Mafia Official TBT Mafia General Thread - Game Types/Bans/Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what is the need for unofficial? It defeats the object of a queue? We made the queue to keep order! Allowing unofficial games would disrupt the order that was created, unofficial games are no different to official games.

Good point, but having a specific number a year (6 {one every two months} or 4 {once every 3 months})
Can keep it in order. And these can be experimental or practice for people who want to host a mafia game.

Good point, but having a specific number a year (6 {one every two months} or 4 {once every 3 months})
Can keep it in order. And these can be experimental or practice for people who want to host a mafia game.

Having a specific number beats the point of making it unofficial.

It's a vicious circle.

"Official game"

People then don't want to wait for their game thus create "unofficial" what then? When people don't want to wait for the "unofficial"? "Ununoffical"?

It's only because I feel as if it's a little bit much to say that you're not allowed to post any mafia game without being part of our official system. The alternative to it is to literally just delete any mafia game that isn't part of the queue, which I think most would agree is going too far. Instead, I'd rather just heavily incentivize waiting in the queue and playing official game with benefits . Such as placement in The Cellar, inclusion in history thread, enforced ban list, etc.

Does that make sense?

When I think unofficial I think "I'm a cop you idiot" and extremely experimental setups personally.

That's a reasonable use to me. But from what I've seen/heard, it seems most are simply interested in jumping the queue or getting around host requirements. Requirements which are already loose and should be increased.

It's only because I feel as if it's a little bit much to say that you're not allowed to post any mafia game without being part of our official system. The alternative to it is to literally just delete any mafia game that isn't part of the queue, which I think most would agree is going too far. Instead, I'd rather just heavily incentivize waiting in the queue and playing official game with benefits . Such as placement in The Cellar, inclusion in history thread, enforced ban list, etc.

Does that make sense?

I'd be fine with all that just as long as it doesn't make people that are hosting official games have to wait longer. That really doesn't seem fair :/

Tbh I feel like unofficial games should only be mini minis or weird set ups y'know? Like others have said, it defeats the point of having official games if they're the same.

Though if you guys do allow unofficial games I would agree with not having a banlist or being in the history. Though I would still add them to the wiki because hey it was still a tbt mafia game.

Also uhh, since XCOM is over is a hosting spot now open for main mafia?

We really don't want an age limit. Potential players would be put off by the age limit, and doing that is effectively making this board a __+ board.

Sataric's idea of banned players not doing anything sounds good. In my Frozen game, some people were going into scum chat after death and messing about in the thread and obs.

I propose we have a small break from mafia (2 weeks?). Just because, then everyone can relax and when we play again, I think it will be much more orderly because we haven't played a giant run of 16 mafias before that.

Unofficial games sound pointless. There are games already going on! Why would you want another game? Hosts of unofficial games must be impatient and lazy.

Last edited:
Maybe we can wait for all of the queue games to finish, no allow any more new ones, ans take a break?

Oath and Tina are postponing their games until the ban list is set up. It'll all be sorted.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly I would rather a queue anyway if that's why people are hosting "unofficial" games, I found it gave me time to create my game. Obviously I like things done before hand but there will do it off the bat on the day.

I have to agree that the whole 'unofficial' thing is a bit pointless.
The queue gives the preparation time for the host to clean anything up before the game begins, as well as the Cellar not being overrun by countless mafia games. People would bite off more than they could chew (joining more games than they can handle or have time for), increasing the number of inactive players in a game. I don't think it's fair on the 'official' hosts for other people to have a fast pass through the requirements and the queue.

On the other hand, I also think it'd be good to experiment with. If, like Justin said, there are certain things that are only allowed in 'official' mafia, then the whole idea would be a lot fairer. However, they would have to be larger things that would encourage a host to want to take the 'official' route over the fast track. Maybe they could only be allowed micro/mini games with a small number of people (smaller than mini mafia).

The mafia board has enough games going on at once as it is, with newbie, main and mini mafia. I guess there's no harm done in testing it out first though.

Is newbie mafia official or not? If yes, shouldn't it be stickied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back