• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Your newbie mistakes when you started ACNL

Melyora

Yora of Lorelin
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Cosmos
Lump of Coal
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Orange Mote of Flame
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Classic Easter Egg
Cake
Blue Feather
I am curious what mistakes everyone made when they first started playing ACNL, or any AC game (cause you probably know most of the mechanics of ACNL when you played other AC games before).

Anything goes, things you didn't know, wrong campsite placements, button-mashing to quickly and missing what you're supposed to do.

I will start off.

I only played AC:WW before, but only for a short while and I did not understand it XD So played 4 days and quit.

Then I started AC:NL and I seriously thought the Island was useless and never went there. I had to pay 1K Bells to go there (and I never had any Bells to spare, so it was a huuuge amount, lol) and there I could watch all the butterflies and fish, cause Kapp'n didn't allow me to take my equipment with me to the island...
I never knew the gyroid would lend you equipment, I didn't imagine I could talk to him, and I never tried to cause I have a natural aversion to gyroids XD

How wrong could I be? ^_^' Useless Island.

xD I played AC:WW back there but I am not very serious bout it (not to mention the cheat code from R4 make everything easier). Plus I never knew about plot resetting which is not a very big mistake, just it can be better if I knew about it. Also one mistake is I never consider my house placement and randomly place somewhere I think is appropriate lol luckily it doesn't turn out bad today =D

I sold every bug and fish and never put them into the museum. Still trying to rebuild it. ;m;

I guess mine would be the placement of everything. My layout is pretty "bad." But I knew that when I did it, I just didn't want to stress about design, because I don't usually care a whole lot about that!

When I put my campsite in front of the town hall.
That town will not be existing ever again.

ACNL's my first game, but I've found it pretty straightforward.

I don't think I've really made any big mistakes, or at least not that I paid for... I took the first town offered but it turned out to be a fairly nice one with perfect cherries. I didn't know about the different faces but my guy still ended up with my favorite face. My only regret, really, is that Isabelle wouldn't let me have my house where I really wanted it (at the end of the peninsula) but now I think I could've got it there if I'd shuffled myself about a bit and kept asking her. Still, the location I've got isn't half bad.

If it counts, I dragged my heels about building the Dream Suite but now I've got it I really enjoy visiting random dream towns. I probably should have gone for that a lot earlier.

im bad at guessing.. so i thought the genuine artworks were the fake ones -,-

I didn't know about plot reset back then and I had past villagers plonking themselves in weird spots of town.

I also didn't know about campsite reset back then and saw bare campsites almost everyday.

Last edited:
Foolishly selling sahara and non-redorderable items at Re-Tail thinking I could just buy them off the catalogue T.T

to unlock the dream suite i thought 7 days had to pass at least, but it had to be the 7th day exactly
i was way past the 7th day so i tt'd back

xD I played AC:WW back there but I am not very serious bout it (not to mention the cheat code from R4 make everything easier). Plus I never knew about plot resetting which is not a very big mistake, just it can be better if I knew about it. Also one mistake is I never consider my house placement and randomly place somewhere I think is appropriate lol luckily it doesn't turn out bad today =D
I had ACWW on a R4 as well, but I never got through the basics of the game...
Now with ACNL I found the forum after several days of playing and that helped me a lot, hahaha, also with the plot resetting which turned in handy the very next day since the 8th villager moved in yet (kept resetting till it was a nice spot and it turned out to be Beau <3 He's so sweet).

I have accidently sold my silver fishing rod...twice. lol
Oops, I always check if I haven't selected one of my equipments when selling stuff. I did lose my watering can once, when playing a game with Blanche in the campsite... Leif had it for sale the same day so it was no issue, but I ask myself why I ever agreed with gambling for my watering can.

I sold every bug and fish and never put them into the museum. Still trying to rebuild it. ;m;
Awwwwww, that's hard! I remember doing that as well in ACWW, but it was only in the beginning and mostly animals that were easy to come by... Good luck with building your museum! =D

I guess mine would be the placement of everything. My layout is pretty "bad." But I knew that when I did it, I just didn't want to stress about design, because I don't usually care a whole lot about that!
I told myself the same, but once I found out about plot resetting I used it the very next day on my 8th villager move-in. And I reset like >15 times -_- But now with my recent move-in (Blanche from the campsite) I decided not to be picky, but just make sure she doesn't demolish any of my perfect fruit trees (which Fang did...)

When I put my campsite in front of the town hall.
That town will not be existing ever again.
Hahahaha, this made me laugh. I praise myself happy that I found this forum and saw several things about PWPs and people complaining that you cannot remove/replace the campsite. So I put it somewhere where it's not in the way and where I don't have to pass often to look at the empty spot when it's empty...

ACNL's my first game, but I've found it pretty straightforward.

I don't think I've really made any big mistakes, or at least not that I paid for... I took the first town offered but it turned out to be a fairly nice one with perfect cherries. I didn't know about the different faces but my guy still ended up with my favorite face. My only regret, really, is that Isabelle wouldn't let me have my house where I really wanted it (at the end of the peninsula) but now I think I could've got it there if I'd shuffled myself about a bit and kept asking her. Still, the location I've got isn't half bad.

If it counts, I dragged my heels about building the Dream Suite but now I've got it I really enjoy visiting random dream towns. I probably should have gone for that a lot earlier.
I want to build the Dream Suite too, but I don't have Wifi for the next month >< So it's not worth it yet. I will definitely start building it when I get Wifi so I can visit lots and lots of pretty towns!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Foolishly selling sahara and non-redorderable items at Re-Tail thinking I could just buy them off the catalogue T.T

Wait what, they are non-reorderable? O_O I believe I might have sold 2-3 walls/floors as well... Which equals the amount of time she has redecorated my room. Fuuuuuuu-...

... I could never figure out how people were getting tools on the island.

It took me like a week or two to figure it out... And I only figured it out going on to the regional island and I saw someone talking the the gyroid and I was like, "WTF are they doing*? Why are they talking to that?" and then they pulled out a net... and I was like "Oh..."

Last edited:
ive played every other AC game, so I knew the basics, but my main mistakes were selling unorderables & not plot resetting. now im missing some cool unorderables and I have to get rid of renee D:

Back