• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

PSP2 Revealed at Sony's Tokyo Event

Serk102

First nonbot on TBT 2.0
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mailbox
Ancient Lantern
Dusty Scroll
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Kotaku said:
The PSP2 is finally here. Sony revealed its brand new PlayStation Portable at an event in Tokyo today, our first official look at the PlayStation maker's next foray into handheld gaming, the NGP or "Next Generation Portable." First details below.

The Hardware
Sony confirmed many of the features of the PSP2 that we've already heard in the form of leaks, rumor and speculation. The PSP2 features a high-resolution, touch-sensitive OLED screen that's larger than the original PSP screen, tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras, and a touch sensitive back panel.

Sony boasts that the new PlayStation Portable is as powerful as a PlayStation 3. The device features built-in WiFi and 3G wireless connectivity and uses an all-new form of media storage for games?no more UMD.

Here's how Sony describes it: "NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

For now, Sony is officially calling the new PlayStation Portable by its codename, Next Generation Portable or NGP. It will be out this holiday in Japan.

The Full Specs

• CPU: ARM? Cortex?-A9 core (4 core)
  • GPU: SGX543MP4+
  • External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
  • Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
  • Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
  • Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
  • Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
  • Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
  • Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth? 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
The Games
Sony showcased a handful of games alongside the reveal of the new PSP, including new titles Little Deviants, Reality Fighters and Gravity Daze, plus games based on the following PlayStation franchises.

• Uncharted
  • Killzone
  • WipeOut
  • Resistance
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Hustle Kings
  • Hot Shots Golf
Sony says the new PlayStation Portable will also play PSone games supported via its PlayStation Suite platform and will be backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games. To demonstrate this, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demoed Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP on a NGP.

Third parties have shown demonstrations of Yakuza 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the system, with Activision announcing a Call of Duty for the new PSP.
http://kotaku.com/5744485/the-psp-2-revealed

Kotaku said:
Sony also announced the "Playstation Suite" which will allow for PS1 games to be played on Android operating system based mobile phones.

At it's big PlayStation event held today in Tokyo, Sony has revealed a program whereby "certified" PlayStation games will be made available for mobile phones.

Rather than be tied to a single device, like we've been seeing all along, Sony is calling this idea "PlayStation Suite", a mobile gaming platform of sorts designed for Android mobile phones.

With games bearing a "PlayStation Certified" tag, it aims to bring titles like original PS1 games (or their equivalent, we suppose?) to mobiles in a "hardware neutral game framework".

Among the first PS1 games to launch on the service will be Wild Arms, Cool Boarders 2, Rally cross, Medievil and Syphon Filter.

While designed for Android phones, the "PlayStation Suite" titles will also be available on the PSP2.

We'll get you more details - including what role the "PlayStation Phone" plays in all this - as they come to hand.
http://kotaku.com/5744509/playstation-games-coming-to-android-phones

Oh, and also, for those of you who didn't know, there's also a Playstation phone in the workings. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview

So, who else is excited? Also, how do you think this compares to the 3DS? Right now the hardware is definitely better, but the 3DS has some impressive games the are going to be in it's lineup.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the original PSP / DS launches.

Guys at Sony:
"OMFG Guyz we need to make sure Nintendo doesn't steal all the marketshare with their DS!1! How can we do this???!??!!?"
Some nerd in the corner: "Let's combat it with better graphics and it will all be okay!1!1!"

</severely hate the PSP>

I'm going to have to look into it further before I consider getting it whenever it comes out

I'm hoping it'll be around the 300 price range. I'll probably end up getting it before a 3ds.

your face when you realize it's just a portable PS3 (trigger buttons = touch pads on the back)

it really depends on how much people want a portable ps3, and what *new* games they can churn out for it.
not sure who i want to "win" this portable war.
whoever delivers real gaming experiences (not just add-ons, extras, and "innovative" gameplay) will have my vote.
no new, real platformers (be it 2d or 3d) will be a hit for me, since i love them to bits. not interested in 3d OoT, looking forward to star fox, hope kid icarus is something like it.

i dunno. i just want to play some good games.

The 3DS is going to win... The PSP2 doesn't sound like its going to be fantastic...

really, both sound exactly like their previous systems, but beefed up.

the DS was about innovation and immersion (touch-control was kinda immersive, and the mic kinda counts when used right), the PSP was about graphics, raw power, and media.

3DS is more about innovation and immersion, with a graphical boost and enhanced internet/wifi options.
PSP2 is about raw power, from what it looks like. media will obviously be another focus for sony, judging from how all it's previous consoles have gone.

i dunno. meh.

I'm more excited for this than the 3DS. It would take OoT 3D and a new Pokemon game to come out in order to get me to pay attention to it again.

Pretty much what I was expecting from Sony, but I didn't see the back touch panel coming. I'll admit, it is an interesting feature, and I'm surprised that Sony actually added something unique to their device this time, but I don't see it making as much of an impact in gaming as the DS's (and 3DS's) two screens have. Sony seems to be going down the smartphone route...which is rather silly, in my opinion.

