PDA

View Full Version : Let me explain something

Aeri Tyaelaria
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I kinda wish I'd posted this on the OLD TBT when we had guys like Erin and Marlon running around. But they might still come on so yea.

Now, on old TBT alot of people talked constantly and almost 'bragged' the ability to gain 'hacked' items and 'hack' games. I just want to clear something up.

There are very few true game ''hacks''. What people are actually refering to are game 'mods'. This is what an Action Replay / GameShark device does. It installs mods into the game to force it into a result it shouldn't produce (so by entering the right code which can be ****ing long). Hacking a game in this style would NOT ONLY be near impossible (Due to the high chances of causing a glitch or irrepairable damage to the game) it would be wasted effort. Hence Modding.

Most of the things people do on Animal crossing to ''hack'' is actually just modding. You download a program to force a result the game to do something it shouldn't normally (So it is like Action Replay). Plus ACToolkit is even noted as a modtool rather.

So, why DO people say ''I CAN HACK AC WOOT''.

Obvious, attention. I can ''hack'' it to, I just need 30 to buy an Action replay cheat disk and insert it into the wii and BAM! I've 'hacked' the game. Plus I haven't downloaded Homebrew and ****ed my Wii up!

Opinions on all this? Personally I find it pathetic when people claim to have hacked a game. Especially if it's things like Animal Crossing..

@Neo Bacon's point.

Ok, AR is technically hacking but only by the guys who WRITE the original code/find the code ETC. Anyone else using it for their games is a modder.
So if you wrote the code originally I would accept you as a 'game hacker' (as long as it worked).
So if you got an AC toolkit you're not a hacker you're a modder. The guy who originally wrote it would be counted as a hacker I guess?

JasonBurrows
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree with you Connor.
Adding items is modding
Rewriting game code is hacking.

Aeri Tyaelaria
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree with you Connor.
Adding items is modding
Rewriting game code is hacking.

Which is a ****ING NIGHTMARE. Theres way to many problems with it.

PoxyLemon
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I kinda wish I'd posted this on the OLD TBT when we had guys like Erin and Marlon running around. But they might still come on so yea.

Now, on old TBT alot of people talked constantly and almost 'bragged' the ability to gain 'hacked' items and 'hack' games. I just want to clear something up.

There are very few true game ''hacks''. What people are actually refering to are game 'mods'. This is what an Action Replay / GameShark device does. It installs mods into the game to force it into a result it shouldn't produce (so by entering the right code which can be ****ing long). Hacking a game in this style would NOT ONLY be near impossible (Due to the high chances of causing a glitch or irrepairable damage to the game) it would be wasted effort. Hence Modding.

Most of the things people do on Animal crossing to ''hack'' is actually just modding. You download a program to force a result the game to do something it shouldn't normally (So it is like Action Replay). Plus ACToolkit is even noted as a modtool rather.

So, why DO people say ''I CAN HACK AC WOOT''.

Obvious, attention. I can ''hack'' it to, I just need 30 to buy an Action replay cheat disk and insert it into the wii and BAM! I've 'hacked' the game. Plus I haven't downloaded Homebrew and ****ed my Wii up!

Opinions on all this? Personally I find it pathetic when people claim to have hacked a game. Especially if it's things like Animal Crossing.
No offense and all but there is a more suitable place for this, its called a blog.

JasonBurrows
02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
No offense and all but there is a more suitable place for this, its called a blog.
Hey HARD R, do you agree with what I said in my reply?

PoxyLemon
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey HARD R, do you agree with what I said in my reply?
Jason it's me, Sam.

and I kind of agree with you, even though you do sound desperate

Aeri Tyaelaria
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

> > ....

Thunder
02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Err, okay. I thought discussion of this stuff wasn't permitted?

[Nook]
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM

This is about Animal Crossing.
And this is an Animal Crossing forum.
Maybe you're saying this because it is a rant, but it is a rant about Animal Crossing. He wants people to get angry along with him and hate on the so-called "hackers".
And it's bound to get more replies and views than a blog would.

I agree with you Sanji, those people are complete idiots!
People seem to think that "hackers" are smart, great, and cool.
Those people aren't hackers, but calling themselves hackers, they get more recognition and fame than they deserve!
They wouldn't be as recognized if they called themselves "modders", but it's honest and the smart and good thing to do.

Complete, utter idiots! I'd like to stuff expired hot sauce into their throats for lying so bad.

Thunder
02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
;1177678']This is about Animal Crossing.
And this is an Animal Crossing forum.
Maybe you're saying this because it is a rant, but it is a rant about Animal Crossing. He wants people to get angry along with him and hate on the so-called "hackers".
And it's bound to get more replies and views than a blog would.

I agree with you Sanji, those people are complete idiots!
People seem to think that "hackers" are smart, great, and cool.
Those people aren't hackers, but calling themselves hackers, they get more recognition and fame than they deserve!
They wouldn't be as recognized if they called themselves "modders", but it's honest and the smart and good thing to do.

Complete, utter idiots! I'd like to stuff expired hot sauce into their throats for lying so bad.

It's more about hac-er, modding i mean.

[Nook]
02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
It's more about hac-er, modding i mean.

I don't know, but what I do know is that he wrongly stated that this should belong in a blog.

