• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your Dialect (quiz map)

Least similar: Pittsburgh, Little Rock, Shreveport.
Most similar: Miami, Pembroke Pines, Fort Lauderdale.

Most similar: Rockford, Aurora, Chicago
Least similar: New Orleans, Jersey City, Newark/Paterson

It was pretty accurate! I live near those areas in Illinois.

Last edited:
Most similar: Detroit, Albuquerque, Providence
Least similar: Appalachia, the Pacific Northwest

I grew up in Detroit so it did a good job. Dead giveaway is how we use the term Devil's Night to refer to the day before Halloween, not sure if it's used outside of Michigan.

Most similar were Seattle Honolulu, and Portland/Vancouver. Not surprised about Seattle and Portland/Vancouver, as I live in Canada and those are pretty close (Vancouver is even IN Canada so lol)

Least similar were Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Detroit.

most similar: los angeles, glendale, long beach

least similar: minneapolis/st paul, buffalo, springfield

ig. i kind of grew up in california, so it could be accurate

i've spent most of my life in texas and still live in Texas so you'd think I'd pick up their dialect lol

Last edited:
canvas.png

A lot of those terms in reference to driving I had no clue. I have no word for a lot of those. Funny how it is red over where I live, but that's at the very edge of where it is red. Maybe I wouldn't be so far off moving to much further to the Northeast?

most similar: santa rosa, albuquerque, aurora
least similar: providence, worcester, springfield

wow, i actually live in one of the cities that it said was most similar
cool :D

Most: Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane
Least: Philadelphia, Worcester, Providence
I'm a Canadian who lives in Texas :p

Most: San Jose, Fremont, Corona
Least: Jackson, Montgomery, New Orleans

I live in Arizona, which is pretty close to California, so that seems legit.

I was really careful when I was younger to cultivate a newscaster dialect since my grandma had a (relatively) thick Japanese accent that always gave her trouble. She considered people who spoke in anything other than newscaster to be stupid, and there was no way she was ever going to let me seem stupid...

Oddly enough, I'll slip into a weirdly southernish accent when I'm drunk/tired/laughing hard. Which is weird since I've never been to the south...

Most similar: Aurora, Milwaukee, Rochester
Least similar: Louisville, Little Rock, Chattanooga

Back