• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smug Villagers

Amalthea

The Last Unicorn
Bells
I've got some pretty mixed feelings about the smug villagers. Their flirtatious nature makes me uncomfortable sometimes(I already have to deal with that enough in-game every time I try to go to the island... thanks Kapp'n), and I find their emotionally intimate and romantic dialogue to be... well, kind of exhausting in large quantities. They're certainly a unique character, that's for sure.

How do you feel about the smug villagers? Do you like this new personality type? Who are your favourite smug villagers?

Haha, good ol' Kapp'n. I like smugs, though, I do notice how much more romantic they are with the opposite gender. It took me by surprise when I was playing my alternative character. It can be a good and a bad thing sometimes.

Ed is a smug character and i find him really funny and unique

Welp, considering I got Lionel and Beardo as my starting smugs, I don't really get the romantic vibe some people get. I find what they say gentlemanly, not flirty. :p

My two favorite smugs are Lopez and Curlos, who moved into Chrome today. <3

Last edited:
They're fairly flirtacious to guys too, haha.. But I love my Eugene so much <3

Phil and Henry are epic Smugs too.. I love them to bits :)

I like them. But between the two new personalities, I prefer Uchis. I love how tomboyish they are!

My favorite Smug is Hans!

I don't like the flirtatious element. They just annoy me in general. "A package for me? Is it something really good, old dog?" How the $&@# should I know? I don't have any left and will only get another if Alpine needs their PWPs, and I generally don't like their PWPs anyway.

I like Smugs, they're probably my favorites. They seem pretty different from the other types, and I don't mind the bits of flirting much. (it's funny to share with other people sometimes, and they leave the greatest letters xD)

I'd say my favorite Smug is Jacques. Then again, he's the only one I've had before, and since the beginning of my game (besides Beardo, he was ok but I didn't like him enough to keep him)

Smugs are my favorites! Personally, I'm a sucker for romance. It's kind of pitiful, haha. I really like their dialogue, one moment they'll be very inspirational, the next they'll be spurting cheesy dialogue to everyone. Their letters are pretty cool, too.

I don't like the flirtatious element. They just annoy me in general. "A package for me? Is it something really good, old dog?" How the $&@# should I know? I don't have any left and will only get another if Alpine needs their PWPs, and I generally don't like their PWPs anyway.
LOL! Talking to them too much tends to make me a bit irritable, as well. They're so sentimental and they romanticize everything... why can't I just have a simple, casual conversation?!

I love them. I think they're charming, and if I'm in a bad mood, I talk to either the smugs, or my peppy (Carmen) and it cheers me up a little. :D

But Pietro made a rude comment to me about a piece of furniture I brought him and it literally SHOCKED me. It wasn't even that bad, something like "you weren't listening, lets try this again and see if you'll get it right this time". I have had a grudge against him for that for a few days now, IDK how to explain it. XD It was just so weirdly out of character for him to scold me like that.

They're my second favourite after crankies, I find their "flirting" really light and innocent, it's just goofy and funny to me lol.

I never really noticed the smugs tendency to flirt until today.I'm a guy but I have a female mayor in one of my towns so I just thought it was kind of funny but I could see where a female player would feel uncomfortable.Overall I like the smugs and their eccentricities.I have Lionel,Tex(as seen below),Quillson and Marshal in my towns and they're all equally weird and flaky.

jM4ddX5 - Imgur.jpg

That's when they ask for something like a 1x1 piece of furniture and you give them a 1x2. Marshal pulled that with me, but he wasn't a favorite so I laughed it off. It does kind of hurt when the uchis say, "This guy again? Can't you just leave me alone?" I don't speak to Phoebe too many times a day so I don't have to hear that.

I love them. I think they're charming, and if I'm in a bad mood, I talk to either the smugs, or my peppy (Carmen) and it cheers me up a little. :D

But Pietro made a rude comment to me about a piece of furniture I brought him and it literally SHOCKED me. It wasn't even that bad, something like "you weren't listening, lets try this again and see if you'll get it right this time". I have had a grudge against him for that for a few days now, IDK how to explain it. XD It was just so weirdly out of character for him to scold me like that.
Wow, I've never heard that dialogue before! That does seem a little shocking for a smug character. But it's true to their personality's namesake.

They're my favorite personality in NL. :)
I love how they talk about comic books and anime hahaha, and trains!
And I love that they can be a little harsh and rude to you at times, like a very close friend could be.
In WW I liked the crankies better.
But they're too mellow now.

Last edited:
They say the thing about sitting on your lap to guys, too. Yeah, Hippeaux, that's just not going to work for me. Hippos be big.

Back