younger. It was just a phase I went into though, and now I'm kinda starting to get into my old habits, but I'm still definitely not as outgoing as I used to be.

I was adorable LOL
I didn't talk to people much unless spoken to and I was naughty in school. But I easily made friends.
I'd had a very bad childhood and it affected me pretty badly growing up.
But now im alot better with people and im planning on going uni! (which is huge for me o.o)
I kinda wish I had the energy then than I do now but eeh :3

I'm 16 so... I still am a child (and I might change even more so... x3), but... When I was like 10 years old, I was very different... I was way more of an extrovert. I loved going out with friends. I loved going to little parties and just being out and about and etc. I didn't have a large crowd of friends in primary school, but I found it easy to talk to people and got along with almost everyone in my class (unfortunately I was a bit judgmental at times and I didn't get along with certain people, but I'm not like that anymore). I used to have my hair in a bob, too (off my shoulders), and sometimes I wish I had my hair like that still because looking after long hair is a pain at times, but it definitely made me look younger. I've always had quite a young looking face, though, and I've always been quite short. :p Now, I'm a lot more shy, quiet, introverted, and do have a hard time talking to people. So yeah... I definitely preferred being a kid... Growing up is crap, and I'm not even an adult yet, so I'm not really looking forward to it.

I suppose when we're kids we want to grow up fast because we want to be able to have more independence and essentially more "freedom" (eg: being able to go out by yourself without your parents and etc), but... I think you have more freedom as a child, if anything. Growing up just means you're landed with more responsibilities. As a kid, you have no responsibilities... you just have all the time in the world to play. :( I miss that so much.

Back