Legend of Zelda General Discussion

Yep, I'm convinced BOTW is a Wind Waker prequel. I've said a few of these things on other threads but I'll wrap it all up here with a few new tings I noticed.

Let's get the easy stuff out of the way first (there are Wind Waker spoilers).
-Cell-shaded artstyle
-Both wear a blue tunic with white designs, also hatless
-Koroks are in both games
-Both games allow you to collect materials from monsters
-Both games won't let you access areas that are too hot/cold unless you do something specific
-Both games are the only games in the series that let you use weapons normally carried by enemies
-Both games have 2 guides, a "mysterious voice" (in WW it was King Daphnes through the Pirate's Charm) and an old man that's actively there to guide and sometimes give Link items (also the King in Wind Waker but this is more of his boat form. It's not as concrete as BOTW but let me try to connect them if I want to.)
-Both games have optional bosses in the overworld (the Big Octos in WW, and Steppe Talus in BOTW.)
-THE OLD MAN SURE LOOKS A LOT LIKE KING DAPHNES JUST SAYIN
Now for the interesting part, connecting these to the timeline.
Well, this Hyrule is the one underneath the sea in Wind Waker (also the one seen in Ocarina of Time). Koroks and potentially King Daphnes are there. The Temple of Time is there, but ruined after however many hundreds of years.

"But Ganon is sealed away after OoT, and isn't released until right before WW!" Yes Ganon does return, but not normally. He's the fog around Hyrule Castle. Say hi, he's been going through some hard times.
800px-BotW_Calamity_Ganon_Trapped_in_Hyrule_Castle.png

So even though Ganon wasn't actually released, part of his dark power or w.e. is getting through the sages' weakened barrier. So possibly the final boss isn't Ganon, but whoever is trying to free him?

"But Hyrule is flooded before Wind Waker, how could it be the same?" Well, time to brush up on some history. Take out your textbooks, because teacher Zelda is here to give you some Hyrule Historia.
4cm335D.gif

(Never thought this would be used with any actual context) The Great Flood happened hundreds of years before Wind Waker. Hundreds. BOTW Link was asleep for 100 years. The game could have taken place multiple times between OoT and WW. It may have even been thousands of years between OoT and WW, since the legend of OoT Link is a, well, legend, and they messed up a few of their facts. (Boys put on the hero's clothes at 12?? OoT Link was younger than that before the Master Sword's insta-puberty-skip time warp happened, 10 iirc.)

Now to link their similar fashion. This was my big "aha!" moment today. Here's a quick side-to-side look.
8DdH2gZ.jpg

The blue is almost the same (going to blame lighting differences and the fact that 1 is a game model and the other is artwork). No hat. White designs on their tunic. Hm... I'm going to remind people of Wind Waker's second quest, where he was given the "Hero's New Clothes" that were just invisible and worn over his pajamas. I thought this was a reference to "you beat the game, so you're the new hero so these are the clothes the hero should wear now" but what if BOTW Link is the New Hero they used this design with? They weren't exactly spot-on with OoT Link, so they were probably a bit off with this outfit as well, hence the different design and orange pants. Also if OoT Link was the old hero and BOTW Link is the new hero then, yep, that puts BOTW right between OoT and Wind Waker yet again!

Finally the Koroks. Well let's just do a quick check on what the Koroks are.

So after OoT, they got tired of standing in 1 place in a forest for all eternity like any other NPC so they tried flying and it worked out. Cool. So they probably changed while Link was sleeping for those 100 years. What's strange is how they look identical to the Koroks in WW, just like the old man looks like King Daphnes.
SPu91qm.png

(There's 3 other koroks shown in BOTW and they also have twins in WW, I'm just showing this 1). Same leaf shape, same body shape, same color, EVEN THE EYE AND MOUTH PATTERN ON THE LEAF ARE THE SAME.
And after all of that typing, there's 1 other option that wasted this 90 minutes of typing and searching pictures and finding that 1 gif deep in some random folder (I COULDN'T RESIST USING IT).
BOTW could be A FOURTH TIMELINE branch from OoT.

