• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia Official TBT Mafia General Thread - Game Types/Bans/Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question regarding mini mafias: Does the co-host have to be an experienced player that's hosted before or can both co-hosts be completely new to hosting?

Hadn't even thought of it, that's a really good point. I feel like it would be a good idea if the co-host had to be someone who's hosted before but up for discussion.

I was thinking of doing a partner based mafia kind of thing, but would that go under experimental instead of mini? It could probably be around ~20 players so. I know Oath's game is also kind of experimental so ? Can main/mini games still be a unique set up?

Also, now that we have a banlist do all bans in the past count or is everyone getting a clean state?

I was thinking of doing a partner based mafia kind of thing, but would that go under experimental instead of mini? It could probably be around ~20 players so. I know Oath's game is also kind of experimental so ? Can main/mini games still be a unique set up?

Also, now that we have a banlist do all bans in the past count or is everyone getting a clean state?

It's fine to have experimental games in the normal queues as long as you warn people what they're getting into. Nothing is changing in that regard. We're just saying that you can still have unofficial weird games with 15 players and under outside of the queue if you want to since the queue doesn't really support those anyway. If that makes sense?

There aren't currently any actual official bans really. The "bans" are personal bans chosen by hosts which are always welcome to ban whoever they want if they please. So I suppose it will be up to the community in regard to past dramas?

So if rudeness would be grounds for possible banning, please also consider image spam grounds for game banning as well. Feloreena was hosting a great game and then people had to spam it into oblivion + mods had to pop in more than once. The general attitude of some players has deteriorated so much and I feel like they feel invincible if they're "veterans" of mafia.

Great job with the possible changes guys! I also agree with Minties. I also think that people should get a clean slate and bans can be given if people slip up. Hopefully these changes will make people aware of the consequences resulting in better games. :)

Some of the changes we're considering are below. Not all of these are completely finalized and will make it through as they're in flux still. We're posting them here to give everyone a chance to give their feedback on them before we push full steam ahead.

• The quality of the official games has dipped in comparison to the original games, so we're tightening up the hosting requirements to ensure better games for everyone to play:
    • Main series games can only be hosted by hosts who have proven themselves to be successful hosts in the past, as determined by staff.
    • Mini series games require co-hosts unless they have proven themselves to be successful hosts in the past, as determined by staff.
    • Nub games do NOT count towards game played requirements.
    • Basically, we want the Main games to be the cream of the crop from the best hosts. New and less experienced hosts should focus their efforts on learning with a Mini. Of course experienced hosts are more than welcome to host Minis as well.
    • It's understandable if you're upset by this from the perspective of wanting to host a game. However, the fact is it's most important that the players get the best games possible to play. We want to raise the overall quality of the games, if some are unable to host due to it, so be it.
  • Mafia board-wide bans implemented:
    • All official games follow the bans.
    • Bans are automatically associated with mod kills. Players can appeal to the staff to potentially remove the ban if they feel the mod kill was not fair.
    • Bans can also be set for out-of-game matters unassociated to mod kills by staff. Example: Playing after death.
    • Switch to time based bans, rather than game based bans. We're planning to use 2 weeks as a baseline.
  • Unofficial games over 15 players in size are now prohibited and will be locked/deleted. Unofficial games 15 players and under are welcome as their purpose isn't served under the official system. Ideal games would include experiments such as Cell Mafia or small games such as Tom's I'm Cop You Idiot game.
  • Harsher moderation towards poor attitude, rudeness, and personal attacks in Mafia. In the form of forum infractions and suspensions, as well as Mafia bans. More on this soon.
  • Renaming of Newbie Mafia to Nub Mafia :)

Please note that none of this is taking effect at this time. This is simply an overview of our current plans and thoughts. Please share your opinions in here or by PM to me if you wish and I will share it with the rest of the staff to consider changes.
How will continous replacements be handled? IE signing up for games but asking for replacements often? Will that be dealt with using bans? And will modkills for issues like death of family result in the bad automatically?

I do like time based bans, but 2 weeks seems a little short when we have main games that last that long and a few minis that run that run at least a week. Maybe 3 week?

Really excited about the attitude moderation, very unnerving to put up with. I get that certain users post style may be grating, but that isn't basis for attacks. :/

There aren't currently any actual official bans really. The "bans" are personal bans chosen by hosts which are always welcome to ban whoever they want if they please. So I suppose it will be up to the community in regard to past dramas?
I think when the new ban system goes into place, we should definitely give everyone a clean slate.

