• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

One Chance

AndyB

Retired Staff
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Cherry (Fruit)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/07/one-chance-the-adventure-game-you-can-only-play-once/
Sometimes, Flash-based games catch our collective attention thanks to an innovation so simple it's puzzling that it took a designer so long to put it into practice. That's the case with Awkward Silence Games' One Chance, a simple, side-scrolling adventure title that puts you in the shoes of Dr. Pilgrim. The good doctor has invented a cure for cancer that -- oops! -- will kill every living thing on Earth in six days.

Here's the twist: After you beat the game, you're stuck with the ending you get on your first playthrough (so long as you play along with the limitations of the platform and don't go deleting your browser cache). You don't get a second chance. Hence the name.
What happens to you?

i went to the roof on the second day, didn't talk to the guy 'cause i knew what he was gonna say, and decided to go back

kept walking for a few minutes

got good end

My wife died... or killed herself I really can't tell what that was supposed to be... but I saved the girl on the last day... wait does this mean that me and my daughter are the last living things on earth.... how depressing...
What is the good end?

Sporge27 said:
My wife died... or killed herself I really can't tell what that was supposed to be... but I saved the girl on the last day... wait does this mean that me and my daughter are the last living things on earth.... how depressing...
What is the good end?
INCEST INCEST YEAH YEAH YEAH

Wife died. Went on the last day with my daughter to the park, slowly close our eyes and died on the park bench D:.

Also, for anyone who wants to play it again, incognito mode on Google Chrome worked for me.

L Lawliet said:
Also, for anyone who wants to play it again, incognito mode on Google Chrome worked for me.
That completely negates the point of the game though. The game isn't supposed to have replay value, nor be any sense of "puzzle", it's simply meant to show you that there are consequences for your actions.

Jas0n said:
L Lawliet said:
That completely negates the point of the game though. The game isn't supposed to have replay value, nor be any sense of "puzzle", it's simply meant to show you that there are consequences for your actions.
This is L Lawliet we're talking about here.

some guy on newgrounds said:
I wish we could make a boundary to how far "art" games can go before they aren't actually games.

I logged on to newgrounds today to have some fun but instead got a "game" that consisted of holding down the Right button and dealing with "consequences" that are not of my control in the game and frankly aren't even coherent to the choices that I made.

Its almost like you just wan't us to play this "game" so you can impose an impossible chance of winning or success to spew a message that I don't even rightly understand.

On the bright side, you saved me the trouble of not having to play it again by not having that replay button thing.

try a little harder next time.
pretty much agreed.

i just thought it was pretty BS that after you go to the roof once, youre *censored.3.0*ed for the rest of the game. and it's just *censored.2.0* to play. but i guess it isn't really supposed to be a game.. right? :/

oh well.

Bacon Boy said:
Jas0n said:
L Lawliet said:
The point of replaying it is to see different outcomes, I mean video games would hardly ever be fun if you made the same decisions in them that you would in real life. So Alfred, shut your ass.

L Lawliet said:
Bacon Boy said:
Jas0n said:
L Lawliet said:
The point of replaying it is to see different outcomes, I mean video games would hardly ever be fun if you made the same decisions in them that you would in real life. So Alfred, shut your ass.
God forbid there be a game that breaks the rules of gaming! This man should be burned alive! /sarcasm

I never understood the term "Shut your ass". If you said Shut your mouth then they can't talk anymore. When you say shut your ass... Well, i'm not sure how that would work, or make someone quit talking.

But then, this is the internet, you don't really talk with your mouth.

Psychonaut said:
some guy on newgrounds said:
I wish we could make a boundary to how far "art" games can go before they aren't actually games.

I logged on to newgrounds today to have some fun but instead got a "game" that consisted of holding down the Right button and dealing with "consequences" that are not of my control in the game and frankly aren't even coherent to the choices that I made.

Its almost like you just wan't us to play this "game" so you can impose an impossible chance of winning or success to spew a message that I don't even rightly understand.

On the bright side, you saved me the trouble of not having to play it again by not having that replay button thing.

try a little harder next time.
pretty much agreed.

i just thought it was pretty BS that after you go to the roof once, youre *censored.3.0*ed for the rest of the game. and it's just *censored.2.0* to play. but i guess it isn't really supposed to be a game.. right? :/

oh well.
I don't agree. It was a simplistic game but it was still a game.

technically you could make a game that was more like a movie just by adding in quicktime events.

I scored on the third to last day, than came home to a dead wife. Does the wife die no matter what? Also, is there a way to find a cure?

Bacon Boy said:
L Lawliet said:
Bacon Boy said:
Jas0n said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
God forbid there be a game that breaks the rules of gaming! This man should be burned alive! /sarcasm
Words cannot express how idiotic you can be sometimes.

Caleb said:
I scored on the third to last day, than came home to a dead wife. Does the wife die no matter what? Also, is there a way to find a cure?
Spoiler alert.

Yes there is, just work in the lab every single day and on the last day you'll find the cure.

Back