So what if this event is the split, where 1 timeline is where Link wakes up from his 100 year nap and save Hyrule (BOTW), and the other one is if Link decided to hit snooze on his alarm for another century or 2 (WW). Both games are extremely similar so they could've happened at the same time. The similar clothing could also be coincidence.
OK I'm done now.

I like your speculations. From what I gathered, you believe that the game either starts a new timeline or takes place before Wind Waker.

I'm fine with the New Timeline, but for the Before Wind Waker one, you couldn't be more wrong.

Stated in both the intro AND the timeline, in the WW timeline, no hero appeared for 500 years (I believe) to stop evil. The people cried out to the gods, and in a last ditch effort, they flooded Hyrule. This is where you are wrong. How could BotW link appear before WW, if there was no hero to be found?

I believe it fits more into the Child Link timeline. After the world is ravaged by Zant and the Twilight beasts, the world enters a recover stage. However, what is lost cannot be recovered. This is where that temple that appears in the trailer comes up to me. The On my one link was freeclimbing. That could essentially be the Temple of Time. If you remember, the Temple of Time in TP was ravaged, and you could only see it in its most grand stages by going back in time.

The only thing wrong with my theory that I could find is the placement of the temple. In TP, the temple is hidden away in the depths of the Sacred Grove. In BotW, it appears to be open for the world to behold.

Stated in both the intro AND the timeline, in the WW timeline, no hero appeared for 500 years (I believe) to stop evil. The people cried out to the gods, and in a last ditch effort, they flooded Hyrule. This is where you are wrong. How could BotW link appear before WW, if there was no hero to be found?
It happens before that. WW and OOT are thousands of years apart, so you'd have OOT, then BOTW, then those 500 years, then WW.
I believe it fits more into the Child Link timeline. After the world is ravaged by Zant and the Twilight beasts, the world enters a recover stage. However, what is lost cannot be recovered. This is where that temple that appears in the trailer comes up to me. The On my one link was freeclimbing. That could essentially be the Temple of Time. If you remember, the Temple of Time in TP was ravaged, and you could only see it in its most grand stages by going back in time.

The only thing wrong with my theory that I could find is the placement of the temple. In TP, the temple is hidden away in the depths of the Sacred Grove. In BotW, it appears to be open for the world to behold.
But why would there be Wind Waker characters in a timeline where Wind Waker never existed? Unless the characters are iconic and common like Gorons and Zoras, they are usually only in 1 game. Ritos and Koroks are only in WW. Kikwis, Mogmas, and the robots are only in SS. The Anoukis are only in PH and ST. The Twili are only in TP.

It happens before that. WW and OOT are thousands of years apart, so you'd have OOT, then BOTW, then those 500 years, then WW.

But why would there be Wind Waker characters in a timeline where Wind Waker never existed? Unless the characters are iconic and common like Gorons and Zoras, they are usually only in 1 game. Ritos and Koroks are only in WW. Kikwis, Mogmas, and the robots are only in SS. The Anoukis are only in PH and ST. The Twili are only in TP.
I didn't watch the whole stream so if Ritos were there ignore me, but Koroks appearing outside of WW timeline makes sense because what do you expect to happen with the Kokiris? If they're bored of staying in the Lost Woods, then surely they transformed in other timelines assuming some great evil didn't slay them all

I bought The Minish Cap the other week and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the art style as well.

^

Oh my god, Minish Cap is honestly my favorite Zelda game. It tops all the others for me. The storyline is so sweet and uplifting (as with most Zelda games), and the art is really beautiful. It's really well-done! I think it was the first Zelda game I ever played, too, so it gives me memories of my childhood whenever I play it.

Anyways, I AM REALLY HYPED FOR BREATH OF THE WILD.

The art looks nice, and it's GOING TO BE OPEN WORLD! Freaking exciting.

