MageFace

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Small Mailbox
So I've run into an issue with this. Some boards consider posting in a thread that has a last post of more then a month old as "necroing a thread", aka reviving a dead thread. But I've come across some boards that considers a thread being necro'd if it's not on the first 3 to 5 pages of a forum. Some boards use both last post and how buried it was to judge when a thread should die.
I looked in the rules but didn't see an exact definition for this, and since some threads on page 1 of the forums have a last post as months old I'd like to know what stick TBT uses to measure thread death? Basically if I need to check last post date?

So I've run into an issue with this. Some boards consider posting in a thread that has a last post of more then a month old as "necroing a thread", aka reviving a dead thread. But I've come across some boards that considers a thread being necro'd if it's not on the first 3 to 5 pages of a forum. Some boards use both last post and how buried it was to judge when a thread should die.
I looked in the rules but didn't see an exact definition for this, and since some threads on page 1 of the forums have a last post as months old I'd like to know what stick TBT uses to measure thread death? Basically if I need to check last post date?

The term "bumping" is much more common here. And I think that you're advised to not bump anything more than 2 weeks old.

Last edited:
If the topic is not relevant any more because of how old it is or if the thread is purposely bumped from the dead. There's not any set amount of days.

If it's last post is over three months old then it would be considered necroing. We do have exceptions though.

If it's a discussion thread you can post with something relevant to the topic and you won't get in trouble for it. Just don't dig up any threads from like 2005, that will get you in trouble. =p

If it's last post is over three months old then it would be considered necroing. We do have exceptions though.

If it's a discussion thread you can post with something relevant to the topic and you won't get in trouble for it. Just don't dig up any threads from like 2005, that will get you in trouble. =p

Ha. I saw a guy bumping an ancient thread from 2005. I instantly reported him :p

I never understood this, but why is necroing bad? If a topic exists already regardless of age, in most cases it is better to necro an existing thread than to make a new one.

Last edited:
I never understood this, but why is necroing bad? If a topic exists already regardless of age, in most cases it is better to necro an existing thread than to make a new one.

Not necessarily.

It's sort of like pruning. If an old topic was pretty lengthy and died out a new one should be made so the first one doesn't get overwhelmingly large and difficult to navigate through. A lot of threads go through this process eventually. But in terms of shorter threads being bumped back up from being long dead, it's just easier to make a new one than having to dig through the almost ten years worth of history this site has looking for the original one.

Back