Pretty much what I was expecting from Sony, but I didn't see the back touch panel coming. I'll admit, it is an interesting feature, and I'm surprised that Sony actually added something unique to their device this time, but I don't see it making as much of an impact in gaming as the DS's (and 3DS's) two screens have. Sony seems to be going down the smartphone route...which is rather silly, in my opinion.

It is insanely silly. Who would use the smartphone options on a portable gaming console when you could just use your smartphone?

It is insanely silly. Who would use the smartphone options on a portable gaming console when you could just use your smartphone?
Exactly. That's why I have my DSi XL and my iPhone. You get the best of both worlds, but they are two worlds that shouldn't be combined into one device.

k.. how is the psp2 a smart phone, again?

the touch panels on back are just "innovative" shoulder triggers.

in sony's defense, (@jas0n more, since he said it) i doubt a lot of people stood around and thought "why would i use my phone(or dsi) for a camera, when i can carry around my camera and phone?" it's just another option. if the PSP2 ends up being a high-powered smart-phone, i'll be shocked due to battery life + playstation phone still being in the works last i heard. the psp2 will obviously still cover the portable media bases for sony, but i don't agree with the "why would it be necessary when you have X?" thought-line.

i didn't notice anything that pointed at phone (besides 3g, which i assumed would be fore mobile internet or something), anyone wanna link me to that, or am i being too tl;dr and it's in the first post?

k.. how is the psp2 a smart phone, again?

the touch panels on back are just "innovative" shoulder triggers.

in sony's defense, (@jas0n more, since he said it) i doubt a lot of people stood around and thought "why would i use my phone(or dsi) for a camera, when i can carry around my camera and phone?" it's just another option. if the PSP2 ends up being a high-powered smart-phone, i'll be shocked due to battery life + playstation phone still being in the works last i heard. the psp2 will obviously still cover the portable media bases for sony, but i don't agree with the "why would it be necessary when you have X?" thought-line.

i didn't notice anything that pointed at phone (besides 3g, which i assumed would be fore mobile internet or something), anyone wanna link me to that, or am i being too tl;dr and it's in the first post?
It's not a smartphone, no, but it's very much like a smartphone. The whole multitouch thing, 3G, GPS, compatibility with Android apps... Sony is trying to make the PSP2/NGP as similar to a smartphone as possible, without actually making it a smartphone. And while it's always good to have new features and such...having the same exact features as a smartphone isn't really a great idea. Why? Well, for one, people who already have smartphones surely aren't going to replace their phones with a gaming system that is like their phones, and carrying around two devices that do pretty much the same thing isn't very practical, is it?

Now, in the case of the 3DS, you're getting a very different experience than on a smartphone, so having both isn't nearly as impractical. In fact, the two devices complement each other quite well. When I want to kill a few minutes with a small little game or browse the web, check Facebook, or whatnot while waiting in line or something, I pull out my iPhone. But when I want a full, complete gaming experience, whether on the go or at home, I pull out my DSi XL. Each device is suitable for different situations, and they're both used pretty much equally. But with the PSP2/NGP pushing the line between portable gaming system and smartphone, the usage between gaming system and smartphone becomes a lot more unbalanced.

Sure, with the PSP2/NGP you can play games online anywhere over 3G, browse the web and use all sorts of different downloadable apps, search maps and find directions with GPS technology, and possibly even video chat...but you can do all of that on your phone already! Plus, your phone is, you know...a phone. If you're going out and only want to take one device with you (especially with as big as the PSP2/NGP is), which one do you think you're going to take? Probably the one of more use to you; your smartphone. Now, if Sony were to actually make a PSP smartphone, that would be a different story...but then again, it wouldn't be so much of a portable gaming system as it would be a smartphone, which kinda defeats the purpose... And besides, don't we only have rumors of a PSP smartphone? For all we know, they could be completely false, or they could have been referring to the PSP2/NGP.

@psp/vs smartphone arguement: The psp is obviously where people go for "full" gaming experiences on the go.

The ds tends to have more 'jump in jump out' type of games. Plus, the 3DS' menu is pretty much... an iOS menu.

Plus most people involved in the arguement are spouting hypocritical nonsense anyway.

But honestly, I was amazed at the 3DS after e3, but after nintendo's recent events Im finding myself... underwhelmed.
The psp2 caught me by surprise, and if sony gets the price right, they're going to put up a hell of a fight for nintendo.

I came here looking for a post from you.. you never let me down

Tyeforce....I'm speechless.....your last post was one of the few of your posts I didn't tl;dr (sorry man just dont like reading sometimes :p) But I agree with you 100% on this. I owned both a PSP and a ds... hell I owned all the DS's except XL. I played psp for like...I'd say a month, then went back to DS. So from my time with a PSP, the PSP2 does not perk up my interests at all . Plus I already have an android...

I'm just happy they didn't release this and the 3DS at the same time, because then I'd have to choose :C

Back