Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

What are the "villager cycle" and "void"? I have been hearing them a lot, but don't know what they are.

It used to be that when a villager moved out, if you wanted that villager back, you had to move 16 other villagers out of your village until the game "forgot" you had that original villager and let you bring them back. Before you did that "16 villager cycle," you couldn't ask that villager to move into your village. If someone had them in boxes and you talked to them, they would never bring up moving to your town because it wasn't possible. With the update and card amiibo, you can now bring that villager back when you want.

The void is where a villager goes if you let them move out and nobody comes to pick them up. They just disappear from your village and are in your "void," where they can sometimes force themselves on someone who visits your town. If someone visits and has less than 10 villagers, that voided villager has a chance of showing up as a new move-in in their town soon after they visit. It's said that you can clear your void by visiting a town with 10 visitors, since the animal tries to attach itself to that town and can't. This may or may not always work.

Last edited:
I just scanned my first card, and the guy didn't go to the campground. My only options were "move here" and "give me something." How do I get a regular villager in an RV?

If a villager wants to move and you stop them, can you then TT back to date without anyone moving? Never done this before, and I'm worried about villagers moving.

If a villager wants to move and you stop them, can you then TT back to date without anyone moving? Never done this before, and I'm worried about villagers moving.

I've seen many people saying that it should be possible yeah but I've never actually tried myself so I can't confirm.

Yep! Once you've stopped a villager from moving, you can time travel back or forward as far as you'd like without anyone moving out. This is because the game doesn't generate a new villager to think about moving until the next time you start up your game.

Do you need to have your paths down BEFORE you ask a campground villager to move in, or do they move in the next day, so you just need to block stuff off before morning?

I can't seem to unlock the Museum 2F on my new town.

I've had the town for 24 days and I've donated 67 things to it:

50 fossils
9 bugs
6 fish
2 works of art

I made a bunch of standee sign designs a long time ago, before I really knew about saving stuff with Mabel. Is there any way for me to get it off my sign and into my tiles listing? Maybe I could grab the design from Wendell in a dream from my other game and then somehow convert it to a usable format? I really wish I had these saved so I could edit them, maybe move the signs and reuse them, etc. without having to try to recreate them.

Last edited:
Back