• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

E3 2006 Was Crap! [56K Warning]

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Articles.png

Now, before you lash out at me for saying this, consider the fact that Sony, Microsoft, AND Nintendo failed to live up to their promises at this E3. We got a lion's share of news, but regardless, we didn't as much as was promised. I believe that all three companies will feel major losses for not offering more info...

_________________________________________________Nintendo

Dear Ninty, you just promised too much at Pre-E3 interviews. We knew you weren't going to deliver with all of your promises, and we were right, to an extent. The so-called "Megaton" was never revealed, and I don't think it's the speaker or WiiConnect24. It's understandable that you're trying to keep companies like Sony from copying ideas, but it's sometimes better to reveal these types of things before it's too late!

And what about Virtual Console information? The little grain of info we got was the classic controller, and a demo of the Virtual Console. The thing is, we got no specifics, no price, no details, no nothing. If you're going to promise all of this, then at least try and give us half of what you promised!

nintendo_kirby-2.jpg

Titles like Kirby GCN were surprisingly absent from the show.

And I don't know where to start when it comes to software. Where's Wolf Link playable, like you promised? I can understand that the Zelda team is under severe pressure, but if they're not sure if they can have Wolf Link there, why even say anything related to the matter? If I was the guy that said Wolf Link would be playable at E3 2006, I'd honestly keep my mouth shut.

And where's Kirby GCN? Did that title evaporate? It certainly wasn't vaporware, but it's as close as you can get, even though we got a video of it... last year. That's all the info we have gotten for a year, and now I can't help but wonder if the newly announced Kirby DS game is actually the one for the GCN. Nintendo's done this numerous times... And it really annoys me.

Nintendo, instead of hyping us up like crazy and then offering next to no information, it's better to be smarter and surprise us all... If it was said by perhaps Reggie that E3 2006 would not be a place where Nintendo's presence will be felt, of course, fans would be in an uproar, but they'd be surprised, later on, when they'll notice how large of a presence Nintendo had.

And for Heaven's Sake, STOP overusing the terms "innovative", "intuitive", and "disruptive." Reggie, just dare to try to say these terms one more time. I swear I'll send the Pikmin over for a little "tete-a-tete."

The fact of the matter is Nintendo DID have a large presence at E3, but it was all very underwhelming when compared to their promises. I'm not even going to ask what happened with Gamecube support, the release date for Twilight Princess, the Wii Cooking game, future DS Wi-Fi titles, and etc... I'd just like to hope E3 2007 will be a better year for Nintendo.

_________________________________________________Sony

It's Ridge Racer. <big><big><big><big>RIIIDGE RAACER!!!</big></big>

...Glad I got that out of my system. My, my, Sony, where to begin? Maybe I should attack your weak point for massive damage? But on to a more serious note, your conference was the worst every in E3 history. You did so many things wrong, it's unbelievable. There are a couple of notable exceptions, however, where Sony did lots of good stuff, but mostly... The conference was utter and completely crap.

gran_turismo_46.jpg

Wow, let's watch that Gran Turismo HD movie... 30 minutes long, is it?... Nice... Can someone PLEASE turn off that beeping noise?

Yeah, Kaz, your president, says you're not interested in gimmicks, but the Eye of Judgement thinks otherwise. Kaz, if you're going to be bashing your competition, please don't humuliate yourself while you're at it. Also, I'd recommend it if you tried to be a bit less "wiitarded"... Even though the PS3 controller has only a fraction of the motion sensing capabilities the Wii controller does, it's still obvious Nintendo was your inspiration. Don't even TRY to deny this.

"In a way I understand why people say [we stole Nintendo's idea], but it is a little stupid, if you forgive the remark."

When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real time 3-D graphics for the first time," he noted. "When Nintendo launched its N64 in 1996 it also had 3D graphics, did we say, "Nintendo stole our idea!"? Obviously not. Such innovations become possible because of a combination of technology, cost and manufacture capacities."
- Phil Harrison

Now, getting to you, Phil... You honestly think your company invented 3D graphics? Maybe you're forgetting about a certain system called the "SNES" that had prehistoric, but nonetheless, 3D graphics? The franchise called Star Fox should probably ring a bell, eh?

Even lots of other games had small 3D tidbits... Yoshi's Island is a notable. Really, if you're going to claim your company invented 3D, go all the way and say your company invented videogame consoles. Phil, think before you talk, unless you want people to laugh at you and your company.

But even though Sony's press conference was a wreck, their show afterwards was pretty stellar. They had some great games playable, although, sadly, most of them aren't reaching Sony PS3 owners until 2007... I feel it would've been better if they showcased more of the planned launch titles.

All in all, I hope Sony doesn't repeat what happened at the E3 2006 Press Conference. I respect Sony as a company and I admire what they do in terms of videogames, but you can't help but wonder if Kaz is completely sane after all of this.

