• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Buy 1 PS3 version of Portal Get 1 PC Version Free

Trent the Paladin

Lv 29 Nerd
Retired Staff
Apple 🍎
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Father's Day Carnation
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Festive Bell
Green Christmas Stocking
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Crescent Moon Glow Wand
Rainbow Feather
Yellow Pansy
Pikachu Easter Egg
If you play Portal 2 on PS3, you can play with people on a PC. Neat! And to make sure as many people as possible are doing just that, the PS3 version of the game will include the PC version.

All players have to do once they get the game is link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts. Once that's done, they'll have a Steam Play (so, PC and/or Mac) version of the game ready to download in their library list.

This cross-platform play even extends to giving PS3 users the ability to chat to PC gamers, and vice-versa. Oh, and PS3 users can even save their game in the Steam Cloud, meaning Valve has them tucked away in their servers in case something ever goes horribly wrong with your PS3.

That's a whole lot of "firsts" for both Steam, the PC multiplayer service of choice, and Sony's PlayStation Network. Not to mention a free copy of the game you can, for example, take with you on a laptop when you're not on your couch with the PS3.

And if all this works, and works well, let us welcome out glorious cross-platform future with open arms!
http://kotaku.com/5736343/portals-creators-are-handing-out-free-games

This is simply glorious. :> Now I think I'll buy the PS3 version.

Just saw this and it's a nice idea.

And just saying, cross platform gaming has been done before... to some success

If I bought the game for Mac, do you think it would allow steamplay even though I didn't get it off of Steam?

Last edited:
Wait, so if i buy PS3 version for a friend (since i don't have one) can i get the PC version and we can play? :eek:

Wait, so if i buy PS3 version for a friend (since i don't have one) can i get the PC version and we can play? :eek:
what i'm assuming is happening is steam is now linking to your PSN account, so the two services are more or less merging on games that support steamworks (like portal 2).

you probably wouldn't be able to play online, since logging into your Steam account would boot him off of the PSN connection (since it would look like one person trying to play a multiplayer with himself to the servers)

that make sense?

makes me wonder if they're going to do the same in reverse.. PC faithful getting a PSN download of the game. oh well. i wouldn't want to play it on a ps3.. too used to mouse+keyboard, but i guess it depends on what offers they're giving us.

what i'm assuming is happening is steam is now linking to your PSN account, so the two services are more or less merging on games that support steamworks (like portal 2).

you probably wouldn't be able to play online, since logging into your Steam account would boot him off of the PSN connection (since it would look like one person trying to play a multiplayer with himself to the servers)

that make sense?

makes me wonder if they're going to do the same in reverse.. PC faithful getting a PSN download of the game. oh well. i wouldn't want to play it on a ps3.. too used to mouse+keyboard, but i guess it depends on what offers they're giving us.

Damn :(

Back