• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Your newbie mistakes when you started ACNL

New leaf is my first AC game...so unraveling the game mechanics was an adventure. Like how you can group fruit together in baskets. Lemme tell ya, harvesting was a real pain until one of my villagers was kind enough to point it out to me. XD

I played animal crossing for the gamecube, that doesn't have all the nifty features of ACNL, so it really was like starting all over again lol. My first mistake was not knowing I could look up face-creations nor that I could reset and get 4 new maps to choose from. Second mistake was selling my one perfect fruit in my first town. Had to wait ages before a new one would appear! Placements of things have never been my strong suit either xD

2017, baby! New year, new people and new stories! :D

When I was starting out I knew I would want to pave my town so I placed my house in a good spot near most of the villagers. :)

But I did....

-Not know I could choose a map

-Not know about choosing my face

- Sold my perfect orange.

(I learned this was a mistake and now thanks to people's kindness I have an orchard! Also, I perfect orange spawned on a regular tree today! :) )

I just read this whole topic and want to see more stories! Looking foreward to them!

Last edited:
Keeping all Re-Tail slots free and watch as my villagers' homes became empty. Now, the colorful balloon set has been on display for ages. :)

Last edited:
When I went to Tortimer Island for the first time, I caught a lot of bugs and fish. I sold them to Leila instead of taking them back home since I didn't knew you could do that so I only earned like 300 bells. >_<

When I first started ACNL a few years ago, I didn't bother checking the other maps. I literally went with the first map that I saw. And I either sold or had someone plot on the tree with the perfect fruit on so I couldn't plant any perfect oranges for a while. I also never plot setted until I was half way done with my first town. Yeah, my first town was a mess.

The only thing I wish I did or knew was how to reset your town map (before I started the game ><). I currently hate my town map, but I am so far into my town, I don't want to start over. I received the ACNL collector's edition 3DS for christmas, and will probably start a new town on there :). I just wish I researched more and was a bit wiser before I started the game.

Leaving my face the same
Not knowing I could tt
I messed up on the perfect fruit and sold all my fossils before having them examined

Jeez thank god my 9 year old self decided to pick a good map unknowingly

ugly map layout and horrible placements of permanent pwp T_T

Same! I put my police station and campsite right next to each othe, my reset center is in thr middle of my path, and my flower clock is at the very edge of town where no one will ever see it -_-

I didn't know I could keep resetting the game when choosing a town map, so I ended up with a really sucky map in my first town. Thankfully, I've since reset after the update, so I now have an awesome map with a ton of bells, lol.

Chose the worst map ever, that had max ponds and terrible rock placement. (stuck with it)
Terrible location of the house too. Oh wells, I had to deal with it.

I didn't make many mistakes.
But, I did ignore my villagers and lost my physical town :(
I also used to have a habit of picking the worst possible map layout. ACNL is full of happiness and regret.

Currently i live in Auxilium, my third and hopefully permanent town.

I never noticed you could upgrade your stores by spending certain amounts of bells. Meaning, I was stuck with the basic Nookling Junction.

• Not taking a photo of the tree-planting ceremony in my main town of Ruddyoak. Starting this town was literally the first time I'd ever used a 3DS, and I had no idea that I could take a pic--let alone how to.
  • Planting my sole perfect apple next to Mayor Athelwyn's house; sure enough, Ribbot moved right on top of it the following day. It took me ages to get another.

...I seriously thought the Island was useless and never went there. I had to pay 1K Bells to go there (and I never had any Bells to spare, so it was a huuuge amount, lol) and there I could watch all the butterflies and fish, cause Kapp'n didn't allow me to take my equipment with me to the island...
I never knew the gyroid would lend you equipment, I didn't imagine I could talk to him, and I never tried to cause I have a natural aversion to gyroids XD

How wrong could I be? ^_^' Useless Island.

From the OP; I thought this was funny because my GameCube island was called Useless Island.
Not because I thought it was actually useless, but because my town was based on the BBC show, "Monarch of the Glen," and Useless was the name of the dog that got one of the main characters blown up during a fishing trip.
(Sorry for the spoiler, but it's an old show!) :p

Back