• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Backseat modding

and i doubt they'd find it pleasing when they get spammed with 20 replies in their thread from helpful forum users telling them that they did it wrong, too.
literally, if i joined a forum and posted in the wrong board i'd much rather get told by a mod that my thread was in the wrong spot than a random member, because it honestly just looks like they're being a try hard.

like is it really that hard not to post and just hit the report button???? the mods know what theyre doing, so leave it to them.

But they wont get 20 replies on their thread because, unlike with PM's, forum users will see that others already informed them or at least made contact.

Last edited:
Here is the deal, we know you are trying to help. That's great. That's why we don't give an infraction for mini-modding but instead a warning. However, we want and need people to be using the Report button. If we let everyone mini-mod without repercussions the report button would be obsolete. Mods would have nothing to do but try to find the threads and posts that need dealing with on their own. With over 100+ people making posts and threads everyday we cannot scan everything by ourselves. That's why we like it when members use the report button -- because it calls our attention to problematic posts/threads (signatures too). If you see something in the wrong area or something that doesn't follow the rules you need to report it.

I can't stop you from PMing them but all I ask is that threads/post that need moved/removed be reported.

Also some back seat mods are very condescending, and act like know it alls, to newish members

I've gotten one warning for mini modding....I think it was because someone posted in the wrong place.
Most of my warnings are from Jojo incidents....>_>

I've received warnings for mini-modding before.. When people do something wrong, I like to tell them how to fix it so they don't get in trouble with the mods..

However it's always me who gets in trouble for doing the mini-modding.. Hence, I've given up giving people advice and I just report them and move on

Basically this. Just report it and move on with your business.

Last edited:
The moderators need to get over it. If they don't want our help, then don't help them. We're only trying to help the members so they don't consistently break the rules. Maybe they can fix the problem faster before a moderator sees it. The rules are way too strict here. Don't even report them and let the moderators look on their own. It's their own damn problem if they get pissed off. We get infractions for the littlest things here.

The moderators need to get over it. If they don't want our help, then don't help them. We're only trying to help the members so they don't consistently break the rules. Maybe they can fix the problem faster before a moderator sees it. The rules are way too strict here. Don't even report them and let the moderators look on their own. It's their own damn problem if they get pissed off. We get infractions for the littlest things here.

Or maybe you need to get over the fact that you're not a mod, don't have authority, so don't need to backseat mod, bye.
If you don't like it you're the one who has to deal with it, not the mods.

Did you not read Kaiaa's nice and detailed post?

Here is the deal, we know you are trying to help. That's great. That's why we don't give an infraction for mini-modding but instead a warning. However, we want and need people to be using the Report button. If we let everyone mini-mod without repercussions the report button would be obsolete. Mods would have nothing to do but try to find the threads and posts that need dealing with on their own. With over 100+ people making posts and threads everyday we cannot scan everything by ourselves. That's why we like it when members use the report button -- because it calls our attention to problematic posts/threads (signatures too). If you see something in the wrong area or something that doesn't follow the rules you need to report it.

I can't stop you from PMing them but all I ask is that threads/post that need moved/removed be reported.

It's not a regular members duty to do a moderators job, because they don't have the authority to use any kind of means of discipline, only their words. Not to mention that these mini-modders can be harsh towards newer people who may not have a full grip of the rules for this forum. That's where the magical things known as a report button comes in handy! So that regular members can bring to attention those who are assigned to carry out those responsibilities.

Giz,

We still want to try and follow the golden rule, IMHO. It's what makes this site great and sets it a part from other sites. For the most part, posters here have a measure of respect for each other ;-)

Last edited:
While we do understand that you are just trying to help, most of the time the advice given out causes people to make duplicate threads in the correct place. The mini-modding we see all the time is something along the lines of "This belongs in _____" / "You should have posted this here ______ :) "

When you do stuff like that it almost always causes people to correct their mistake while in itself is good, but now, there are two copies of a thread and one has to be deleted because it's now spam. Instead of telling them where their thread belongs, it's so much better to report it because a Mod will move it and let the person know that the thread was moved to the correct place. This saves time, keeps the forum nice and tidy, and no one get's in trouble.

This.

This is the reason I got warned for Mini-modding. I completely understand why Mods don't want people doing that. I always just give a friendly reminder and tell them to report the thread to the mod for a thread move and also give them a something for further reference ^~^

At least someone here understands my point. Forum staff can keep saying "just report it", but at the same time the forum rules threaten to take actions against your account if you make unnecessary reports.

It's not a regular members duty to do a moderators job, because they don't have the authority to use any kind of means of discipline, only their words.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need a special title or special powers in order to become eligable to help someone. When someone asks me for the road I don't go "that's not my job, ask the police". Perhaps that's not how you would react but it's called: Generosity.

Last edited:
At least someone here understands my point. Forum staff can keep saying "just report it", but at the same time the forum rules threaten to take actions against your account if you make unnecessary reports.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need a special title or special powers in order to become eligable to help someone. When someone asks me for the road I don't go "that's not my job, ask the police". Perhaps that's not how you would react but it's called: Generosity.

Tbh standards you would use in real life dont always become applicable on a forum :x
And most of the time they aren't helping them, a lot want to earn little brownie points to the mods, its helpful if someone just goes "btw this would be better here :)" instead you get multiple replies of people saying the thread is stupid, or just moaning at the person

Or maybe you need to get over the fact that you're not a mod, don't have authority, so don't need to backseat mod, bye.
If you don't like it you're the one who has to deal with it, not the mods.

This has nothing to do with what I said. The rules are strict and you know it. I never said that I was a moderator. Everyone has authority here, even people like you.

This has nothing to do with what I said. The rules are strict and you know it. I never said that I was a moderator. Everyone has authority here, even people like you.

Tbh the rules aren't that strict especially compared to other animal crossing forums imo :p

Back