• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Villager Moving Rumors (guide)

aetherene

Ethereal Queen
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Jack
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
Blue Mote of Flame
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Pink Feather
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Pokéball
October Birthstone (Opal)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
I've seen way too many people become victims of villagers moving out without warning even though many say they talk to their villagers everyday for rumors of people leaving or no pings at all.

Well, I'm going to teach you my way of dealing with moving rumors and how I've never lost a villager. I pretty much noticed this when I have attempted to cycle a few villagers out of my town and it works pretty dang well. It may take some time due to spamming your villagers with conversations.

• Overview
    This is a pretty simple, but it can take a little while with a lot of harassment to villagers. In your town, there are different kinds of rumors that villagers can tell. There are moving rumors, villager rumors, and the consequences of rumors.

---
  • Moving Rumors
    You hear these rumors from villagers if someone is thinking of moving.

This is self-explanatory. This is what everyone looks for to stop their dreamies from moving. These usually show up about every three to four days. In my small experience with cycling, every four days is a better chance than three days.

---
  • Villager Rumors/Consequences of Rumors
    When no one has no intention of moving, villagers will talk about these. (These are taken from the AC wikia, with the Peppy one added by me since it was missing.)

-Cranky villagers will state that rumors can be frightening.
    -Jock villagers may ask to spread rumors about their latest world record, or complain that others say that they are a prince from another planet.
    -Normal villagers will comment that they will only spread rumors they have seen themselves.
    -Smug villagers may remark that they have done things with other villagers, but refuse to elaborate on the details.
    -Snooty villagers will use fabricated examples to show the player that simple rumors can spread very quickly.
    -Uchi villagers will complain that rumors are circulating that they are known for one sport, when it is in fact another.
    -Peppy villagers will ask the player for any gossip, think you are keeping something secret, and ask for you to spread the details.

I repeat. WHEN NO ONE IS MOVING, VILLAGERS WILL TALK ABOUT THE ABOVE RUMORS.

---
  • What to do
    Every day when you load up the game, talk to your villagers. Talk to them until you either get the village rumors (depending on the personality type) or rumors of someone leaving.

TALK TO MORE THAN ONE VILLAGER.

If you hear village rumors from one villager, move on to another villager. This is to prove that there is no one moving.

In my town, the Cranky villagers are the biggest gossips and almost always tell me when someone is gonna move. I have two in my town. So when doing this method, I talked to Gaston. He gave me a village rumor and I thought all was good. Well, when I talked to another villager (Deirdre, I think), she told me Gaston was thinking of moving.

Therefore, you need to hear village rumors from more than one villager in order to be safe that no one is for sure moving. I've found that it is easier to get moving rumors out of villagers than village ones, but you still need to harass them until you've learned for sure that no one is thinking of moving.

Hopefully this guide makes enough sense and will prevent anyone from losing any more dreamies. I commonly talk about this method in threads, but I thought it would be time to actually make a small guide so that people can see it all together.

I think each town got a different gossip-er~ My town biggest gossip spreader is my peppy. My reliable information come from them~

Last edited:
I harass quite a bit of my villagers but my Crankies and my Uchi are the biggest gossips. But to be safe, I harass everyone for village rumors.

Before knowing about village rumors =/= no movers, I would suffer long periods of talking to villagers only to get village rumors and no moving ones. That's how in my experience, four days is better than three days to get someone to think about moving.

Giving this a shot while I'm cycling; seems really useful, thanks for putting it together! :)

Thank you for putting this together. Quite helpful and I will be using these tips ;)

Whoa, thank you SO much!!! I didn't know that, this is going to save me SO MUCH TIME, OH MY GOD. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Seriously I wish I'd known this ages ago I had no idea there was a correlation ;; oh god thank you <3333

I'm bumping this, I've started to use it and it is great!

this is a great guide! I refer back to this guide multiple times! Thank you!

I need something confirmed on this subject:

Is it possible for villagers that are about to move to be in their houses? If not, could I just talk to one villager that is currently inside until I hear one of these rumors and be sure that the one I heard it from is not about to move?

If this is the case, I would save so much time.

Last edited:
My normal and uchi gossip A LOT and they are the two I go to in my cycling town, since I use the "ignore" method to cycle villagers out :) but this guide is very helpful, thank you!

I need something confirmed on this subject:

Is it possible for villagers that are about to move to be in their houses? If not, could I just talk to one villager that is currently inside until I hear one of these rumors and be sure that the one I heard it from is not about to move?

If this is the case, I would save so much time.

Yeeeeeees. Always. ALWAYS CHECK. Those *******s will be sitting in their houses or off in the museum like it's no big deal. Always. Check.

And again bless you for this guide, it's helped immensely.

Can I assume that the latest villager who moved in is immune to moving out (i.e. talking to that villager alone will reveal who is moving)?

Also, if there is a new villager plot or someone who just moved in (in boxes), does that mean there will be no rumours of move-outs too?

Last edited:
Can I assume that the latest villager who moved in is immune to moving out (i.e. talking to that villager alone will reveal who is moving)?

Also, if there is a new villager plot or someone who just moved in (in boxes), does that mean there will be no rumours of move-outs too?

in my case, i'm guessing this is true - however, others have told me, that their last will ask to move out frequently or the day after they've settled in. i wouldn't risk it until you've got a good feel of your town.

Great guide, before, I would keep track of the average number of days it takes for the next villager to move out after the previous one has asked and been denied. I'm doing this right now because I have an unwanted guest...
I'll share my own info/research/whatever you call it:
1) It takes 3-5 days before the next villager wants to move out.
2) Silent movers tend to be villagers that are ignored.
3) if creating a new character to get rid of villager, be sure to get through all that instructional/introductory stuff that villagers will tell you when you first move in, after that, the moving prompt will be started, the first villager will ping to move out as early as 2 days
4) villagers that want to move out will always be wandering through town, they will not be in shops or houses

Last edited:
Thank you for this ... Totally cleared up a lot of questions I had and made it all fit together! LOL

Another question: usually how often do villagers want to move out? I had Fang ping me yesterday and Poppy doing the same today. It can't possibly be everyday right?! o_O

Back