• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Wild World worth picking up for the dialogues?

lykkelille

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
NL is my first AC game, and I love it to bits, but the conversations feels a bit too repetititive sometimes and I've heared that WW has a lot deeper villager personalities/interactions?
Is it worth playing this old game for those daily smiles of getting to know the villagers and not landscaping as much as in NL?
I've heared that the crankies are super mean in this game, and I would really like that XD

The crankies and snooties aren't anywhere near as mean as the ACGC ones, but they have an edge to them XD. Ultimately I don't think you should. The only people who can play ACWW after NL are those who played an older installment before NL (regardless of whether it's ACGC, WW or CF), since NL pampers you quite a bit I do not think you'll be satisfied with WW, though it's a great game. I still play it occasionally because I grew up with it and ACGC.

In general having to water flowers, no PWPs, less villagers, no QR codes, no more wifi, etc. you probably won't enjoy it sadly. However it's only $10 for WiiU VC and if you don't think that's a lot of money or have it on hand then I would recommend at least checking it out. It truly is a great game it's just limited due to New Leaf. I believe it could have a lot of what New Leaf had but it doesn't because it didn't want to. In 2005 the series was just different, Nintendo didn't want a game like New Leaf so they didn't make one if you understand what I mean.

All in all it's a great game but you might be too pampered from NL (not that that's a bad thing), but if you think you'd be okay without the aforementioned features then check it out!

Yes, very. This is a big reason why I played WW. It perfected the GCN dialogue formula. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you have one of each personality in your town, I haven't had a peppy in that game for ages.

I forgot to mention this, but the special characters are at their best in Wild World. There's so much dialogue and backstories to discover.

Why would Nintendo soften the crankies and snooties in NL we will never know...

Why would Nintendo soften the crankies and snooties in NL we will never know...
A couple mothers were too sensitive about Resetti, so they probably decided to soften others as well.

I think Wild World has some great dialogue, but it can take ages to hear from some characters such as Blathers and Tom Nook.

I see that the graphics are horrible. Do you have to spend time farming/decorating in this? I kind of want it for the personalities only :)

Is the gc version better than WW?

Last edited:
Wild world was the first Animal Crossing game I ever played and it was really amazing...back then. I've had new leaf for 3 years now and went on to Wild World a couple of months ago. I loved the dialogue but it wasn't the same. Aside from the terrible graphics (which some people don't mind), it was just different as I was so used to New Leaf. I just felt restricted by the gameplay available in WW in comparison to NL.
Still though, I definitely recommend trying it out, it's a great game, just don't expect more than new leaf.

Last edited:
I see that the graphics are horrible. Do you have to spend time farming/decorating in this? I kind of want it for the personalities only :)

Is the gc version better than WW?
The GameCube and DS versions have their pros and cons.

You don't have to spend any time decorating or farming, but good luck having flowers in your town as they need watering just about every day.

The low frame rate may give you a headache, or at the least be unpleasant to look at. It runs at about 20fps but can dip lower, especially when three villagers are on the screen at once. It's worse on R4 cards but potentially not as bad in good emulators. No idea about Virtual Console. I'd say it's quite impressive they got Animal Crossing running on a DS.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, um... there's one little thing I forgot to mention about Wild World. Fruit sells for 100 Bells or 500 Bells depending on if its local or foreign. You can store 15 fruit in your inventory. The only alternative for making money to pay off that loan is via the stalk market. Go figure.

They are definitely more animated, but on another note you'll memorize every dialogue in the game and talking to villagers is not as fun.

Honestly NO. It's definitely the worst AC game in my opinion.

You mean worst main-series game? There's a spin-off we don't talk about.

I'm personally not too invested in Wild World, though it looks good and spawned a brilliant movie that was somehow better than the game it was based on (Wild World, not the series as a whole). The villagers are very mean in this game compared to the others though, even more than in the GameCube game (I once saw someone get a bottled note from Gracie that called the player a redneck, and I heard that villagers may call another villager 'sexist' during conversation. Dunno if that last one is true but if it is then... WTF?!). I don't mind the fact that the villagers were toned down in later games since this game might make you hate your favourite villagers but what does bother me is that the cranky villagers no longer stay true to their name (I'm alright with toned down snooty villagers). The music is really good and was carried over to City Folk/Let's Go to the City. This game began the second generation of Animal Crossing (which is Wild World and City Folk) and introduced the rolling-log effect. I've noticed that the game is a bit slower compared to other games (villagers walk MUCH slower and the framerate is poor even for the DS). There is no Z axis at all so there aren't any cliffs and the worst part is that there are no holidays such as Halloween and Toy Day (events still exist but those aren't 'holidays'). The models are the exact same ones from generation 1 (N64/GCN era) excluding the player model which has been upgraded and looks a thousand times better. The textures are also improved over the original ones but it's hard to notice due to lack of anti-aliasing. I would recommend this game if you absolutely adore the series or if you are a collector however I don't recommend it if you want to play it daily since it's a bit dated and obsolete. If you do plan on getting it then just watch out for the game's fanbase: it's terrible.

Last edited:
I got WW for free yesterday... So, maybe I should try and start a town even if some here say i shouldnt? XD

I got WW for free yesterday... So, maybe I should try and start a town even if some here say i shouldnt? XD

It kept me busy for over a year before I got bored. If you think you'll enjoy it for a while, then go for it.

Back