How often do you go into games blind?

How often do you go in blind to new games?

• Total voters

Trent the Paladin

Lv 29 Nerd
Retired Staff
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Father's Day Carnation
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Festive Bell
Green Christmas Stocking
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Crescent Moon Glow Wand
Rainbow Feather
Yellow Pansy
Pikachu Easter Egg
With the growing trend of developers showing off their games early via Twitch or screenshot dumps, it's a wonder many of us still play the game. Like sure many developers won't show off the juicy bits of story mode and the trailers they release don't represent the full game, but by the time we get our hands on it doesn't it just seem boring and dull to you? And with so many platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Reddit and forums it's really difficult to avoid seeing potential spoilers for upcoming games, especially if others don't care to spoiler tag it.

As for me? I know it's pretty much impossible to go into games mostly blind anymore unless you go live the life of a hermit on a mountainside. So I mostly limit how much I watch and read about certain games. Take Mario Kart 8 for example, I mostly skimmed news and I definitely skimmed the direct on (pretty sure I only listened to the music segment). Went into the game excited about unlocking new and unknown parts, tracks and stamps.

Last edited:
I rarely do, simply because you can't possibly be excited for the game and have liked it on Facebook or something similar without screen dumps and videos being "leaked".

It's very easy for me to go into games blind because I don't have social networking accounts and I don't ever bother to look anything up except the release date and maybe a few other things.

I rarely do, simply because you can't possibly be excited for the game and have liked it on Facebook or something similar without screen dumps and videos being "leaked".
"Leaked". Convinced it happens so often now they're just calling it that because someone got excited to post it.

It's very easy for me to go into games blind because I don't have social networking accounts and I don't ever bother to look anything up except the release date and maybe a few other things.

Pretty envious, I can't help but look up a lot about a game I'm interested in.

I have the same problem. Anime, movies, games, anything. I have to search and read up on it. Not to mention spoil the entire thing. I don't have social networking accounts. I just do it.

Last edited:
Every single game (with the exception of Bioshock, ACNL, and Street Fighter) I have played, I have went in blind. I'm abstaining from doing so for FE:A, which is hard, because I only know about the marrying-stats mechanic, and I'm dying to know more.

I usually get into games through my friends, and more often than not, I can get into them blindly without actually having a whole lot spoiled for me. (More often than not though; I end up just watching the beginning, a few parts in the middle, and the ending so I can get a basic grasp of the story.)

Though a lot of the times I just was LP's... so I have no clue if that counts.

If it's a game on debating on getting or not, I'll do my own share of "research" on it and if and when I end up getting it, I already know what to expect and things aren't too surprising. However, if I'm certain a game is going to be really good, I'll refrain from that - I did that with ACNL; I saw a few of those trailers prior to release then forgot about it for a while only to miss the release by a week xD.

I usually do a little bit of research just to make sure I wont end up wasting my money, but other then that I usually go in pretty blind.

Shoot, I chose "Almost all the time", where I wanted to choose "Never".

Ironically, the only time I went blind into a game was AC:NL. I wanted a 3DS XL and the game I wanted wasn't available (yet? can't remember) so I ended up buying AC:NL because the reviews on that site were positive, but I didn't really know what the game was like or what it actually was about. It's how I ended up on this forum, because after playing for a few days and realizing I had no idea what I was supposed to do, I figured it'd be a good idea to go and ask for help. ^_^'

But AC:NL aside, I search for a lot of info; reviews, how the game works, and then I watch some videos to see what the game looks like (which may seems silly but if I don't like the graphics, I won't play a game). I think it would be impossible for me to go into a game blind or it would have to be something I've never heard of and that I get as a present or something. ^_^'

Apart from skimming info to sort of research it, lately I've been avoiding all major stuff about games I have my eye on. In the past I would watch LP's of whatever caught my fancy and I'd spoil everything, story and all, before I could even stick the game on my wishlist.

But if I get a game and I feel like I might "miss something" - collectibles or extras or anything at all - I obsessively pour through walkthroughs and tips to make sure I get every last experience point or unlockable or whatever that I possibly can.

Basically I'll go into it relatively blind, but give me even a hint of missable things and hours will pass before I'm done with my "research."

Last edited:
I managed to play 'Harvest Moon: A New Beginning' blind, but I'm usually very fussy when it comes to games. Most of the time, I have to see some kind of footage from the game, just to be sure that I'll like it. Usually I enjoy the game, despite seeing a couple of spoiler here and there.

When New Leaf was coming out, I regretted looking at all the spoiler and footage of the game. (I knew I was going to like the game beforehand) I still loved it, but it would've been nice to have a bunch of surprises, instead of knowing exactly what to expect. You're right though, it really is difficult to avoid spoilers a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Often/Mostly. I use to do Never, which worked for some time but then randomly like 5 years ago it stopped working as well. It seems that was when most of the more disappointing high budget games came out and even if you knew it looked good and fun, it sometimes wasn't :( Blindly going has given me a better experience now.

This is me. Never had Facebook

Never. The only except was Ac: nl

This is me too. I remember seeing the characters jumping into the water in the trailer and I was like whooooa I want it! But for single player games like Zelda, it's really fun to go in blind and get surprised by plot twists and stuff. When first playing a brand new game, even things like the menu can be fun to discover. In my opinion.

I have the same problem. Anime, movies, games, anything. I have to search and read up on it. Not to mention spoil the entire thing. I don't have social networking accounts. I just do it.

yeah, this is essentially me. I can't resist spoiling things for myself. and end up regretting spoiling it more often than not D;

that being said, I own and haven't started bravely default and no almost nothing about it. so that is going to be a blind experience for me.

I'm also looking forward to experiencing a persona/smt game blind. I went into smt iv half blind...but I don't plan on spoiling persona q and ultimax 2 for myself even if it is tempting.

Mostly blind. I try my hardest to not know anything about a game before going into it. It's much more enjoyable.

I don't go regularly on social networks. So I am pretty much blind all the time :)

I try nowadays because I find that if I already know what's going to happen or what the game includes (I need to know what it includes to a limited extent of course), then I'm not going to be surprised or excited by much when I play it. It's hard to avoid spoilers when you hang out on places like tumblr though, especially for really popular games like pokemon. There's no way I would have been able to avoid knowing who the champion was, for example.

Back