Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

When a villager is adopted do they return to their original catchphrases or greetings?

No they do not, which is why people will specify whether a villager they're offering for adoption is original or unoriginal. I think you can revert them back to the old catchphrase with the problematic villager dialogue option when talking to Isabelle in the Town Hall. You can also use that to get them to change their shirt if you don't like it (though it doesn't go back to the original, just to some white shirt with red accents) or to get rid of a letter that they own. Alternatively, if you intend to keep the villager for a long time or forever, as you spend more time talking and getting to know them, they'll eventually let you pick their greetings and catchphrases anyway.

I'm trying to get the golden axe for a friend. If I time travel forward one day, then back, and repeat that process, will villagers want to move out?

if i time traveled to move a villager into my town, can i time travel back and theyll still be there?

Time traveling backwards counts as going a day forward, so yes, they'll be there. If on the previous day there was a plot, if you go back one day the whole house will be there already. :)

I'm trying to get the golden axe for a friend. If I time travel forward one day, then back, and repeat that process, will villagers want to move out?

Yes, there's is a high risk. Make sure you speak to everyone in each in game day and find out if anyone's moving so can stop them before you travel forwards of backwards. :)

Also another question, my moving villager said "Yep, but it's a big decision so I have to think it through." Does that mean she's not moving?

Will villagers let you buy unorderable furniture from their houses?
(Mott invited me to his house and told me I could pick anything I wanted, so I chose one of the items from the Sloppy series. He tells me I can't have it. I was wondering if this was due to that I didn't have much money with me, and I also thought it might be because I don't have a high friendship level with him, seeing as he just moved in. But I know that the Sloppy series are unorderables, so could it just be that?)

Also another question, my moving villager said "Yep, but it's a big decision so I have to think it through." Does that mean she's not moving?

Yes, she won't move anymore. If you want a villager who said they're moving to go, after you agree with the moving ping do not talk to them at all until they're in boxes or you'l risk they change their minds.

When a villager is in your campsite, does this decrease the chance of them moving in randomly? I'm asking because Freya is camping, but I already have 10 villagers, so I can't ask her to move into my town.

It doesn't interfere with the chances, but they're already pretty slim to begin with (1 in 700?), so I'd buy her from the villager trading plaza when I had space if I were you.

Will villagers let you buy unorderable furniture from their houses?
(Mott invited me to his house and told me I could pick anything I wanted, so I chose one of the items from the Sloppy series. He tells me I can't have it. I was wondering if this was due to that I didn't have much money with me, and I also thought it might be because I don't have a high friendship level with him, seeing as he just moved in. But I know that the Sloppy series are unorderables, so could it just be that?)

They do let you buy unorderables. Maybe it was the money thing, but there's also the "item they will never part with" that each villager has and they'll never agree to sell it, or so it seems. It can be orderable or not and it depends on the villager. So maybe the sloppy item you tied to buy it's his never part with item. Or was it an item with something on top? Because if so you'd have to make him get rid of the top item before attempting to buy the table/dresses/whatever.

They do let you buy unorderables. Maybe it was the money thing, but there's also the "item they will never part with" that each villager has and they'll never agree to sell it, or so it seems. It can be orderable or not and it depends on the villager. So maybe the sloppy item you tied to buy it's his never part with item. Or was it an item with something on top? Because if so you'd have to make him get rid of the top item before attempting to buy the table/dresses/whatever.
There wasn't anything on top of the item I wanted, so maybe I just need more Bells.

A simple question which would be nice to have a definite answer to for future reference if possible. When actually is the optimal time to catch the rare beetles on the island? :blush:

Kind of a random question but I was catching fish for meow rewards just now and noticed the butterfly fish gives an odd message when u catch it - "as mayor, welcome to my pockets" or something (if it's a pun I don't get it). Anyway I was wondering what it says if you catch it with a character who isn't the mayor. ..I'm too lazy to go try to find another one myself n check. lol

re: the above question ^^^^ I've always found 5pm to be prime time for golden stags on the island but I'm not sure if that's just been a really consistent coincidence or not.

Kind of a random question but I was catching fish for meow rewards just now and noticed the butterfly fish gives an odd message when u catch it - "as mayor, welcome to my pockets" or something (if it's a pun I don't get it). Anyway I was wondering what it says if you catch it with a character who isn't the mayor. ..I'm too lazy to go try to find another one myself n check. lol

If you catch it with any other character, they'll say "I caught a butterfly fish! Keep flying, fishy!". It is, as far as I know, the only creature which message is different depending if the catcher is the mayor or not, for no reason at all.

If you catch it with any other character, they'll say "I caught a butterfly fish! Keep flying, fishy!". It is, as far as I know, the only creature which message is different depending if the catcher is the mayor or not, for no reason at all.

What the heck that's so weird. lol thanks for the answer!! forgot I asked this (it was late )

Okay I've read a few threads, but I'd really like to confirm something.

Today Canberra pinged to move out in 10 days, and I said yes, because I hate where her house is and, well, I just don't much like her. She changed her mind after I said yes and huffed about how she needs to stay so we can work on our friendship. I immediately shut off the game before even closing out of the dialogue, let alone saving. Did I do the thing right? Will she still move out on the 15th, provided I don't talk to her between now and then?

Okay I've read a few threads, but I'd really like to confirm something.

Today Canberra pinged to move out in 10 days, and I said yes, because I hate where her house is and, well, I just don't much like her. She changed her mind after I said yes and huffed about how she needs to stay so we can work on our friendship. I immediately shut off the game before even closing out of the dialogue, let alone saving. Did I do the thing right? Will she still move out on the 15th, provided I don't talk to her between now and then?

You did the right thing, but you MUST go back and talk to her, and when she says she's moving, select the goodbye/farewell option, and if she thanks you and doesn't say "Hey, you're supposed to talk me out of this" or a similar option, then turn off without saving and wait for her to ping again.

Only save if you've talked to her, and she's thanked you for the farewell or similar goodbye.

Do this once a day until she's gone. ^_^

Last edited:
You did the right thing, but you MUST go back and talk to her, and when she says she's moving, select the goodbye/farewell option, and if she thanks you and doesn't say "Hey, you're supposed to talk me out of this" or a similar option, then turn off without saving and wait for her to ping again.

Only save if you've talked to her, and she's thanked you for the farewell or similar goodbye.

Do this once a day until she's gone. ^_^

Ah okay, thanks! I didn't realize I needed her to confirm it. As if she wasn't on my nerves enough already... Guess I'll just keep trying my luck and hope she decides to skedaddle. Good thing she lives uncomfortably close to my character, I won't have to wander far to find her when I start up the game.

Back