Everyone acknowledge his wrongfulness and laugh!

Thunder
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
;1177698']I don't know, but what I do know is that he wrongly stated that this should belong in a blog.

Everyone acknowledge his wrongfulness and laugh!

It could go in the blog section, since most of it is just him ranting.

Psychonaut
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
tl;dr

[Nook]
02-25-2011, 12:18 AM
tl;dr

Short version: People who mod AC are wrongfully calling themselves "hackers".

Sporge27
02-25-2011, 01:20 AM
umm well, define hacking please? All I can get for hacking is that you are getting things in a program to work in ways it wasn't meant to... so in a way yes these devices do do this. It can also be considered modding I suppose but not the same connotation of breaking into places you shouldn't with modding.

Psychonaut
02-25-2011, 01:25 AM
;1177845']Short version: People who mod AC are wrongfully calling themselves "hackers".
i love how hackers are so full of themselves that they have to have specific definitions of different kinds of tech stuff.

hack vs crack vs mod vs whargarbl

Matthewop
02-25-2011, 01:44 AM
i think if it exists just let it go!

Aeri Tyaelaria
02-25-2011, 06:10 AM
umm well, define hacking please? All I can get for hacking is that you are getting things in a program to work in ways it wasn't meant to... so in a way yes these devices do do this. It can also be considered modding I suppose but not the same connotation of breaking into places you shouldn't with modding.

I wouldn't ever define it as hacking given YOU are not doing it yourself. Hacking is a much longer and tiresom process. Which would mean you'd be running your computer (s) for ages to 'hack'.
Modding is using a premade code to get something in-game. It's kinda hard to explain but I would never consider modding a game 'hacking'.

Psychonaut
02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't ever define it as hacking given YOU are not doing it yourself. Hacking is a much longer and tiresom process. Which would mean you'd be running your computer (s) for ages to 'hack'.
Modding is using a premade code to get something in-game. It's kinda hard to explain but I would never consider modding a game 'hacking'.
wait
this is what you're upset about?

LOL.

that isn't modding. modding is adding onto the hardware to make it different.
hacking is supposed to be an educated approach to getting into databases and whatnot to see how they tick.
cracking is supposed to be the malicious counterpart to hacking; getting into databases and whatnot to kill them.

so really, they're doing neither. they're just changing a bit of code/cheating.

either way, nbd

[Nook]
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
i think if it exists just let it go!

I don't understand.

Sporge27
02-27-2011, 09:03 AM
hmmm I agree that many aren't doing the hard stuff themselves, but what the devices do I would consider hacking as they are doing things with the game not intended for the general user.

Outside of this context though, hacking for me has always been another word for I've been lazy in my code lol

Bacon Boy
02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
"Hacking (English verb to hack, singular noun a hack) refers to the re-configuring or re-programming of a system to function in ways not facilitated by the owner, administrator, or designer. The term(s) have several related meanings in the technology and computer science fields, wherein a "hack" may refer to a clever or quick fix to a computer program problem, or to what may be perceived to be a clumsy or inelegant (but usually relatively quick) solution to a problem, such as a "kludge"."

Thanks Wikipedia!

That's pretty much the definition of hacking. Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated.

Psychonaut
02-27-2011, 02:21 PM
stuff
-hacker

a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"
In common usage, a hacker is a person who breaks into computers, usually by gaining access to administrative controls. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground.

-cracker

a programmer who cracks (gains unauthorized access to) computers, typically to do malicious things; "crackers are often mistakenly called hackers"

thanks google

Bacon Boy
02-27-2011, 02:27 PM
-hacker

a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"
In common usage, a hacker is a person who breaks into computers, usually by gaining access to administrative controls. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground.

-cracker

a programmer who cracks (gains unauthorized access to) computers, typically to do malicious things; "crackers are often mistakenly called hackers"

thanks google

Don't understand why you quoted me when it had nothing to do with my main point.

Sporge27
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Eh I like BBs definitions better, more what I think of.

Psychonaut
02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't understand why you quoted me when it had nothing to do with my main point.
your main post wasn't the definition? :/

Bacon Boy
02-27-2011, 06:51 PM
your main post wasn't the definition? :/

My main point was
"Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated."

Gnome
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
off topic, but I still don't know who you were on older TBT.

Thunder
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
off topic, but I still don't know who you were on older TBT.

Sanji, Neko Yuki Super-Kawaii Pyrozanryu?

[Nook]
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
My main point was
"Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated."

They're not doing the hacking, the AR has the codes in it and you just have to enable the codes.

Aeri Tyaelaria
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
;1178913']They're not doing the hacking, the AR has the codes in it and you just have to enable the codes.

What nook said.

I don't count it as hacking as you're just selecting a code. The guys who write the code, find the code ETC are the hackers.

So people like MARLON for example are not hackers. Their modders.

[Nook]
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
What nook said.

I don't count it as hacking as you're just selecting a code. The guys who write the code, find the code ETC are the hackers.

So people like MARLON for example are not hackers. Their modders.

Thank you, kind sir.

Aeri Tyaelaria
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
;1180508']Thank you, kind sir.

No problemo Nook.

Zex
03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Lol this thread reminds me. Look whos back