• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Villager Moving Rumors (guide)

Bump. INCREDIBLY HELPFUL GUIDE.

Why isn't there a rumor category for lazy villagers btw?

Last edited:
Bump. INCREDIBLY HELPFUL GUIDE.

Why isn't there a rumor category for lazy villagers btw?

Lazy villagers will mention that they accidentally bought an extra item, but now there's a rumor going around that they have a world-famous collection of that item :)

Bump, do normal villagers say that it's best not to spread a rumor until you look into it yourself?

Yes, that's their phrase when no one is moving! It's nice because it's one of the shortest ones too. :)

I think that's the only rumor they got that indicates if someone is not moving. Lazy villagers and Uchis, for example, have two different rumors that mean the same thing.

I always talk to my villagers before I close the game. When they begin to talk about rumors I know nobody leaves.

Not very accurate at all.

It says villagers talk about rumors when nobody is thinking of moving..
My villagers talked about rumors all day, then Wolfgang pinged to move.

I don't explicitly look for rumors, they just pop up or the villager wanting to move pings me and asks. I might have to keep a better eye on them now though...

just gonna bump this again because I have a question:

today, a cranky, lazy, and a normal all told me that they heard a rumor about me, that I'm a social butterfly. Does that mean someone is thinking about moving out?

- - - Post Merge - - -

just gonna bump this again because I have a question:

today, a cranky, lazy, and a normal all told me that they heard a rumor about me, that I'm a social butterfly. Does that mean someone is thinking about moving out?

Rumors about your human characters do not indicate whether someone is moving or not. There may or may not be someone thinking about moving.
Keep trying until the normal says "it's better to look into a rumor before you spread it" or the others say any of the phrases on the OP. :)

Rumors about your human characters do not indicate whether someone is moving or not. There may or may not be someone thinking about moving.
Keep trying until the normal says "it's better to look into a rumor before you spread it" or the others say any of the phrases on the OP. :)

ok, thank you! :)

I've heard the basic rumor talk from villagers (rumors are scary from cranky types for example), then had a villager ping to move the same day.

Last edited:
I've heard the basic rumor talk from villagers (rumors are scary from cranky types for example), then had a villager ping to move the same day, so the rumor theory/info is incorrect.

Was the villager who told you the rumor the same one that pinged? Because they mislead you by pretending no one is moving when they are themselves.
If two different villagers tell you their respective rumors, then it's 100% safe. :)

I've heard the basic rumor talk from villagers (rumors are scary from cranky types for example), then had a villager ping to move the same day, so the rumor theory/info is incorrect.

Ya ok :/ I've been using this for 4+ years and it's never failed me so say what you will about it but it always works

Last edited:
great guide! my biggest gossiper is probably my cranky :)

excellent guide except for one thing: what do lazies say in the OP?

It seems like they missed that personality's rumors. I already know 2 which are "I got a (item name) but now everyone's saying that I have a whole collection." and "Did you know (villager name) had ticklish feet?"

unless you have a town full of lazies, this probably isn't going to affect people much. I just wanted to point that out in case they wanted to know.

Do snooty villagers say that 'rumors can be vicious' when nobody is thinking of moving?

Back