• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you judge people by their grammar?

I don't really mind people with poor grammar or capitalization since others are not as exposed to the language as some are. In the case of people who can speak English well, I don't mind poor capitalization or grammatical errors either. I am more concerned with the message they want to convey, rather than how they construct their sentences.

On a side note, I am meticulous with my sentence construction and I sometimes find myself stupid when I do find myself making such errors.

People who really do care about that are usually quite annoying people, like who cares its the internet, and if people take grammar and spelling that seriously probably shouldnt be interneting lol, but if there spelling is un-readable then ok you can care a bit.

I only judge the people who say English is their native language, but can't grasp their, they're, and there, or similar things. I knew the difference in, like, third grade.

No Lol
i got A's in English through education,but type awful on the internet as i cba

Punctuation goes on the outside, and I remember learning that you shouldn't type out full sentences inside them either, so there'd be no need for any other punctuation. I'm pretty sure the only place I ever learned that was in AP English Comp.

oh thank you!! this clears it up for me uwu

Not much really. I have a friend who is like that, but he is quite understandable. He's also quite a nice guy. I understand that his native language isn't English, but it's actually pretty good for a person who is from Sweden. What bugs me is that not only do some people have horrible grammar, they act immature as well. Whenever someone trolls them, they just reply back, "NO!! NOOO!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!" Instead of actually just using the report button. Even though they claim to be 18 years old and up. That's what grinds my gears.

Sometimes I have bad grammar due to the lack of concentration, because I stay awake until 5 am.

Last edited:
I'd have it say people that are so anal about grammar, especially other people's grammar, aggravates me much more than ppl thy typ lik dis. But people that type like that also bother me too~ Basically both extremes annoy me, but grammar nazis just a but more than people that can't type. It especially annoys me when people are debating, and one person corrects what the others saying... Ugh. They look like such smartasses.

No.

It's fun to tease them about it though, even if that means I'll cop it eventually for making the same mistakes too.

I try not to judge people by their grammar or syntax. I understand a lot people have difficulties with language, or that English may not be their first language. As long as someone is able to communicate their ideas effectively, I have no problem with the way people speak.

I don't judge people based on their grammar, but like anyone else I make subconscious assumptions about them according to their language use and grammar etc. When it gets to the point
'whn evry wrd iz spellt rong'
I start to get annoyed though. But I use smilies and acronyms like BRB all the time!

yep. I'm slack with grammar myself, but if someone is difficult to comprehend, there's where I start getting annoyed and immediately think you're not exactly the brightest sock in the knife drawer, haha.

I so agree. I.e.: JoJo. Jojo probably has the worst grammar on this forum.
I usually judge people on their grammar. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't use you're/your or their/there/they're right.

I used to but now when it's on the internet, I don't care for it anymore. It always bothered me so much when I got my grammar wrong or when I got typos but now who cares. I've met some great people who doesn't care about grammar and I'm glad I got to know them. In fact, people who doesn't care about grammar are my favorite kind of people. And for English class, I remember having to correct some papers (exchange papers) and I was a little pissed because I had to change so many things such as their "they're their there" and spellings. But now I don't really care anymore.

If English is your native language, yes, I will judge you if you are grammatically incompetent.

No, not at all. Well, not at forums. Work is different, right? :). But here, if you are using a mobile you might let bad grammer or spelling mistakes go even as you type. Also, there are a lot of non Engish speakers here. I dont know how good i would be on a french forum or something.

I don't. Vastly incorrect grammar irritates me sometimes though, no matter who it is.

Last edited:
nah it doesnt bother me. i care more about the message the person is trying to get across

Back