Your Dialect (quiz map)

What's the record for longest thread inactivity before a bump on this site? This thread somehow got defrosted after 3 years of being dead...

Last edited:
Most similar: Philadelphia, Newark/Paterson, Yonkers
Least similar: Detroit, Arkon, Des Moines

Funny, I'm from Philadelphia, so it knew :)
But we have very specific dialects, like a long roll with lettuce/tomato/meat is a hoagie over here, day before halloween is known as Mischief night, and we address multiple people as "Yous"

I got Portland / Vancouver, Seattle, and Reno as the most similar, which is weird because I live near Minneapolis, although there is a dark spot on the map around Minneapolis. I guess the city is kind of West Coast culturally even if it's not West Coast weather-wise. But it gets Midwestern pretty quickly outside the cities. The least similar are Jackson, MS, New Orleans, and Philly. Which makes sense because I speak nothing like a southerner, but I think Boston has a stranger accent than Philly.

Most similar: Yonkers, Newark/Paterson, New York
Least similar: Spokane, Salt Lake City, Boise

I'm non-American so I don't know what I was expecting haha. Most of my answers were "least similar" to the whole of America. Especially the pronunciation questions, probably because I was hearing it in a thick New Zealander accent lol. You guys seem to have really specific names for some things, like the whole kitty-walk question. I have never heard that in my entire life xD It's interesting to see the difference in terms, even though we all speak English xD

most: lincoln, santa ana/irvine, oceanside (idk where these places are besides the 2 in cali lol)
least: houston, baton rouge, new orleans

most: oceanside, santa rosa, reno.
least: philadelphia, new orleans, jackson.

i grew up in colorado. idunno.

my most similar were 3 Florida cities; i notice the similar coloration also ran through parts of arizona, new mexico, colorado, maryland, and upstate new york (the latter makes the least sense to me of these).

my 3 least similar were cities in texas, oklahoma, and minnesota.

i figured it would guess florida, as the question about big cats had panther as an answer; we have panthers in Florida of course but i dont think theyre called that anywhere else in the country.

did it occur to anyone that the quiz site may simply assign your most similar in part based on where your internet connection to the site is coming from??

New York, Yonkers, Jersey city but most of the time I wasn't close to any places. (Probably because I'm not America and English is not my native language)

Least similar: Detroit, New Orleans, Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
it got the city i live in LOL
south texas but also honolulu who knew

Most: Los Angeles, Glendale, San Jose
Least: New Orleans, Detroit, Toldeo
Hmm. Interesting

I talk like I live in North Carolina, which is funny because I live in South Carolina.

Well I'm british, so I had no idea what I was expecting.
Most: Jersey city, Philadelphia and Yonkers.
Least: Tulsa, Shreveport and Armarillo.

I'm not even a native English speaker but was curious!
Most similar - Jersey City, Providence, Newark/Paterson
Least similar - Louisville, Little Rock, Pittsburgh

Eee...

apparently I'm from California

Fresno, Bakersfield, and Corona

and not from Minnesota or Louisiana

Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Baton Rouge, and

Last edited:
Most Similar: New York, Jersey City and Yonkers.
Least Similar: Detroit, Toledo and Akron.
The rest are blue lmao. (Fellow Brit here.)

Last edited:
Back