• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Goodbye Guitar Hero.

Well I'm upset, Guitar Hero was my favorite game (err, one of them.) I hope they don't quit DLC. As long as I get my new music, I'm satisfied.

guitar hero died at, and after the third initial game.
i have 1 & 2 (well, a friend stole 1), and i stopped after that. i'm too much of a hipster to play a popular game, y'know?
anyway, i played the **** out of 2. jordan ftw.

when it left harmonix' hands, i knew it had died creatively. it was just a shadow of rock band, and now that harmonix is done with rock band, i can't say this comes as a huge surprise. i mean, i thought guitar hero had been dead for years, but an official announcement is like "wat".

oh well. here's hoping harmonix' newest title is a tribute to the total ass-baddery that is amplitude. that game was trippy as balls.
looks slow, but it is hard as **** to play that song.

Last edited:
The Guitar Hero Series was definitely a great one, I just think they pushed out too many products too fast, and didn't let the consumer have a break. That's why I stopped buying games after world tour.

@Serk102: Yeah one year they literally rolled out 5 games or so in the span of a year.

But yeah, this is really random. I wasn't too big of a fan of the Guitar Hero series, but their latest game wasn't all that bad. I also heard DJ Hero wasn't that affected to badly by this. All they had was some layoffs.
As for me, I'm going to do what I was doing before this: sticking to my Bemani rhythm games. Speaking of which, for those who lurk Bemanistyle, you should see the comments on this news article. Most people don't care and/or are rejoicing.

I never liked guitar hero. They were always stupid Rock songs. I personally much prefer SingStar then Guitar Hero - In SingStar you actually get to chose which songs you get depending upon which version you buy. With Guitar Hero, even though there are many versions. I still don't like it due to the fact they're stupid Rock songs. So smexy musicals in it :(

It feels good knowing that they axed it. Although, it puzzles me why they didn't axe the Tony Hawk games too. Last time I checked, his last few games were flops, both in sales and reviews. I hope those people don't lose their jobs.

I never liked guitar hero. They were always stupid Rock songs. I personally much prefer SingStar then Guitar Hero - In SingStar you actually get to chose which songs you get depending upon which version you buy. With Guitar Hero, even though there are many versions. I still don't like it due to the fact they're stupid Rock songs. So smexy musicals in it :(
I'm pretty sure you're comparing apples and oranges here. The focus on SingStar is to sing. The focus on Guitar Hero is well, play an instrument. Yes, I know there's singing in the later versions Guitar Hero, but the focus was on the band and not solely on singing like SingStar is.

okay. let's lay some knowledge on you dum dums.

Guitar Hero was originally the most fresh idea that had come from music games since DDR included a dance pad and was released.
it was made by a then-indie group (still indie, but more known), Harmonix.
Harmonix had already made at least two (i don't know if they had previous games) AWESOME music games, Frequency and Amplitude. they were sleeper/cult hits, and the latter (amplitude) had online play. Red Octane supplied the controller, harmonix supplied the game itself, sweet sweet gaming love created guitar hero, which went on to win some award at E3, and later they made (naturally) guitar hero 2.
at this point, activision took over the guitar hero name, and red octane stayed with them. harmonix went on to make rock band, and revolutionize the music-game genre, AGAIN, by adding in extra instruments, and by adding in a very nice DLC system.
guitar hero failed to keep it up, and after an initial bang that GH3 had, they flopped and churned out as much as they could. now it's dead, after Rock Band 3 has been said (by Harmonix) to be the last in the Rock Band series.
guitar hero 3, and all of the preceeding guitar hero games were not made by harmonix, and thus were not as high quality as the original two were. they were not made by the same people, and were not being managed the same. i may be a huge harmonix fanboy because of it's dedication to quality, but if you look at and play the games, you can tell the difference. if you don't, well, that's your own loss.

if you believe guitar hero only had rock songs, you're obviously not educated on guitar hero at all. as long as harmonix has had the reigns, there has been a wide variety of genres, all fitting VERY well. all of them have to fit with a guitar, since, derp, you play a guitar, but there is a nice mix of rock varieties. rock band added in plenty of drum and vocally-suited songs to make those experiences fun as well.

if you don't want to play a fake plastic guitar to rock songs you love, you probably shouldn't be playing guitar hero.

can't wait for harmonix' reboot of amplitude. ****'s gonna be so cash.

Finally. All we need now is for Call of Duty and Madden to be removed. Then the gaming industry will be saved.

Finally. All we need now is for Call of Duty and Madden to be removed. Then the gaming industry will be saved.

See, I don't have a problem with Madden or any sports games. Sure not alot really gets updated and is just for the season/new rosters, that makes more sense than the small additions in CoD or GH.
I understand where you're coming from and I agree, but I don't have that much of an issue with the sports games.

call of duty has it's merits, as does madden. my step brother would likely not have been interested in buying a new system unless there was a new madden game to take advantage of the upgrade.

i understand where you're coming from, and things do need to change.. but i don't think axing guitar hero had much to do with the gaming industry, much less saving it.

what would save the industry would be nintendo dropping 50% of their shovelware games, and some real good games getting dropped. i've been really nostalgic for many of my ps2 games, and i don't know if it's just me, or if it's because they were inherently better.

i miss my arcade style tony hawk games, as opposed to this simulation BS.
i miss my amplitude, as opposed to guitar hero/rock band (though they're both fun in their own right)
i miss wasting days away just playing my ps2 and loving it. maybe i've overlooked a lot of ps3 games.. maybe i'm just nostalgic/jaded, but there's something wrong with this gen that's keeping me from having the same emotion/feelings about it as the last gen had.
i could be totally attached to a machine, but really, i'm sure there's some instance in which you've felt the same, no? (@ general readers)

I do indeed feel sad.
I loved playing Guitar Hero. But I suppose there are only so many rock songs in the world :c

I do indeed feel sad.
I loved playing Guitar Hero. But I suppose there are only so many rock songs in the world :c
no, they could always find new songs to put in the game. remixes, if need be. there's constantly new music being put out.

the problem is rock band is old for harmonix, who likes to keep things fairly fresh, and guitar hero is just a washed up shell of what harmonix made, so it's basically activision trying to keep up with harmonix.

tl;dr, harmonix quit, so they dropped it, too.
they didn't have anyone to copy. boo hoo.

Back