• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Recommendations Thread

AndyB

Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Cherry (Fruit)
The Game Recommendation thread.​

Just had an idea, here we can post game recommendation. That way it'll stop random threads like "is this game good?"
Take a gander here and see what the likes of TBT plays.

Code:
Name:
Platform:
Pros:
Cons:

I'm liking this :)

Good idea. Will definitely be using this.

Name: Radiata Stories
Platform: PS2
Pros: An enjoyable Action-RPG
Cons: You'll need A Darkstar Ripclaw's guide on GameFAQs to get through this one. You have a choice between the Human and Non-Human side in this game, there are about 120 Human adversaries, and approximately 50 Non-Human allies. Of course, out of the 170 characters you can possibly recruit in this game, only 20 or so are usable.

Name: Rogue Galaxy
Platform: PS2
Pros: Again, an Action-RPG
Cons: It is incredibly long, you could invest as much time into this as you could with a Dragon Quest game.

Last edited:
Try to put at least 1 con you can think of. Not just "none", there's no perfect game folks.

Name: Trine
Platform: PC
Pros: Awesome side-scrolling puzzle game that I'm awfully addicted to atm. It's got a very unique style.
Cons: Can get slightly annoying with the way mobs spawn and such.

Name: Epic Mickey
Platform: Wii
Pros: An amazing game with a lot to do. You meet many old disney characters and it brings back memories.
Cons: Kinda hard to understand what to do sometimes. And the guy that helps Mickey all the time is kinda weird and not a disney figure.
Also I thought I could write a little bit more about the game here, if it's okay. If not then I will edit it.
Characters: Mickey Mouse, Gremlin dude that I don't know the name of, Os, Crazy Prof. and Wizard.
Story: You know Mickey Mouse, right? He got into the mirror. He didn't know how. He saw an old wizard and were hiding from him. The wizard had just finished a project. A world where all the forgotten characters lived. The wizard went away and Mickey went in and started drawing. Sadly he lost some thinner on the world and it became a really bad place to live. Mickey ran out of the place and went to bed. Mickey forgot about this and lived his life, but one day a dark creature came out from the mirror, grabbed him and took him to the world for forgotten disney characters.
Rating: 4

Name: Super Meat Boy
Platform: PC/Xbox
Pros: Music is awesome. Gameplay is fun. Characters are adorable and funny. Completing that level that's been making you scream for the past 30 minutes? Priceless.
Cons: Frustrating as all Hell. (needs to be played with a controller, seriously.)

Name: Mirrors Edge
Platform: PC/PS3/Xbox 360/iPhone
Pros: Really "streamlined", very fast, exciting. Beautiful game design (if you like colourful things!) and very original. Since I got this game 2 years ago, I've loved it to death and enjoyed playing through it again and again as well as playing the DLC pack of races. The iPhone version also is really good, unexpected from a mobile game, but it's still very smooth and easy to play!
Cons: The story is a bit sucky.

Name: Assassin's Creed II
Platform: PS3/Xbox/PC(?)
Pros: One hell of a game. A million times better than AC I, really gonna keep you hooked for hours of play, lots of things to do, great storyline, nice controls, decent graphics, hell fun.
Cons: Not as good as AC Brotherhood.

Name: Borderlands
Platform: 360/PS3/PC
Pros: Extremely large gun collection, (Like I mean millions of different guns!) Very fun online co-op multiplayer mode where you can play the whole story with your friends, and the cel-shaded styled graphics are very unique to a first person shooter of a game. Gaining levels is also a very fun thing to do, having level requirements for some guns, shields, and grenade mods keep you wanting to level up!
Cons: The story is not too interesting. While you keep playing because it's fun and expansive, the story is something you probably won't be interested in. Some of the perks you get while leveling up are kind of lame too.

Name: Psychonauts
Platform: Xbox/PS2/PC (steam and various other outlets)
Pros: great voicing, dialogue, fun characters, overall a nice game.
Cons: controls can be a bit wonky at times, and it all boils down to a collect-a-thon, but even that's fairly fun. (until you're trying to 100% the levels, obviously optional.)

Name:Bit.Trip.Beat
Platform: Wii, PC
Pros: Think of it as the lovechild of Guitar Hero and Pong. Great chiptune soundtrack, and challegnign but fair.
Cons: Only 3 levels long.

Earthbound
Platform: SNES
Pros: Lighthearted clever humor, catchy music, psychic powers, interesting enemies.
Cons: Traumatizing end boss, lack of after-game playability.

Name: Oblivion (The Elder Scrolls 4)
Platform: Xbox360,PS3,PC
Pros: Fun RPG with plenty of items,quests,and Monsters Rarely gets boring! Do whatever you want you can go do quest lines and ignore the story if you want!
Cons: Can't think of many

Name: Shadow of the Colossus

Platform: PS2, (being remade for the PS3 also)

Pros: The music in SotC is beautiful, always matching the setting or mood & making each area feel like it should. The world of this game is just as beautiful as the music is, you can tell the designers put a lot of work into making it, & with tons of landscapes & areas to explore if you have the time. But the unique part of this this game is the bosses, there are no other mobs or enemies in this game, just you & 16 giant colossus figures to take take down, all different in their own way. All this combined with an emotional storyline really adds up to be a game that sticks with you in its own special way.

Cons: The camera in SotC can be tricky, & sometimes you'll find yourself having trouble lining your character up center with the screen. And even though you'll have a wonderful time taking in the beautiful areas, the framerates can & most likely will drop very low in some parts of the boss battles, making for a sometimes laggy game.

Last edited:
Name: Super Mario RPG
Platform: SNES, Virtual Console
Genre: Adventure Turn-Based RPG
Pros: It has very creative characters, enemies, plot, and items. The music is great, very catchy.
Cons: I can't think of any.

Name: Super Mario RPG
Platform: SNES, Virtual Console
Genre: Adventure Turn-Based RPG
Pros: It has very creative characters, enemies, plot, and items. The music is great, very catchy.
Cons: I can't think of any.
Cons: it's limited/expectable story-wise, there's no real strategy beyond which party members you have in your lineup.
also see: my review of the game

Name: Cat Planet
Platform: PeeCee
Genre: Platforming/Adventure
Pros: a free game with compelling story, characters, and a lush, vivid world for you to explore. also runs on basically every computer that is able to open this web page.
Cons: short, can be difficult at times
Link: http://cat-pla.net/catplanet.zip

Name: Little Big Planet 2
Platform: PS3
Pros: Loads of new features and awesome new levels and dlcs.
Cons: Kinda easy and childish storyline

I'm looking to invest alot my time in a new RPG. I've been playing alot of Oblivion lately. I have played Morrowind, FF4 & 5, KOTOR, Mass Effect 1 & 2. I'd prefer them to be on PC or 360.
So, give me your best TBT.

Name: Minecraft
Platform: PC
Pros: Super fun game with endless possibilities. Without a story, the game still manages to put you in the footsteps of the unnamed hero as he tries to survive on the island alone. Once you've gotten used to surviving, the main focus is making the island luxorious. You can build pretty much anyting you want... And it's super satisfying once you find that item you've been hunting or build that sculpture you've been working on.
Cons: At the moment, it's not finished. Not necessarily a con, but it does have a few lag issues and bugs as of now. It can also be kind of frusturating (especially dying with a full inventory) and it more or less leaves you without any instruction on what to do (luckily there's a wiki you can use to figure it all out)

Back