_________________________________________________Microsoft

Wow... No hype here, but not really any good stuff either. At least you guys didn't do what Nintendo did and overhype the conference... But other than the Halo 3 trailer, there really isn't much to talk about.

It would have been appreciated if we got a but more news on Halo 3, and if Rare had a bit of a larger presence... I can't gaze at that Viva Pinata movie forever, you know, and I was really hoping for Banjo-Threeie in video or playable form... If not that, then at least an announcment.

z050922a.jpg

You didn't have much to say, Bill, but it didn't even appear that you did anyway, so no big loss, I suppose.

Microsoft's ship got sunk rather slowly, with nobody really watching... People either realized how much Nintendo overhyped their E3, or were laughing at those giant crabs. Oh yeah, and Lumines, the awesome PSP game, is hitting Xbox Live Arcade... That's the extent of the "breaking news."

Sure, the next installment of Grand Theft Auto is coming to both the 360 and the PS3, but once you realize how far away that actually is (October 2007!), why bother waiting? It's better to buy other good games instead of waiting more than a year for another one...

Overall, there's not much to say here. Nothing really groundbreaking was said, but we didn't expect anything mindblowing either. Microsoft, try adding a bit more of the "wow" factor into your future conferences.

_________________________________________________In Conclusion...

As you might have realized, I am extremely disappointed with E3 2006. All three companies had underwhelming conferences, but thankfully, E3 2006 wasn't a complete failure because at least the playable content offered at the show floor later on was pretty awesome for all three companies.

The Wii might've won best of show in many eyes, but all three companies lost in my eyes. Discuss.

I was wondering about a few things, and how it seems that TP is starting to become a forgotten thing, at least from Nintendo's press perspective. I remember hearing about another Kirby game, but that's all I've heard. Nothing else.

To tell you the truth, this E3 really doesn't sound like a good one. I guess it's a good thing that I was in the middle of nowhere when it was in progress.

:p

Well I can tell you last years E3 was much better. Personally I think that Ninetndo did the best with their confrence and that was their really big achivement. Really it wasn't that great as I thought it would be this year.

Hopefully next years will be better.

OddCrazyMe said:
Well I can tell you last years E3 was much better. Personally I think that Ninetndo did the best with their confrence and that was their really big achivement. Really it wasn't that great as I thought it would be this year.

You don't need to tell me, I was watching it many times over in the past year. >_>;;;

AND I saw it live.

And no, I think the big achievements of every company were the playable games on the showfloor. Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Gears Of War (I think)... Awesome stuff!

Bulerias said:
OddCrazyMe said:

You don't need to tell me, I was watching it many times over in the past year. >_>;;;

AND I saw it live.

And no, I think the big achievements of every company were the playable games on the showfloor. Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Gears Of War (I think)... Awesome stuff!
I wasn't talking to you I was kind of talking to the majority of TBT that reads this thread.

"In a way I understand why people say [we stole Nintendo's idea], but it is a little stupid, if you forgive the remark."

When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real time 3-D graphics for the first time," he noted. "When Nintendo launched its N64 in 1996 it also had 3D graphics, did we say, "Nintendo stole our idea!"? Obviously not. Such innovations become possible because of a combination of technology, cost and manufacture capacities." - Phil Harrison

Now, getting to you, Phil... You honestly think your company invented 3D graphics? Maybe you're forgetting about a certain system called the "SNES" that had prehistoric, but nonetheless, 3D graphics? The franchise called Star Fox should probably ring a bell, eh?

Even lots of other games had small 3D tidbits... Yoshi's Island is a notable. Really, if you're going to claim your company invented 3D, go all the way and say your company invented videogame consoles. Phil, think before you talk, unless you want people to laugh at you and your company."

Bolded: No, he's simply saying they launched the first console ment for 3D gameplay.

and what you stated there is totally bias... starfox wasn't the first either, there were DOZENS of 3d games before that.

stating what you stated, you may aswell be saying nintendo invented the gyroscope, and every other piece of technology in their controller and system... nobody fully owns any of that stuff, and you're totally favoring nintendo in that post.

Just because they didn't do everyhting they promissed doesn't mean it was crap. They have done this at past E3s plenty of times.

STORMTROOPER88888 said:
Just because they didn't do everyhting they promissed doesn't mean it was crap. They have done this at past E3s plenty of times.
Then past E3s were crap. Note E3 2003.

PAC MAN VS!!!1!!!

I thought Nintendo would do more and rise up above the rest at E3 06. I was dissapointed.

I do not agree. Nintendo was a total success. They did all they wanted to at E3. All because they keep us on our toes wondering about what's that and who's that, or whatever. It's fine. If you're really sick of the innovation thing I dont' know what to tell you. That's Nintendo's plan. Sony says graphics graphics graphics...

"Innovation is the key to success."