So if rudeness would be grounds for possible banning, please also consider image spam grounds for game banning as well. Feloreena was hosting a great game and then people had to spam it into oblivion + mods had to pop in more than once. The general attitude of some players has deteriorated so much and I feel like they feel invincible if they're "veterans" of mafia.
Definitely backing the image spam, at the very least require images to go into spoilers so we don't have to deal with it.

Are you planning on implementing these some time soon? The mafia I've been writing for months now is tooled as a main mafia and I was planning on hosting with an experienced co-host. I'll be applying as soon as I see an open spot after my account rolls over to the its fourth month.

Should I retool and re-balance it? Augh. Not that I don't welcome the changes, but this is a bit of a butt kicker for me.

Oh well.

So, the legend of korra one is cancelled?

Yes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

How will continous replacements be handled? IE signing up for games but asking for replacements often? Will that be dealt with using bans? And will modkills for issues like death of family result in the bad automatically?

I do like time based bans, but 2 weeks seems a little short when we have main games that last that long and a few minis that run that run at least a week. Maybe 3 week?

I want to add that replacements imo shouldn't be given unless it is an extreme circumstance. If you're going to sign up, then play. If someone wants a replacement without a good reason I think they should be banned. Also 2 weeks is a bit short. I'd agree with Tom and do at least a 3 week minimum.

Another minor thing we discussed, but Justin didn't include, was stickying all official games. This would include the Newbie games, but we were also talking about not stickying the voting threads because it's too cluttered with them.

2 weeks isn't the length of the ban. 2 weeks = 1 game is the formula we're considering using to determine the length of the ban. Recent minis have run approx 10 days, and main games 11-14 days.

Due to mains and minis running at the same time, a 4-week ban could potentially prevent a player from participating in five games (e.g. two mains + three minis).

Last edited:
I agree with this 100%. It got sickening seeing all of the spam in Fel's great mafia game, so it made it extremely difficult to read up on everything that was going on. I was reluctant to read back on posts because I was constantly thinking about how I didn't want to have to search for the good posts among the pointless posts.

Not sure about the whole new hosting guidelines thing. How will the staff be able to tell if a host is good enough on their own if there's an experienced player there too? I can mostly imagine that the inexperienced host is "leaning" on the experienced one too much so they're not doing much to help out.

If the experienced host is there to give advice and support if needed, then I'd agree a bit more, but it's very easy for someone to take over. I know that games in pairs have been hosted several times before, but usually it's because they both chose to or because they felt that they wanted/needed help (as it wasn't a requirement before).

Last edited:
Regarding replacements, I would like to treat requesting a replacement the same as an inactivity mod kill. Sure you're being more responsible about it, but it's still a pain for everyone and is irresponsible in the first place since you shouldn't sign up anyway then! The only issue is that there are sometimes legitimate reasons to leave a game as Tom mentioned. Not sure how to go about that.

Yes, we'd like to address that as well.

Are you planning on implementing these some time soon? The mafia I've been writing for months now is tooled as a main mafia and I was planning on hosting with an experienced co-host. I'll be applying as soon as I see an open spot after my account rolls over to the its fourth month.

Should I retool and re-balance it? Augh. Not that I don't welcome the changes, but this is a bit of a butt kicker for me.

Oh well.

We'd like to implement them next week. Not sure yet if we will mess with the current queue, or let them slide and only apply to new signups. Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Anyway, yes you would have to host a Mini first. Sorry if it's a pain.

Not sure about the whole new hosting guidelines thing. How will the staff be able to tell if a host is good enough on their own if there's an experienced player there too? I can mostly imagine that the inexperienced host is "leaning" on the experienced one too much so they're not doing much to help out.

If the experienced host is there to give advice and support if needed, then I'd agree a bit more, but it's very easy for someone to take over. I know that games in pairs have been hosted several times before, but usually it's because they both chose to or because they felt that they wanted/needed help (as it wasn't a requirement before).

Generally, co-host will only be required for their first game, but the wording is left ambiguous because in certain situations if a game went poorly we might require it for more than one game. But their game goes fine, we won't mind them going solo after one game. Does that make sense?

Generally, co-host will only be required for their first game, but the wording is left ambiguous because in certain situations if a game went poorly we might require it for more than one game. But their game goes fine, we won't mind them going solo after one game. Does that make sense?
Yeah, that makes better sense. Thanks!

Does the new rules mean I won't be able to do my mafia at all :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back