List of Zelda games that I've played:
--Phantom Hourglass
--Spirit Tracks
--Ocarina of Time (3DS version)
--Majora's Mask (3DS version)
--A Link Between Worlds
--A Link to the Past
--Minish Cap

All. Of. Them. Are. Really. Good.

Last edited:
Finished Twilight Princess HD today. Decided going after all the stamps and beating the Cave of Shadows wasn't worth putting off that shiny :B: badge in my Backloggery. Thinking about going back to Wind Waker HD as well since I don't believe I finished that either.

Seeing as I never actually ever completed them, I decided to go through Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks again. I can see why I lost interest in PH, but I can't figure out for the life of me why I've never finished Spirit Tracks. I'm having so much fun with it, and have had fun with it the past few times!

Still, I am extraordinarily hyped for BotW. Exploration is always my favourite part of any Zelda game, save Phantom Hourglass (that game's ocean never really drew my interest), so it makes me immensely happy to see a Zelda game with that as its main focus.

At the moment, I've got 3 different Zelda games on the go so it's no wonder I haven't completed any of them :( I haven't completed a Zelda game since Link to the past years ago. Right now I'm playing Link between worlds. majoras mask and ocarina of time. I've almost completed link between worlds as that was very nostalgic, really enjoyed playing it. Majoras mask I'm struggling with ten memory aspect. Each time it goes back in time I have difficulty remembering what things I need to repeat or in what order or what have I already done....it's a beautiful game generally though. Ocarina of time I'm about halfway through, it's turning into one of my favourite Zelda games ever. I haven't even started twilight princess yet...

^ALBW is probably one of my favorites up to this point, honestly. Loved the whole system and the plot? It was something I actually wanted to write a FF about ages ago?? WELL OKAY THEN. But yea. Majora's Mask is definitely one of those games you need a guide with. I've found the actual dungeons go faster if you just wing it, but sometimes you can miss important things. Still a great game though.

I also really loved minish cap. And you never hear aaaaanything about it at all. :/ It's like Nintendo forgot about it. Just bring the cute minish back. They're too adorable to forget.

But man am I excited for BOTW. I was a little skeptical of the graphics but now I feel attached already. IT'S SO BIG. So looking forward to wasting time exploring every inch of the map like I did in TP and WW.

I'm really looking forward to BOTW. Looks like Sheikah lore is going to be a big part in this game! A truly mysterious race talked so little about since OoT....

Am I the only one thinks the series should have another really dark and dramatic story like in Twilight Princess? To be honest, I think that's the route the series should always take, but either way I think it's been way too long. The most recent ones have been way too colourful for me. It would be awesome to have another one as dark and almost creepy as that one.

Am I the only one thinks the series should have another really dark and dramatic story like in Twilight Princess? To be honest, I think that's the route the series should always take, but either way I think it's been way too long. The most recent ones have been way too colourful for me. It would be awesome to have another one as dark and almost creepy as that one.

Totally agree. Dark, intriguing, somber, just like TP, with hints of MM melancholy.

OMG no! I really want another dark one too! Twilight Princess was amazing! I am actually terrified about the new Call of the Wild game. It looks soo different and I am afraid it won't feel like a Zelda game. :<

More mature games would be nice from first party nintendo titles. It seems they're trying to cater to everyone now a days. Even breath of the wild looks light and colourful

I wonder what Zelda games would come in the Nintendo Switch. Hopefully some games that don't result in always using Link.

I wonder what Zelda games would come in the Nintendo Switch. Hopefully some games that don't result in always using Link.

There's not much they can remake right now honestly except Skyward Sword. Everything else has been remade or released on a recent console. It would be neat honestly if they revisited the Four Swords games though.

Nintendo needs to remake Link's Awakening. It's timeless. If you ask me instead of rebooting A Link to the Past with ALBW, they should have considered Link's Awakening, what with Marin being in Hyrule Warriors Legends. And I don't mean a reboot, it has to be a remake. Big difference!

Back