• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Your newbie mistakes when you started ACNL

I would sell all of my fish, bugs, fossils, and sea creatures instead of donating them. I've since learned my lesson and am definitely paying the price. I also had no idea about the resetting thing, so I regret not doing so with my town. I think I might have also sold my perfect fruit, but I can't remember.

Before I got New Leaf I studied it for about a month because I was so excited...My first town (that's now reset) I had the worse house placement in my opinion, basically on the edge of a cliff with no room to landscape around it and the worse thing that ever happened to me on this game was a flower apocalypse..my town was literally overflowing they were everywhere even in all my extra storage!!!! it got to the point where I really couldn't take it anymore because it made landscaping impossible having to move them and having to empty your pockets every 4 seconds and not having room for anything else. never will I make that mistake again.

my big mistake was not understanding how time travel worked, and accidentally losing two of my favorite villagers because of it. Ah well, pretty cool ones came along to replace them...

Spamming the A button when catching a fish to complicate myself where I could've just simply hold it down.

Last edited:
Not knowing fruit stacked for WAYYYY too long. I would go and get 16 single fruit pieces and go to re-tail, get 16 more, go back to re-tail. It was horrible, and then one day I said something to my friend and she said "you know you can stack three trees worth into one basket right?" What a revelation! I was embarrassed that I hadn't figured it out and sad I couldn't get back those hours I wasted gathering fruits...

Wait...you're not suppose to constantly hit the A button? Well, I guess I know how to properly fish now

Haha yeah, I guess that's one of the common mistakes. I wouldn't say that it is completely wrong since even if you're fully aware of it, you'd probably still want to fish the way you're accustomed to (or your finger would still subconsciously tap the button every time). Whatever works :)

You don't even have to hold it down :p Just press A as soon as the fish bites. The rest is automatic :)

Good. That works too. I'd probably still hold it down especially when I don't feel like using my earphones to make sure I've pressed the button as soon as the fish bites :)

I don't remember since it's been so long since I've been a newbie at these games. I was like 7 when I first played it and that was like 15 years ago :(

I didn't know about assessing the fossils until my sister told me. I had been selling the unassessed ones for 100 bells for like two months.

Just planting flowers and trees wherever just so I could harvest the fruit for bells and get town rating up. Taking my ID pic before I fully understood how to customize my mayor.

Restarted my very first town because I thought something was wrong with it.

That thing when you have a new villager and they don't let you do nothing for them (they just got done unpacking yesterday)...For like a few days...I think.
I thought it was a glitch so I ended up restarting that town, good thing I didn't do much there.

Buying fake art, didn't know it was a thing.

I sold a bunch of unassessed fossils because I thought they had no use to them.

Horrifying placement of PWP's/trees/bushes (I'm still guilty of it tbh).

And you know what I didn't know until like a couple months ago? That you can stack bamboo shoots. I'm a dork, I know :p

And you know what I didn't know until like a couple months ago? That you can stack bamboo shoots. I'm a dork, I know :p

I've been playing regularly for almost 3 months only just figured that out the other day! Ah, the inventory space I could have saved...

I ate my perfect cherries! i had two when i started and I ate both of them! it took forever for another perfect cherry to grow :(

Tabby gave me a persimmon and i thought it was qn orange so i turned my game off in hopes of a better gift...

- - - Post Merge - - -

You don't even have to hold it down :p Just press A as soon as the fish bites. The rest is automatic :)

I....always hold it down I had no idea itcwas automatic

I don't know if it's bad luck or a mistake I'm making, but apparently I'm too friendly to villagers I don't want, so they rarely leave. :(
Also, for a long time, I had no idea that flowers make grass grow again on bare spots. So in most of my saves over the years (I started playing when the GC game was the current one), I've had ugly bare spots all over my towns.

Last edited:
i can only think of two mistakes i made, and i'm not sure if one of them even really is a "mistake." it just depends on how you want to play the game i guess. but originally, i didn't realize how important proper placement of PWPs (especially the ones you can't demolish) would be in laying out your town, mostly because i didn't know people made paths and designed their towns so thoroughly. that means i placed a few of my permanent ones in random places that were "good enough" before i realized what i wanted to do with my town. thankfully, i think i dealt with my placement choices pretty well :)

my other mistake was not knowing about perfect fruit and how you start with one somewhere in your town. i probably ended up selling mine because i had to wait so long to find another! (i didn't want to risk trading at that point because i didn't want to pick villagers up from peoples voids)

Back