XGT said:
hmmm...an article by bul that I agree with? THIS REALLY IS THE APOCOLYPSE RUUUUN!!!
rofl

You really need to reconsider what you think about me. >_>;;; I am as far from fanboy as possible.

@ PKMN - All they wanted? Are you kidding? They failed at E3. Where's GCN support info? Kirby GCN? Virtual Console specifics? Release date? Price? Megaton?

And where the heck are you getting the Sony loves graphics thing? They NEVER have graphics over gameplay; this is a stereotype that I'm personally sick of. Their approach is just different, and graphics are innovative as WELL, you don't have to radically change the controller, and you can't have innovation for innovation's sake. :\

I think you made this article to get JJ happy

:D :p. It's true Sony loves graphics :wub:. What are you going to expect, Nintendo giving 100 dollars to everyone walking in? No...Wii wasn't ready, nothing was, not a big deal, they entertained us which is good :). Wii is said to be from 200 - 250 I believe...is that other info important? We all know that you and I am getting a Wii even it sucks...we just are, it doesn't matter all the software on it, I'm gettin' it. So just lay loose on all that technical info.

Kirby GCN, pfft, they announced every single game that's coming out for GCN. Kirby isn't one of them, sorry -_-, maybe it'll be for Wii.

PKMNMasterSamus said:
I think you made this article to get JJ happy

:D :p. It's true Sony loves graphics :wub:. What are you going to expect, Nintendo giving 100 dollars to everyone walking in? No...Wii wasn't ready, nothing was, not a big deal, they entertained us which is good :). Wii is said to be from 200 - 250 I believe...is that other info important? We all know that you and I am getting a Wii even it sucks...we just are, it doesn't matter all the software on it, I'm gettin' it. So just lay loose on all that technical info.

Kirby GCN, pfft, they announced every single game that's coming out for GCN. Kirby isn't one of them, sorry -_-, maybe it'll be for Wii.
What the crap are you talking about? You're obviously horrificly misinformed.

Sony has never stated that they love graphics. Show me proof, then we'll talk. This is a common stereotype that needs to DIE. They just don't radically changed their controller (although they did), and look... Even THEY are having good gameplay... I can't recall all of their good games, but they have TONS of awesome stuff on the PS3.

Enough of the Wii was ready for us to see. The hardware is already finalized in terms of final secrets, etc... We should have known about them since forever, basically. And getting a Wii just because it has "Nintendo" plastered on it isn't smart... I, for one, know that the Wii will have awesome software, and that's why I'm getting it. If it had bad software, I'd get a 360. Simple as that.

Again, you're misinformed. Kirby GCN was announced approximately one year ago, and we've only gotten a trailer and a bit of info... Period. And this is why they should've talked about GCN support; whether or not existing announced games for GCN would be on the GCN, DS, or Wii!

Bulerias said:
What the crap are you talking about?
I just told you all the crap I just said <_< it's not crap it's opinions. For some reason your point of view of video games changed suddenly in the past...little while.

I'm just stating my opinion sorry for doing that.

First off, I gotta' say, Bul...you write a good article. :yes:

You said that Nintendo promised a lot of things that they didnt present. Well I'm sure there were some people (like myself) who didnt see any pre-E3 interviews, and had no idea what to expect! I thought Nintendo's E3 presentation was awesome! It gave a lot of information I wasnt expecting. But then again, I wasnt expecting anything.

And people, no need for arguements. Bul, you stated all of your opinions. You can't expect everyone elses' opinoins to be the same. Think about it, Mixed opinions start good discussions as long as it doesnt turn into an offensive argument.

;)

Xemnas said:
First off, I gotta' say, Bul...you write a good article. :yes:

You said that Nintendo promised a lot of things that they didnt present. Well I'm sure there were some people (like myself) who didnt see any pre-E3 interviews, and had no idea what to expect! I thought Nintendo's E3 presentation was awesome! It gave a lot of information I wasnt expecting. But then again, I wasnt expecting anything.

And people, no need for arguements. Bul, you stated all of your opinions. You can't expect everyone elses' opinoins to be the same. Think about it, Mixed opinions start good discussions as long as it doesnt turn into an offensive argument.

;)
I don't expect everyone's opinions to be the same, but I expect people to stop believing in an outdated stereotype.

@ PKMN - My opinion never changed; actually, I just stopped believing in idiotic stereotypes, such as the fact that Sony hates graphics. And if you're going to say "I played the PS2, and hated it", then I can tell you that a LOT of people say that when they never actually played it. That's just a rebutle for the future if it's necessary.

But in all due seriousness, you need to change your thoughts on the industry. This isn't Good Vs. Evil, Nintendo being good, but everyone here has their own strategy, and it IS right to like one of the companies more than the others, but saying the other companies whom you dislike suck? That's just as bad as saying Sony loves graphics.

Back