• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mario Kart 8 Official General Discussion

Why not set up a tournament thing in a couple of days, when people have gotten the game?

Yes you can. You can't have multiplayer with one person on the tv and one person on the gamepad though.

Oh man! You can upload videos to Youtube.

Graphics look ok but that map looks horrible. Are all the maps that cheaply made?

What would be the least amount of money people paid for the Mario Kart 8 Blue Spiny Shell Limited Edition if you decided to make a purchase of one?

I purchased the Mario Kart 8 Blue Spiny Shell Limited Edition and I only paid ?23.99. ($40.16)

Last edited:
Graphics look ok but that map looks horrible. Are all the maps that cheaply made?

That's one of the retro maps (from old games). So... yeah. Those maps never really had any gravity related tracks on them.

What would be the least amount of money people paid for the Mario Kart 8 Blue Spiny Shell Limited Edition if you decided to make a purchase of one?

I purchased the Mario Kart 8 Blue Spiny Shell Limited Edition and I only paid ?23.99. ($40.16)

Isn't that insanely low? I payed about ?60 for mine.

I paid 50 pounds for mine... 24 seems a bit cheap... especially withthe shell.

It is true that my game actually came to ?59.99, but I have only had to pay ?23.99 on the day.

-?10.00 Deposit prepaid.
-?6.00 Student Discount
-?20.00 Gift Card

Last edited:
Inital thoughts:

Battle mode sucks.
Coin is such a useless item to get from the box.
Pretty game.
That music.

I took today off from work to go get this damn game.
(A trip into town is a 30 mile drive. tfw you live in the wilderness.)

I can't wait to try it out. Looks insanely fun.
ALSO LOOKING FORWARD TO UPCOMING GET-TOGETHERS POSSIBLY?

Well here's my thoughts.

Battle mode sucks beyond belief (Durr tho)
Segment courses still exist, I hate those :/ (I hate one big course in a single lap, I love laps)
N64 Rainbow Road is overhyped, I hate the redesign and that it's now a segment course, really dissapointed.
I feel that majority of characters don't have a weight difference, I saw my brother playing as Wario and he said it was just like playing as Mario or Koopa
Why did I get a "8" when I was in second, I really ****ed my Brother up with it too

It's great and all but surely it could've came out ALOT better. That's sad for me to say since I've been into Mario Kart since Super.

Last edited:
Just went and ordered my copy online, getting it shipped to me... next week. Didn't get blue/spiny shell bundle though, but eh.
Now, next week just needs to come already, so I can go racing you all and mostly losing.

Hooray! I just got Mario Kart 8 today, along with a pro controller. But I won't play it until my pro controller is fully charged and maybe until after I go somewhere. But tell me, is Daisy and baby Daisy unlockable characters? If so can you tell me how to unlock them?

I've also never liked Battle Mode anyway so yeah that'll do.

Last edited:
So exactly as expected?

No, the battle mode absolutely sucks worse than anyone could expect. The coin appears way to often in the item box, so expect to be shelled consistently in 1st. Speaking of shells the blue devil has practically hit me every single lap, not digging that. If it wasn't for it being 50cc I'd probably be dead last each race.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hooray! I just got Mario Kart 8 today, along with a pro controller. But I won't play it until my pro controller is fully charged and maybe until after I go somewhere. But tell me, is Daisy and baby Daisy unlockable characters? If so can you tell me how to unlock them?

I've also never liked Battle Mode anyway so yeah that'll do.

They're already unlocked.

Back