• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hardest Bugs/Fish to Catch?

nammie

resident rep nana
Bells
Candy Corn Halloweaster Egg
Cobweb Halloweaster Egg
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
Mom's Plush
I just finished my bug and fish encyclopedia, and I was just wondering if anyone else had as hard as a time as I did with certain bugs/fish!!

I didn't have any trouble completing the bug encyclopedia (last one I got was a firefly, it just wasn't in season until now due to me TTing lol), but the last fish... the nibble fish... took me hours omg I've literally never had to fish for this long for anything!!

So was there any particularly hard to find bugs/fish for you guys? If you completed your encyclopedias, what was the last fish/bug you caught? And I guess if you had a hard time with diving, what was the hardest/last seafood (?? not sure what to call them) to catch/that you caught?

The tuna. I misunderstood where they were supposed to spawn so for several days I was fishing in the wrong spots. The only other fish I had to grind for was the saddled birchir, but as soon as I got one, I caught five in succession. Really weird.

The only bug I found annoying to catch was the mole cricket. I hear that little thing making noise, but it's hard to pinpoint where it is, so I end up digging 10 holes before I finally find it. And then I need to switch to my net and give chase.

As for seafood, it was definitely the spider crab. They're fast and they were the last thing I needed for my seafood encyclopedia. They rarely spawned as well, so I got tired of diving and selling what I caught a few times before I finally got one.

I'm glad I've completed the encyclopedias now. Now the only fishing/bug hunting/diving I do is for the badges, and the tournaments.

Coelacanth would be the hardest fish. Tuna I don't find so hard. Bug, IDK. Maybe a type of dragonfly?

The underwater creatures are the hardest for me, by far.
The coelacanth not so much when you fish in the right conditions I find...
For some reason I am ridiculously bad at catching fireflies LOL.
And tarantulas.

Nibble Fish and Char drove me completely mad trying to catch, and hardest bug was a Tarantula, mostly due from me running away from them in fright *shudder* Also, the Walking Leaf I found kinda rare to spawn if I remember from last year, took a while to find one.

I think the hardest fish I had to catch were any of the "huge" fish cause I could never tell the difference between sea-bass size and any other. I ended up catching around an inventory of sea bass before getting the one I wanted -.-

I also didn't know how to catch a mole cricket till like 2 weeks ago...so that was annoying.

Fish- Idk :p
Bug- Scorpion

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think for bigger fish the front of the shadow is a bit narrow and the actual fish is longer and skinny.

I think for bigger fish the front of the shadow is a bit narrow and the actual fish is longer and skinny.

Oh wow really? I'll take a look next time im hunting for one cause that'd be a life saver o:

The mole cricket omg, the amount of holes i dug to find it was unbelievable, then it jumped into the river.
Then i finally found another one which was just as much hassle!
I feel pretty bad when my villagers ask for one, because i always say no, i just hate them so much

The bees that attack you when you shake a tree.I still havn't mastered that one.

I think it's relatively easy to catch the bees, and I'm not nearly as terrified as I was of them in CF. Just make sure you have your net as the first tool you get when you press right on the D-pad, and as soon as you see the beehive, you run north and then get the net out, so they'll come right in front of you. I think there's also some luck in whether they're faster or slower than usual.

As for hard bugs to catch, I'd say tarantula. I'm terrified of them. I did manage to catch a scorpion, but it was terrifying and took a couple of tries. Tuna was also really hard, while the coelacanth was surprisingly easy (under the right conditions).

Last edited:
I got stung by a scorpion for the first time, so I bet the tarantula is going to be as hard. And I keep acidentally digging up mole crickets, idk how..

But I'm having trouble getting a napoleonfish.

The Raja Brooke Butterfly. I caught it Sunday finally. I started playing before 8:00am, went into the camping tent and met Hopper. When I exited, it was right in front of me near the river. But when I caught it..."You have no room! Best let it go!" WHAT. I didn't realize my inventory was full, nor could I drop an item to hold onto the butterfly. D:

It took me from 8:00am after the first one I'd ever seen until just before 5:00pm when they stop spawning to catch another. In that time I managed to catch everything else that I needed for May, minus the evening critters and the snail (need to plant bushes).

The mole cricket, I've had my ENTIRE village torn asunder and still didn't find it. The Char, the one at the waterfall, I can't seem to find that one and I know what times I need to be there, this one is more bad luck though.

I think I didn't have much trouble with the mole cricket because I have so little empty space in my town lolol
and I seem to hear from a lot of people that the char was hard to catch... is that the one found at the base of waterfalls?? I remember I had to fish from like... the top of the waterfall so that the line would fall into the bottom portion to catch some fish lol

also for the really big fish (i.e. coelacanth), idk if I'm just delusional but the shadows are a... tiny bit different from the sea bass shadows?? they seemed longer and less fat to me...

and I seem to hear from a lot of people that the char was hard to catch... is that the one found at the base of waterfalls??

also for the really big fish (i.e. coelacanth), idk if I'm just delusional but the shadows are a... tiny bit different from the sea bass shadows?? they seemed longer and less fat to me...

You're right on both areas! Fish like the Coelacanth, Tuna, Napoleonfish, and Blue Marlin all have longer shadows. It's helpful to go on tours like the Tuna-Kahuna/Ancient Fish Encoun-tour to get a sense of what they look like. It's just that when you're searching for rare fish like those, you see a Sea Bass shadow and think to yourself, "... That's probably a Sea Bass... but what if it isn't?!?" and you end up catching it anyway just in case, haha.

I didn't really have problems catching any of the fish. I usually got really lucky and saw them while I was just walking around aimlessly. During salmon season, I caught a Salmon, then 5 minutes later, in the same spot, I got a King Salmon, and then a few minutes later, I found the Char.

I hated catching the Mole Cricket, though. Walking Leafs are also really annoying to spawn. A villager asked me for one, and I literally walked around for 5 hours without seeing a single one. I had an easier time spawning Tarantulas and Scorpions!

Back