• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you judge people by their grammar?

CR33P

Bells
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Cake
May Birthstone (Emerald)
if somebody uses proper grammar, do you take them more seriously than when they don't have grammar?
i usually don't bother to use capitalize the first word of my sentence, but i do take people more seriously when they have good grammar.
however, one thing really gets on my nerves. When People Start To Do This.
also when people misuse their, they're, and there

not saying i hate them for it, but when somebody talks with perfect grammar i'm always like
oh snap he's very very serious omg ah

yep. I'm slack with grammar myself, but if someone is difficult to comprehend, there's where I start getting annoyed and immediately think you're not exactly the brightest sock in the knife drawer, haha.

If someone has perfect punctuation and little to no emoticons, I assume they're older. People in their twenties joke around a lot despite lacking the emoticons, while the 17-19 ages tend to sound all serious business. People in their late twenties to thirties use those...:)ish emoticons in a very...separate fashion. If someone uses "XD", "._./.-.", "o-o", etc, with perfect punctuation, I assume they're teenagers or younger. I assume that people who mess up capitalization, use little emoticons, sound REALLY dramatic by SUDDENLY CAPITALIZING what they SAY, and misspell a lot are extremely young. I assume people who use ellipses and emoticons, misspell a lot, and talk in strange breaks are foreign. I assume people who use a lot of text speak on a forum are something that is too mean for me to say on tbt.

The tone changes pretty heftily depending on where someone hangs on the internet though! I can tell pretty well/fast when people come from 1.) tumblr 2.) reddit 3.) 4chan is so cool and edgy 4.) 4chan is ok if you stay away from /b/ 5.) spend most of their internet time on FB. Bad grammar can just be being casual in one place and in another, it just means you're...a sock. It kind of depends on if it's intentional I suppose.

I agree that it's kind of silly but at the same time I'm more often correct than I'm wrong in my assumptions concerning these kinds of things.

I don't think I judge people by their grammar, but it definitely bothers me when people use your and you're wrong. And when they spell embarassing wrong (I like to reply back as "well it's embarrassing to spell the word wrong huhuhuhu). Not that my grammar is perfect, not near LOL.

Only reason I get bothered by the your/you're use is because in grade 5 I was put into a corner to fix the issue I had with it ;__;

what if english isnt the person's first language? i think that can be excused i mean cmon (im assuming we're talking about english grammar)

If people judged mine I'd be a posh English person trying to sound cool once in a while. I'm not posh, nor English. Soyeah.
I know it isn't like that, but I know someone elsewhere on the internet, who does that. Rather annoying.

I used to have 'perf' grammar on the internet
now whenever i write, my grammar is horrible

what happened to me

I don't think you should judge anyone by their grammar. That by no means reflects their intelligence, some people just don't want to be bothered or just want to get things across quickly.

I use "xD" and "lol" a lot because I am a generally positive person and want people to feel comfortable around me, and the only reason my grammar would be correct is because of auto correct on the iPad. I write enough essays in school and do enough homework that when I get on the internet, I just want to chill out. It would be pretty sad if someone judged me because I was relaxing lol

I am sorry to not have a very good grammar >< please don't hate me =( I will accept when people correct me cause this way I can always improve myself =D

I start judging when the majority of words they use are misspelled by a native English speaker. It's pretty common practice, so I'm not going to point it out like a jerk unless I'm annoyed. Like any other person on the internet.

It's not like I haven't had my grammar corrected either in college (I tend to use a lot of commas) so it's not really a big deal. I don't treat it as a horrific crime as others perceive judging (and being judged) to be.

I call BS when people say they don't judge. Nobody's a saint.

I am sorry to not have a very good grammar >< please don't hate me =( I will accept when people correct me cause this way I can always improve myself =D

dont worry about it. honestly, i always know what you're saying. its nothing to apologize about <3

I hate using the grammar for "s" when and where to use it >< always confused me! LOL =x someone please open a tbt grammar class xD

nah not really. i mean if people misspell words more frequently then others it is kinda bothersome, but i understand that everybody has different native languages so i don't really judge per se.

Back